[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Linguistics Question

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 4

File: 1.jpg (139KB, 755x607px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
139KB, 755x607px
Hi /sci/,

I'm not sure whether there are any linguists around here but i suppose this is the most appropriate board.

I don't understand this analysis. Can someone explain?

Why is the possessor assumed to be an internal argument? I thought internal argument meant the argument that is merged to the right of the head... surely the possessor is merged to the left and would thus be the specifier/external argument?
the way i understand it the whole analysis rests on the assumption that the possessor is the internal argument, am i wrong?

also, i can't follow the conclusions.. what exactly is this even supposed to prove?

i'm not well-versed in this kind of syntactic theory and in fact do not believe in most of it but i really need to understand this paper...
>>
File: 2.jpg (160KB, 517x694px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
160KB, 517x694px
page 2
>>
File: 3.jpg (142KB, 511x635px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
142KB, 511x635px
page 3
>>
File: 14767716922561.jpg (147KB, 640x923px) Image search: [Google]
14767716922561.jpg
147KB, 640x923px
>>8453083
Would probably have an easier time finding someone in a Humanity board, /his/, /lit/, etc.
Although this is very interesting, thanks
>>
>>8453083

your picture is basically saying that the language may not distinguish between verbs and nouns, using the fact that it uses identical affixes or whatever theyre called to modify both nouns and verbs
>>
>general point
I believe they're saying that the same morphemes seem to apply to both nouns and verbs, but that doesn't mean that nouns and verbs are the same category. For instance, this language uses what looks like the same morpheme is used to mark singular number on nouns and to mark 3rd person on verbs (16a). There's another morpheme which seems to mark possessor on nouns as well as subjects on verbs (16b). Same thing for 16c. You might look at that and conclude that there is no way to differentiate nouns and verbs in this language, so the generative grammar of the language (ie the knowledge state of speakers who know this language) does not have "noun" and "verb" as different syntactic categories. But if you look at what the morphemes are doing semantically, as in 17, it depends on whether the word it attaches to is a noun or a verb.

>why is the possessor an internal argument... it isn't merged to the right of the head
good point. the notion "merged to the right of the head" doesn't exist in a syntactic theory with "merge." when two constituents are merged, there are dominance relations, but no left-to-right linear precedence. the order of elements is thought to be imposed as part of the articulation of the structure, but it's not part of the syntactic representation. so an internal argument is just the complement of V, and it doesn't matter if it appears to the left or right of V in the externalization.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.