[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mars colonization and stanford toruses oh my!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: Mars_23_aug_2003_hubble.jpg (125KB, 1600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Mars_23_aug_2003_hubble.jpg
125KB, 1600x1600px
Sup /sci/, /tg/ here, I'm running a sci-fi tabletop RPG campaign and I want it to be sorta realistic.
(in case you didn't know, tabletop RPG is where nerds get together and pretend they're elves, orcs or, in this case, spaceship pilots, yes, the dungeon and dragons stuff)

General gist of the setting is
>living on earth kinda sucks now (doesn't matter why, global warming, atomic war etc.)
>humanity forced to move outside earth
>builds a few Stanford toruses
>builds a few self-sustaining colonies on mars and satellites, veeery slight terraforming
The setting happens in the space between earth and mars, it's somehow lucrative to trade resources from one place to another and it's just as lucrative to try your hand at robbing those who do, and it pays to protect valuable cargo, also asteroid mining fits somewhere in that cycle of life.

How would space battles work with a tech level only slightly ahead of ours (torpedos, not lasers)?

Feel free to rectify anything that sounds too far fetched.
>>
>>8443121
>>living on earth kinda sucks now (doesn't matter why, global warming, atomic war etc.)
If you want to do tabletop RP properly, it does matter why. No one moves to Mars without a good reason. Stopped reading there tbqh
>>
>>8443124
Just calling it "the great cataclysm" and shrouding in mystery is enough, I'll pull something out of my ass when the time comes, focus is on the here and now.
>>
>>8443121
>How would space battles work with a tech level only slightly ahead of ours (torpedos, not lasers)?

You want to know how wars will work in like 10 years?

Here is our army of hackers. Boom, got access to the enemy spaceship's database just for enough time to print the table with their uses and hashed passwords.

Boom, cracked the hash of their system administrator's password.

Boom, tricked their computers into believing I am the system administraror.

Boom, opened all doors, dropping cargo and humans to space.

Boom, killed anyone.

Who has time for lasers when the opposing team has 10 mathematicians trying to find a way around your security.
>>
>>8443133
>Just calling it "the great cataclysm" and shrouding in mystery is enough
No, it's not. You're doing shit RP and your friends are shit too if they're happy with this.
>>
>>8443121
>and I want it to be sorta realistic
If you already have a few Stanford toruses you are more likely to want to mine Deimos and Phobos rather than settle down on Mars. That is easier wrt. gravity well.
>>
File: 1.jpg (53KB, 476x809px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
53KB, 476x809px
>>8443121
>>>/reddit/
>>
>torus
why?

if you build a torus, you can built an o'neil cylinder.
>>
>>8443136
looks like someone has absolutely no idea on the role of mathematicians in security.
>>
>>8443124
Seriously, a lot needs to happen to earth to make going to mars seem like a good idea. A LOT. Even atomic war, global warming and whatever still makes earth look like a paradise compared to the sterile desert of mars.
>>
>>8444879
seems another one fell for the meme of sterile desert of mars.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.