[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Letters of Recommendation (Math)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

I have just suddenly realized I want to go to grad school. If i do well I can pull my GPA up to about a 3.5. Now, next quarter I am taking a class and the professor is a fields medalist and I want to secure a letter of rec from him. How can I do this? I have never met him and this is the only undergrad course he teaches. I must secure an excellent letter from him.
>>
ask him specifically if he would write you a positive reference letter

if he says no, that's good, you just avoided a bad letter
>>
>>8453814
How though? I will only have this one class to get him to know me.
>>
>>8453811
which fields medalist anon?

Anyway it's much better to get a letter from someone who actually knows you. You are not going to get much from someone who prob doesn't even know your name.
>>
>>8453831
zelmanov.

My problem is that I didn't think I wanted to go to graduate school until now, so I didn't make any relationships with my professors. I was hoping to start doing that next term but I am not sure how to go about it.
>>
>>8453811
Ask him a question or two after every class. Ace all his tests. Sit where his eyes would naturally fall (depends on the layout of the lecture hall, but if he's at the lowest point of the room then somewhere at natural eye level for him, maybe 2nd or 3rd row).
After the semester thank him for the extra help he gave you and his patience with a gift that you've made sure he likes (eg. ask his colleagues if he drinks, get him some whisky)
Then when it comes time for letter of recommendations ask him. He should remember you as hard working, attentive, always present and intelligent.

Worked for me
>>
>>8453814
This. Offer to provide him a draft of a letter to lessen any inconvenience on him. That also ensures that they don't miss anything when discussing your best accomplishments.
>>
>>8453839
>>8453816

can't you take another, possibly a graduate-level, course he teaches?
>>
>>8454282
>can't you take another, possibly a graduate-level, course he teaches?
I don't think so. His class has like 6 graduate prerequisites I would need to clear.
>>
>>8453889

you forgot to say he should offer to clean his dick with his saliver infested tounge
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.