[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how do you deal with it /sci/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 8

File: quinresson attack.jpg (874KB, 1027x1600px) Image search: [Google]
quinresson attack.jpg
874KB, 1027x1600px
I got an electrical engineering degree and an MBA. I've been working as a process engineer in a paper factory for 3 years now. I took the job hoping to move to the Power area, and then move a power plant. We have 3 large steam turbines and produce about 65 MWs.

A lot of my friends don't get why I work here. The work and the old equipment don't bother me. But fuck if I don't get tired of some of the people.

I was working with a supposed chemical engineer yesterday that had been here like 30 or 40 years? Bitch doesn't understand correlations. Or what an R value means. Like they are talking about A causing B causing C causing D, and they have a meeting on it, and we only have digital meters on A and D, so I pull the data and run a correlation on it and send it to them, "yeah, there is some correlation here. The process is worth looking into" and she acts like I'm nuts "A doesn't cause D, what are you thinking?" And I repeat her own words to her, and "yeah, thats true." Like what the fuck woman, you don't understand a fucking scatter plot?

And today she's cutting me off in meetings to talk about what she knows and acting like I'm stupid and I'm sitting there looking at the fucking config files and shit in my notebook. Its right there.

I guess what I'm getting at is I really get tired of the humongous chip older employees have against new STEM. They want you to know everything, and do it on the spot, and treat you like you are stupid for shit they don't understand. I work from like 6:30 AM to 8 PM a lot of days. And I do a lot of shit well.

I mean jesus christ, these people can't get their pics off their cellphones but they want to talk to me like I'm stupid for not remembering 1 of 35,000 different flows at the facility.
>>
Alot of boomer-ish cucks don't comprehend numerical methods. It looks like witchcraft to them. It scares them because they know you can do what would be a year's worth of work for them in like a day. They know they're obsolete, but don't want to admit it.

Just be as patient as you can with them. You'll be in their shoes some day, and you'll probably be a grouch about it too.
>>
File: 1475676539357.png (174KB, 357x520px) Image search: [Google]
1475676539357.png
174KB, 357x520px
>>8437662
>Just be as patient as you can with them. You'll be in their shoes some day, and you'll probably be a grouch about it too.

I have a hard time dreaming up what I could have trouble with that the kids of tomorrow will understand. Maybe there will be a paradigm shift and they will give up on jobs and not understand why I make stuff and don't come live in the woods and eat squirrels.

"Look at you old man, with your math and job and bills. I'm an old man *doop doop dur dee*"
>>
>>8437662
there's alot of managers that "just can't do math", but are in charge of a lot of technical people
>>
File: 1476209237172.jpg (22KB, 268x458px) Image search: [Google]
1476209237172.jpg
22KB, 268x458px
>>8437680
It's not just math.

It is an overall bad shitty attitude.

They place such a huge value on experience based knowledge. And very little importance on your education or ability to learn or your ability to solve new problems.

I am a god damn electrical engineer working as a chemical engineer. I learn new things every day. I teach myself shit everyday. Don't fucking give me the ugho face or snicker in the back of the meeting because I don't know some bullshit that has taken you 40 god damn years to master.
>>
File: 1476383241100.gif (2MB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1476383241100.gif
2MB, 500x375px
Just today the area manager came in at fucking 4 PM and asked if I could figure out how much equivilant water we were wasting by not fixing a machine leaking condensate, based on the size of the make up tank, the brand and make of valve, pressure on the line, and flow.

I had to tell him no. Because 1. it was 5 PM and the engineering draftsman was gone, so I couldn't get the P&ID with the make of the valve on it, and those pressures and flows aren't in DCS or the data historian.

It wasn't the kind of thing that could be done snap snap at 5 PM. Maybe at 7 AM with everyone there.
>>
>>8437697

I guess he wanted me to wave my STEM wand and make it all happen.
>>
File: 1475974923209.png (878KB, 990x488px) Image search: [Google]
1475974923209.png
878KB, 990x488px
>>
>>8437680
That's fine if they're hands-off types who let you take the ball and run with it. Personally prefer to work for these kinds of people.

Then there are people who got where they are by faking it and running anyone competent off before they were found out. When they start pretending they know something and trying to micro-manage it's a shit show.
>>
File: Arpine Hovhannisyands.jpg (1MB, 5760x3840px) Image search: [Google]
Arpine Hovhannisyands.jpg
1MB, 5760x3840px
>>8437801
>Then there are people who got where they are by faking it and running anyone competent off before they were found out. When they start pretending they know something and trying to micro-manage it's a shit show.

you've...met my boss...haven't you?
>>
>>8437832
They're literally everywhere right now.

I blame modern HR practices.
>>
>>8437889

I do too
>>
File: tumblr_o4vzndG5hE1r8ptvvo1_500.jpg (47KB, 500x379px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o4vzndG5hE1r8ptvvo1_500.jpg
47KB, 500x379px
yesterday, one of these same guys asked me if 50% A was more concentrated than 8% A.

I shit you not. This person is probably making 120k to 150k a year.

Mother fucker, have you never purchased juice? Let alone done basic math?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.