[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I thought Carl Sagan was smart why would he say something so dumb?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

I thought Carl Sagan was smart why would he say something so dumb?
>>
>>8457903
That's true though. Science is agnostic.
>>
File: 1289.jpg (54KB, 450x293px) Image search: [Google]
1289.jpg
54KB, 450x293px
>>8457903
>>
>>8457903
If he is using the formal definition of "evidence" the statement is fine. Under the colloquial definition of "evidence" it is dumb. He probably meant the formal definition of evidence meaning that statement would be like saying: "The fact that we have not seen an event which should increase or decrease our confidence in x does not indicate we should decrease our confidence in x".
>>
>>8457903

yeah its true dumb dumb
>>
>>8457942
>If he is using the formal definition of "evidence" the statement is fine.
No, it isn't. Under the formal definition of evidence, absence of evidence very much is evidence of absence. It may or may not be strong evidence, but it's always nonzero evidence.

What is true is that the absence of PROOF of something is not PROOF of absence. Evidence, not so much.

>"The fact that we have not seen an event which should increase or decrease our confidence in x does not indicate we should decrease our confidence in x".
But that's exactly what we SHOULD do.
>>
File: Probability.png (301KB, 784x656px) Image search: [Google]
Probability.png
301KB, 784x656px
>>8457932
Bullshit, why would anyone lie on the internet of all places.
>>
>>8457956
You seem to not understand the semantics. If we have a sensor that when turned on and in the presence of substance x lights up 80% of the time, when turned on and not in the presence of substance x lights up 5% of the time, and never lights up while turned off. If it is turned off and not lighting up is that absence of evidence of the presence of substance x?
>>
>>8457956
>Under the formal definition of evidence, absence of evidence very much is evidence of absence.
That's absurd. If you have done no research or tests observation of something, then you have no evidence that it exists, an absence of evidence, but it doesn't mean it doesn't exist, it means you have no idea if it exists or not. For instance, if you are outside a barn, and a dog may be inside, and you haven't gone in to look, is it reasonable to say you have proof a dog is not inside? You'll look like quite an idiot if you assert it, and someone else finds the dog just by going inside and pointing it out.
>>
>>8457989
No of course not. But I don't think that's the same thing. If I expect to find evidence of somethings presence and I don't then I should lower my expectation of its presence. That doesn't apply in your scenario since we aren't collecting evidence at all.
>>
>>8457903
So turns out /sci/ is fucking retarded
He's obviously talking about the whole Black Swan thing. Debate semantics all you want you aspies, but its clear what is meant
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.