[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does practicing produce predictable results?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: chicken_lg.jpg (32KB, 424x454px) Image search: [Google]
chicken_lg.jpg
32KB, 424x454px
From someone who has trouble getting deep into a subject because he fears understanding it completely is largely up to chance. Please describe your journey through "mastery" of a skill.
>>
File: Enough of that.jpg (65KB, 480x169px) Image search: [Google]
Enough of that.jpg
65KB, 480x169px
With that mindset your experience will just be a self-fulfilling prophecy. There's chance involved with whether your problem is solvable or has application you didn't expect, but you can be confident that you'll develop skills if you practice them.

That's human fucking nature, virtually nothing--outside of long distance running--has been shown to have a barrier that cannot be overcome through practice and training.

We're God damn experts at honing a craft through practice and dedication, we've evolved brains that suit just this purpose. This isn't the end, but we're currently the peak of billions of years of biology all culminating in our endless potential. Stop squandering yours because of some wishy washy limpwristed fear and claim the understanding that's rightfully yours.
>>
>>8452514
Ah, thank you for your positive outlook! Now, does understanding count as a skill? Should understanding be honed before diving into a specific skill or does it generally improve as you learn a new skill?
>>
>>8452526
To be more clear: is it okay to learn one skill at a time? Is it crippling to try to learn too many skills at a time? I wish I could learn everything! Should I start with everything, or start with a single thing?
>>
>>8452530
There are pros and cons. Blinkered focus/expert or Jack of all trades/dilettante. My path has been the latter. It's harder in that prowess takes longer, respect of peers may be less, and the big drawback is that learning may never be deep; ultimately we all have to study one system which most closely reflects our core interest, in order to be able to make comparisons and draw conclusions at deeper levels. It has taken me a very long time to do this, but I now enjoy the breadth of knowledge and experience I have alongside the more focused skills of my profession.

Basically, do whatever calls to you. Only you know what is right for you.
>>
>>8452510
In your op I hear fear of failure. You can learn anything. It isn't chance. Don't listen to self-limiting internal conversations.

Two essentials for mastery: good teachers, and perseverance. Perseverance doesn't just mean not giving up, it means working/studying/practising when you really don't want to.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.