[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How unhealthy is smoking really?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: Alexandrov_et_al_Tobacco_image.jpg (131KB, 1176x560px) Image search: [Google]
Alexandrov_et_al_Tobacco_image.jpg
131KB, 1176x560px
How unhealthy is smoking really?
>>
Killed more people in the last century than all the wars combined.
That's pretty bad.
>>
>>8454858
After researching it I've come to the conclusion that it's not unhealthy at all, certain groups that try to push a biased scientific view of smoking basically cherry pick the shit out of their studies and data, while completely downplaying the role that certain transmittable diseases have in causing so called smoking-related illnesses. It's called confounding by infectious disease.

http://sphweb.bumc.bu.edu/otlt/MPH-Modules/BS/BS704-EP713_Confounding-EM/BS704-EP713_Confounding-EM4.html

Of course groups like the FDA and WHO don't ever want to consider this so they can claim shit like smoking or meat causes cancer.
>>
>>8454974
$1 has been deposited into your account.
>>
Not the unhealthiest thing you could do, but pretty damn unhealthy.
>>
File: 1442415284911.jpg (35KB, 240x219px) Image search: [Google]
1442415284911.jpg
35KB, 240x219px
>OP is thinly veiled smoking-anon sockpuppet
>>
>>8454981
Tobacco companies have actually been serving anti-smoking agendas for decades now. So I fail to see how the insult of me working for a tobacco company is supposed to work.
>>
File: gottatry.jpg (60KB, 750x545px) Image search: [Google]
gottatry.jpg
60KB, 750x545px
>>8454858
> How unhealthy is smoking really?
You are breathing in thousands of toxic, carcinogenic chemicals, just to get one that you are addicted to.

You tell me.
>>
>>8454974

>tfw when i actually sincerely thought you were going to post some actual evidence for what you said. :(

also i hate when people start appealing to conspiracy because it contributes to exaggerated confirmation biases.
>>
>>8455021
>A Newsweek cover story spread untruths about p53, cancer and smoking: "It's a cell's most elegant defender, a gene called p53. It stops tumors before they grow. But if damaged, it is involved in 60 percent of cancers." This is misleading. In the first place, the protein made by the p53 gene doesn't "stop tumors," it arrests a cell during its cycle of division, so that dna damage can be repaired. If the damage has been repaired, p53 protein levels decline, and cell division continues. If it has not been repaired, the p53 protein causes the cell to die. Most important, the p53 gene doesn't have to be mutated in order for it to fail to work. The action of its protein is blocked if cells contain the polyoma virus large T antigen, human papillomavirus E6 protein, adenovirus E1B 55KD protein, or hepatitis B X protein. Newsweek then spread hysteria about benzopyrene in order to blame smoking: "Most p53 mutations, though, are not inherited. Instead, they arise from a copying error or an attack by a carcinogen. Bulky chemicals, such as the benzopyrene in cigarette smoke, change G to T and C to A, for instance."
>>
>>8454897
[Citation Needed]
>>
It's generally not a good idea to inhale anything other than oxygen.
>>
>>8455036
>appealing to conspiracy
>implying there's no evidence

You could research the amount of scam power put into making smoking look like a health risk, though. You'd be surprised.
>>
>>8455179

if all you inhaled were oxygen you'd die. The air we naturally breathe from the atmosphere is mostly nitrogen.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.