[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Physics GRE

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: gre.png (190KB, 1289x1575px) Image search: [Google]
gre.png
190KB, 1289x1575px
Hey /sci/,

I took the physics GRE yesterday (for the second time). Anyone else take it? Thoughts?
>>
File: crying-pepe.jpg (13KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
crying-pepe.jpg
13KB, 300x300px
I took the math gre yesterday for the first time.

Only got to answer about 60% of the questions because I needed to be thoroughly convinced my responses were correct.

Is there hope for me?
>>
>>8446911
If it's like the GRE, and you're 100% sure of your answers, you're definitely in the clear.
For the physics GRE if you get half of answers correct your in the 85th percentile, more than good enough to get into grad school, but then the physics one is infamous... lemme check the scoring guide
>>
>>8446920
If it's like the *Physics GRE
>>
>>8446855
I also took it.
please end my life forever

I didn't know how to approach or guess maybe 1/4 of the problems since i hadn't been exposed to the material before. the rest of it wasn't bad.
>>
>>8446922
All right, so I looked up. Math GRE has 66 questions (physics has 100, I'm surprised math has such an odd number...)
Answering about 60% of the questions is 40 questions.
Assuming they're all correct, that's a raw score of 40 and a scaled score of 730, which is around 67th percentile.
I'd call that pretty good. Definitely enough to get into grad school, assuming you've done research and had good grades...
>>
I took the math yesterday for the second time. First time was in September. I probably did worse this time. I'm Canadian though so I don't have much experience with standardized tests like that.
A buddy of mine did the physics GRE last year and scored a perfect 990 somehow.
>>
>>8446940
Yeah, my only comfort is knowing that I never, ever have to take that fucking bullshit exam ever again. Kickass GPA, 2 REUs, 5 published papers (including one I'm lead author on) and a professor at the university I want to go to told me I'd still be rejected if my score is too low. For fuck's sake, haven't I proven that I'm good at research and classes even if I can't take a piece of shit exam? Whatever
>>
>>8446947
The exam has absolutely nothing to do with intelligence, research potential, or scholarly aptitude.
>>
>>8446946
>A buddy of mine did the physics GRE last year and scored a perfect 990 somehow.
WHAT
Where did they end up going

If you're Canadian, why would you want to come stateside? Aren't there some damn good places in Canada? I was looking at University of Toronto but I don't think I can be bothered to get a visa
>>
>>8446949
Exactly why I find the whole thing fucking maddening
>>
>>8446952
He applied to Princeton, MIT, Caltech, UCSB, Harvard, McGill, University of Toronto IIRC. He got rejected from almost every place except for Princeton... I know he got in there. I found it odd he was rejected from tjose places, since he also had a near perfect GPA, had lots of undergrad research h experience, he even went to work at CERN for a summer. He was the poster child of the smart, studious student. And he wasn't good enough for MIT. Though, he was Canadian as well and perhaps they aren't as nice to foreign applicants. He was also white which may count against him.

I was looking at McGill and U of T, but my professors all went to places like NYU, Stanford, Princeton, Berkeley, etc and they believe that the best chance you have at getting a job in academia comes from going to the best possible school you can go to.
So I won't get into Harvard, but maybe NYU, U Michigan, UIUC, something like that. Hopefully.
>>
>>8446964
Huh. That is weird. I'd think he'd have gotten in in more places. I think some grad schools have a quota for how many international students they take and those often get filled with Asian students with near-perfect scores and grades, but if this guy had a perfect GRE I would've expected him to get in almost everywhere.

Yeah it seems like universities hire mainly from places with big names, but my research advisor would argue that doing a postdoc at one of those big-name places is just as good, as long as it's on the CV somewhere. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Good luck
>>
>>8446978
They said that as well - a good post doc has lots of pull. And of course it's not set in stone, but a good name helps for sure. Good luck to you as well. Do consider Canada - McGill and U of T are both top 20, U of T 14 for math even.
>>
Took the PGRE. Still contemplating suicide. Hoping I got at least a semi-mediocre score.

On the flip side that gravity waves question was a nice freebie.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.