[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Trans-Uranium elements

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 21460_web.jpg (19KB, 400x237px) Image search: [Google]
21460_web.jpg
19KB, 400x237px
Do you guys think the island of stability is a thing? What would such super-heavy elements look like? What would their propreties be? Is there anyway to even guess?
>>
>>8438566
Maybe.
No idea.
No idea.
Probably not.
>>
island of stability is just a meme
a few seconds is "stable" compared to the ~nanosecond scale of the other high mass elements
we aren't getting any exotic new materials anytime soon this way
>>
>>8438566
Stable Trans-Uranium elements would make amazing bullets and artilery material.
>>
>>8438566
No, they won't find a new stable isotope. "Island of stability" means relative stability, like >>8438693 said. Even the most optimistic expectations are so short lived that any macroscopic amount of it would literally explode and kill you. Looking for new elements is honestly a dead end and I'm not even sure whether any kind of new insights can be gathered from it.
>>
>>8438566

>Do you guys think the island of stability is a thing?

yes. every time the models for nuclear energy levels/Nucleon binding are refined, the island remains. given what we already see in super-heavy nuclei, such as lead-208, we have very good reason to believe that those models, and the island of stability, are accurate.

>What would their properties be? Is there anyway to even guess?

there are plenty of ways to guess.

I'm too lazy to look up exactly what the predicted elements are right now, but

- If they belong to a given "family" of elements, there s a good chance they will share some features with the family. this is unless we're are filling stable g orbitals or higher, which might introduce some as-of-yet unknown fuckery.
- we will certainly be able to predict phase (solid for most, most likely), melting point and boiling point
- Even if this does happen, we are beginning to have decent numerical tools to deal with the properties of valence orbitals, so we should be able to predict some shit
- We'll be able to predict spectra from the get go, or at least approximate them very well.
-closely related, we'll be able to predict ionization energies
- they'll all be heavy as fuck.
>>
>>8438716

>heavy as fuck

Some, due to relavistic effects, will appear to be in a gas state. Could you imagine a super heavy transactinide element that is a gas?
>>
>>8438908
>A gas so heavy and dense it would sink on water

Absolutely amazing. Where do I donate my money to make this happen?
>>
>>8438925

>Deposit US currency directly into my wallet plox
>>
>>8438908
>>8438925
>A gas so heavy and dense it would sink on water
>and disappear into a pile of radioactive shit before you saw what happened
>>
>>8438950
Plz let us dream you meanie.
>>
>>8438958
FU'C UR PSTABILITY :DDDD
GALF LIFE BROPORTIANAL TO LENGTH OF BENIS
XDDDD
>>
>>8438950

>not getting the irony of what was said

Enjoy your miserable life you cretin
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.