[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Post a more insufferable faggot. Protip: you can't.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 32432423412321.jpg (82KB, 960x600px) Image search: [Google]
32432423412321.jpg
82KB, 960x600px
Post a more insufferable faggot.

Protip: you can't.
>>
File: bill-nye.jpg (198KB, 610x442px) Image search: [Google]
bill-nye.jpg
198KB, 610x442px
>>
>>8439422
OP
>>
>>8439429
Come on, Nye is bad, but not this bad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9Mf5UBFvH4
>>
Brian Cox
John Green
Sam Harris
NDT
>>
>>8439434
he's not wrong tho
>>
> Writes a book on atheism, saying that the universe came from nothing (aka a quantum vacuum with net zero energy)
> People point out that "nothingness" doesn't even have energy nor potential to give rise to a universe, even through quantum physics
> Goes on a witch hunt on critics

At least he does SOME research

>>8439521

Out of all of them, Harris takes the cake

> guys, this experiment [Ben Libet's] prove that FREE WILL is not real even though the experiment has faced criticism and the experimenter himself didnt make claims to his conclusions
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Universe_from_Nothing

> The book has been widely panned by physicists and philosophers alike, despite being a popular success.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Albert

> In March 2012, Albert published an extremely negative review of Lawrence Krauss' book A Universe from Nothing: Why There Is Something Rather Than Nothing in the New York Times book review. Krauss, a well-known cosmologist and popular science writer, claimed that his book counters religion and philosophy, and the book was cited by Richard Dawkins as comparable to Darwin’s Origin of Species, on the grounds that it upends the “last trump card of the theologian.”

> Krauss responded in an interview published in The Atlantic calling Albert “moronic” and dismissing the philosophy of science as worthless. In March 2013, The New York Times reported that Albert, who had previously been invited to speak at the Isaac Asimov Memorial Debate at the American Museum of Natural History, was later disinvited. Albert claimed "It sparked a suspicion that Krauss must have demanded that I not be invited. But of course I’ve got no proof."
>>
>Krauss was born in New York City, but spent his childhood in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. He was raised in a Jewish household.[5]
>>
>>8439571

>>8439571
>claimed that his book counters religion and philosophy, and the book was cited by Richard Dawkins as comparable to Darwin’s Origin of Species, on the grounds that it upends the “last trump card of the theologian.
>claimed that his book counters religion and philosophy
>counters religion and philosophy

He might actually post on /r/atheism.
>>
>>8439434
this is one of his better moments imo, he's spot on here.
>>
>>8439559
Is that really how Harris framed it? Ive seen him talk about free will and i cant find any good arguments to support the "existence" of free will.

That we as consciouss actors are slaves of the previous configuration of our universe.

I can understand Dennets emphasis on the experience of agency but i find that "true free will" does not really make sense.

What are some other critics of Harris view on free will?
>>
>>8439900
http://www.ams.org/notices/200902/rtx090200226p.pdf
>>
>>8439422
>be me, fedora-tipping atheist
>watching debate between Laurence Krauss and a muslim over religion
>wanting to see Muslim get BTFO
>Muslim claims there are no actual infinities
>"DUDE PI IS INFINTIE, DON'T YOU KNOW NOTHIN?"
>cringe
>turn off video
>>
>>8439422
I like the guy.

But he done goofed with "A universe from nothing". He might be onto something with getting our universe form a state with no matter and energy. Maybe he is bringing us closer but not all the way.
One thing is to have a provocative title of your book. The other is to defend it by using half truth.

Still like the guy.
>>
>>8439559
I really donno how smart Harris is but his critics seem like the biggest dipshits of all time.
I'm a compatiblist whose thoughts on free will more closely resemble Dennett, but Harris' arguments are pretty spot on. To summarize them the way you did is outright deceptive. There's no way you're that stupid or too lazy to read into his account.
>>
>>8439422
whats wrong with him though?
if you listen to his talks hes actually pretty sensible.
>>
>>8439422
I think you are a more insufferable faggot for 1) using the term faggot as a pejorative and 2) Adding a "Protip".

> Drops mike and walks away.
>>
Harris is incredibly articulate, so just going by that he is among the smartest public figures. His critics often argue that many of his ideas are neither original nor built upon a sound philosophical substrate, but I find these minor issues since what he says is pretty much always driven by pragmatism instead of ideology. The key point is that he's not speaking as a scientist or philosopher, but that he makes pragmatic political and cultural commentary.

Occasionally, though, and more often in recent times, he drops the ball and makes arguments by pure analogy, often not providing anything in terms of justification.
>>
>>8440387
>drops mike
Mike didn't deserve this treatment.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.