[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Need some help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: download.jpg (18KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
18KB, 275x183px
Can you guys hook me up with a free ebook on basic Linguistics? Our class was tasked to do a Phonological/Lexical/Syntactical/Semantic Comparison of the English Language to other European Language/s and I don't even know how to start. Yeah I'm pretty much of an ass but could you guys help me??
>>
>>8444148
>a free ebook on basic Linguistics
go to bookzz.org and download whatever looks good to you
>>
C'mon guys I know there are some of you who knows Linguistics...
>>
>>8444166
Thanks!
do you know Linguistics? got some tips??
>>
>>8444148
If you know nothing about linguistics you might want to try to get your hands on Language Files. It's extremely general and nontechnical and widely used in intro courses.
>>
>>8444148
90% of my linguistics knowledge is wikipedia. Wikipedia is goat.
>>
>>8444148
Your on /sci/ anon you won't find linguists here just an influx of hierarchal mathfags>physfags/engineerfags>chemfags>biofags.
>>
>>8445328
There are a few on here
>>
>>8444148
https://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4508096/TTC_VIDEO_-_Understanding_Linguistics--The_Science_of_Language

and just start with wikipedia.
proto-indo european, three main european linguistic families: romance, germanic and slavic, english is weird language becuase 1000 most frequent words are almost all germanic, in general 1/3 of english vocabulary is from german, 2/3 is from french/latin.
english pronunciation is really weird just like with french so you get stuff like spelling bees, and kinda uniquely there are about 16000 english syllables
https://www.quora.com/How-many-syllables-exist-in-the-American-English-language
http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/64506/is-there-a-list-of-syllables-contained-in-us-english
other languages like german,polish,spanish,french have just 5-6 thousand
probably because it's germanic-romance hybrid

that should get you started yea?
>>
>>8446036
>english pronunciation is really weird just like with french so you get stuff like spelling bees
other european languages have pretty much 1:1 correspondence between writing and speech, especially spanish, italian and slavic languages, german to lesser degree but you still can learn pronunciation of whole language much faster than with english
also check out IPA
>>
>>8444309
I use this book when I teach intro. It has a lot of flaws and needs to be supplemented by a teacher or real linguistics, but it gives a not-too-inaccurate view of the main topics.

Also, you can find a lot of "real" stuff on ebookzz
>>
>>8444148
If you're interested in historical linguistics you should try "Historical Linguistics: an Introduction" by Lyle Campbell. You can find a pdf with a google search. It's a great introduction to the topic with tons of examples and exercises.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.