[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Math classes for cryptography?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 1335326420582.png (492KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1335326420582.png
492KB, 800x600px
I had a question /sci/ I'm doing an undergrad CS major with a Mathematics minor and I'm wanting to specialize in cryptography and hopefully do grad work in the area. These are the Math courses I was going to take:

Calc 3
Discrete Mathematics (two courses of this the cs bullshit one and the actual math one)
Linear Algebra
Abstract Algebra 1 and 2
Number Theory
Coding/Info Theory
and maybe a Mathematics software class?

I'm worried because this cuts out all the analysis related things (numerical/complex/real), and all the Diff Equations/ODE/PDE related things but I'm not sure if this is a mistake or not? Can anyone here speak to how relevant these topics are to crypto?

I also am really on the fence about whether or not I should take a Diff geometry class or a topology class maybe? I know these things are vaguely related to algebraic num theory, but are they essential?

I realize I can take any of these that I end up needing once I'm in grad school buuuut I would rather just start off on the right foot with a well rounded undergrad degree..
>>
Quantum Memechanics.
>>
Crypto is very cross disciplinary and what you mean by crypto is not well defined. Implementing crytography, "pentesting", are distinct from what normally constitutes academic cryptography, and then cryptography itself has different fields. Differential equations wont be too relevant, but you have no chance at understanding components of modular forms, elliptic curves, and arithmetic geometry that make their way into cryptography without even a basic analysis class. Take my advice and dont try to rush things your a fucking undergrad just take eat maths and like it.
>>
File: Untitled.png (620KB, 1060x500px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
620KB, 1060x500px
>>
>>8441512

I don't mean pentesting at all, I meant academic cryptography. And the analysis class I was leaning most heavily toward was Numerical Analysis? In your opinion would an intro num analysis class be enough for me to get my foot in the door of on ECC, and arithmetic geometry?
>>
>>8441523
No, how do you think you can take any of these classes without really knowing how an integral works? This is like trying to go super saiyan before learning how to walk.
>>
Definitely take a real analysis and maybe even some class about functions of one complex variable. I don't know what grad school would even accept you without taking real analysis and complex functions are instrumental in number theory. You might want to take basic ODE's for being well rounded as well.
>>
you should double major or minor in compsci instead. I don't think you appreciate how little any of the compsci classes matter for what you're trying to do.
>>
>>8441530
>you should double major or minor in compsci instead. I don't think you appreciate how little any of the compsci classes matter for what you're trying to do.
Which is why only one computer science class is listed. Reading comprehension before memes friend.
>>
>>8441529
>>8441526

The number theory/code theory and ab algebra classes don't have any analysis as prereqs, so I just sort of made my assumptions based on that and a convo with a geometry grad student friend of mine?

Does this indicate to you guys that those classes are possibly less rigorous than they otherwise should be?
>>
>>8441535
I don't think its possible to make courses like abstract algebra, elliptic curves, arithmetic geometry "less rigorous." These are some of the purest math courses and they wouldnt even exist without rigour. Sometimes elementary number theory is rebranded as just number theory for undergraduates which is not uncommon since it is a subject of infinite complexity and the advanced parts are usually left for graduate studies. If I was in your position I would not be too concerned with the classes since you can easily get the knowledge of a post doc on the internet alone its getting in to graduate school, getting a PhD, and then getting a position thats the hard part.

Not even knowing real analysis before doing a subject like arithmetic geometry is frankly unheard of. Abstract algebra courses can be taught independently from it as with number theory, but the higher you go the more pertinent it becomes. You might be able to build a log cabin on weak foundations but not a skyscaper.
>>
After this conversation, it feels pretty safe for me to say that I need to do at least a couple analysis classes, and that I can probably just forgo most Diff Equation related classes. but what about the geometry stuff? Will diff geometry or topology be something I should exert effort on learning? Or should I put it off until I can take grad school arithmetic geo classes?
>>
>>8441556
Do you think there are actual crypo researchers on sci? If they're here they're not in this thread.

Ask your professors these questions.
>>
>>8441556
You can put it off CS classes are more important than geometry. Do basic real analysis, some kind of complex analysis, statistics, and lots of algebra.
>>
>>8441563

I've found that a lot of the people who post here are very knowledgeable about graduate mathematics.
>>
>>8441512
t. someone who doesn't understand cryptography
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.