[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Someone red pill me on petroleum engineering.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: myhc_4647.jpg (11KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
myhc_4647.jpg
11KB, 480x270px
Someone red pill me on petroleum engineering.
>>
High-paying, mentally demanding, often involves international travel, working with some of the largest, most successful corporations to solve some of our society's biggest problems. What's not to love?
>>
>>8441595
Industry going under in your lifetime, have to live close to site and drink your own frack water
>>
>>8441669
>going under in your lifetime
No way, I think it's the future for a long time. After all the tight oil and shale is sucked out there will be a big drive to recover used oil and goo from every nook and cranny in the machinery of mankind in one last ditch to keep civilization moving along. This will require petroleum engineers. Of course only the cream of the class will make it to that level, most will end up petroleum technicians...the hands on goo recovery people.
>>
>>8441669
>Industry going under in your lifetime,
Are you referring to the "peak oil" meme?

>drink your own frack water
You know you can import Fiji bottled water, the tastiest, most environmentally-irresponsible water if you can afford it?
>>
File: back-to-pol.jpg (35KB, 490x290px) Image search: [Google]
back-to-pol.jpg
35KB, 490x290px
>>8441577
>red pill me
gtfo pill-popping im/pol/itic /pol/esmoker
>>
I just like engi but don't want to work with CS and EE betas. that's why i'm thinking about switching. also that pay aint no joke, senpai
>>
someone convince to to go petro engi. i like the idea of working in the most fundamentally important industry in the world but feel like i don't know enough.
>>
>>8441687
you know red pill is a matrix meme?
>>
Very few if any PE majors are getting offers to work in the field out of school now. Most of the companies in the field went through huge layoffs last year.
When/if they start rehiring in the next 1-2 years, they will probably be rehiring experienced people.

This all happened right as enrollment in PE programs was spiking. Field is saturated, and probably will be for a few years yet. The few offers coming in for grads are generally for positions that don't require a degree, and pay about half of whay people were being offered 3-4 yrs ago.
>>
>>8441827
do you know of any articles or resources to read about this? I really want to know if its true or not. Google is covered with mixed reviews.
>>
>>8441595
None of those things are remotely true.
>>
>>8441848
Please inform us, then.
>>
>>8441577
Glorified geoloshits.
>>
>>8441836
There's no mixed about it. That's the situation on the ground at this time in the US.

Could be completely different 3-4 yrs from now if prices go back up over $75/bbl, but I wouldn't gamble on it.

If you really want to go into the industry, your best bet is to switch to Chem or Industrial engineering and try to get on with a midstream company or refiner.
>>
>>8441827
>>8441836

It is 100% true. Worked O&G for years. Redundant this year with thousands of others. Redundancies go all the way from laborers to project managers and directors.

The overproduction in oil and the subsequent drop in price mean projects are shelved and offshore exploration and production is far too expensive to carry out. The world is flooded with oil.

This is the worst period of time to be in oil and gas. Expecting things to improve in the next 2-5 years but it's hard to say if it will ever return to the glory days of <$110 barrel.

When times are good its an exciting and rewarding industry to be a part of. I wouldn't want to discourage you.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.