[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Billiard Balls Metaphors

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: download_20150319_122931.jpg (158KB, 2048x1158px) Image search: [Google]
download_20150319_122931.jpg
158KB, 2048x1158px
What are billiard balls and pool tables useful for describing or providing a metaphor to in physics and science?

Is there anything that can be adequately described with billiard balls?

On that note, what about some other metaphors commonly used in teaching science, such as the water pressure <--> properties of electricity metaphor, where voltage is pressure and amperage is the volume of water. Do you think these metaphors are useful or suboptimal at best?

Should we stop using metaphors like this altogether in teaching science or are they helpful?
>>
There is some decent analogies between momentum and angular momentum that make it easier to understand one if you got the other.
Same with electronics and heat transfer. You can draw circuit diagrams for the latter and use some of the same tactics to analyse them.

I see no reason not to teach like this.
>>
>>8452643
One of the metaphors billiards balls might help represent is the splitting of the atom, when a tiny particle slams into that big nucleus it makes it unstable and its particles fly apart everywhere, releasing a tremendous energy

Previously they didn't come apart because no billiards balls were flying into them at high speed but now that they are, they come apart and roll across the table and towards one of the six holes (significance of the holes is irrelevant here)
>>
The idea that determinism and randomness are the servants of Conscious agents?
>>
>>8452643
Heisenberg's uncertainty principle,
because poor Werner was a learner,
he couldn't shoot shit.
>>
>>8452804
Wew
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.