[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What happens after death? What is the consensus in the scientific

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 250
Thread images: 21

File: tulevaisuus.jpg (139KB, 500x556px) Image search: [Google]
tulevaisuus.jpg
139KB, 500x556px
What happens after death? What is the consensus in the scientific community?
>>
>>8436960
conciousness ceases as if you were going to sleep but forever.
>>
>>8436965
>Science is my religion.
>>
>>8436965
It's more like how you felt before you were born. Lots of things happen when you sleep such as dreams and sudden feelings of chemicals being released from your body, so I wouldn't say it's like sleeping.
>>
>>8436960
My theory is that you enter some sort of 'database' and are reincarnated.

To tell you the truth, the thought of death scares the shit out of me. I prefer not to think about it.
>>
>>8436960

There's actually a surprisingly large amount of evidence for reincarnation
>>
Truth is, no one fucking knows until the day they take their last breath.

Although there was that one dude on Reddit who said he died and woke up as if from a sleep.
>>
>>8437050
You don't know what the word "theory" means.
>>
>>8436960
Sweet dreams of death.
>>
>>8436960
Science is materialist. So consciousness is the product of material. When that material's structure is changed (by death) it no longer produces consciousness.
>>
>>8437073
Yes, I do, in a non-scientific way.

There's a difference between the common use of the word and the scientific use of the word.
>>
>>8437088
And on a science board, which do you think might be the best one to use?
>>
>>8436960
Arent there people who like were "dead" for some time, like thyre heart stopped, that tell about how it was like a dream like state?
>>
>>8437101
Lots of spooky near death experiences are because ketamine was used as an anesthetic at accident sites and on battlefields, because it doesn't need breathing support.

I've taken near anesthetic levels of ketamine, it's a quasi religious experience.
>>
>>8437088
you're literally on a board based entirely around science, who the fuck do you think you are?
>>
>>8436960
much like being knocked unconscious. But then you die, rigor mortis, then decomp begins almost immediately.
>>
>>8436965
>conciousness ceases as if you were going to sleep but forever

Really? I didn't know the whole Universe ceases existing after the death of individual life.
>>
if you were good you get to go to heaven, but if you were bad you go to hell
this is common knowledge anon
>>
>>8436960
The body is decaying, but that was observed since prehistoric times.

Mainly the observation act ends - the stream of memories end, like you know how you have no memories before approx age of 3 - because the neurons are not melanized, then the memories you have from that early moment - you barely have a personality - you're just an observer ready to be shaped into anything - genes play the most of your behavior at that point.

So your identity journey begins with memories and since that age of 3 you're almost an interrupted stream of recording, storing of memories.

It's obvious that that stream is dependent on neurons - after death they start to decay so your memories, your personality and everything is gone at that point - but also that other thing, the act of observation will be gone since it was also a phenomena of the brain - but don't worry because the exact same phenomena is going to be experienced by your kids, so it will go on as long as humanity survives.
>>
>>8436960
Your brains turns off and your body starts to decompose.
>>
My fear is that we become stuck in our last thought once the brain dies, at least until the brain decomposes.

That alone is reason enough to make sure I die a peaceful death, or better yet, an instant one I don't expect or see coming.
>>
>>8437181
Do not watch Enter the Void.
>>
>>8437035

before i was born, i did not exist

before i die, i do exist

quit it with the "lol its lile pre birth" meme, pre-birth and post-death are two totally different "stages"
>>
File: 2013-08-09-Sleep.jpg (68KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
2013-08-09-Sleep.jpg
68KB, 800x600px
>>8436960
Did you eve noticed that when you sleep, time went by quickly. This is because it take awhile for the conscious brain to shut down. Your brain's consciousness than boots far late in the sleep and thus you perceive 8hrs or more as moments or almost an hour.

The time in between just before sleep and brain booting (time you can not perceive) is the closets thing to experience death (minus any potential dreams), without actually dying.

This is because when you die, you brain truly shuts down forever. All perceptions (even darkness) cease to exist to you, because it was your brain that perceived it as such.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHn7qUVn-w0

Afterwards, you will be recycled by nature to feed bacteria, bugs, and whatever else consumes you; even your brain. This has been the natural order since the very beginning of life, and will likely remain for all of time to come.
>>
File: really.jpg (40KB, 691x680px) Image search: [Google]
really.jpg
40KB, 691x680px
>>8437052
Source?
>>
>le after death there's an ever lasting void meme

Y'all motherfuckers need Alan Watts
https://youtu.be/mMRrCYPxD0I?t=47s
>>
Reminder that even asking this question means you already believe in an immaterial "identity" construct. You cannot be a materialist and ask this.
>>
>>8437251
I don't believe. I know.
>>
>>8436960
The bacteria in your body begins to eat away at your flesh. After enough time passes, external microrganism and bugs begin to eat away at your flesh until your reduced to bone. The process is somewhere along those lines anyway.
>>
>>8437316

t. anon's belief
>>
>>8437328
What if I'm cremated?
>>
>>8437201
Your conciousness stops existing the moment you die so you do too
>>
File: Artistic Smug Penguin.jpg (43KB, 297x274px) Image search: [Google]
Artistic Smug Penguin.jpg
43KB, 297x274px
>>8436960
>All these people saying you'll be going to sleep forever
>Implying you won't wake up from the powerful chemical illusion that is """"existence""""
Prove me wrong cunts. You can't because you can't even prove you existed in the first place.
>>
everything begins and ends in the mind
in death the mind rots

dead is dead
>>
>>8436960
You were dead from the Big Bang until a couple months before birth. Just before you were born your brain finally finished constructing yourself and "you" came to exist. At the moment of your death your brain starts to decompose and deconstruct, and in that moment you cease to exist. Thus you return to your pre-birth state.
>>
>>8437338
That's literally what faith is though, believing in something to make it true, or at least true to you. Which I suppose is all that matters at the end of the day.
>>
Just by describing "nothingness", you already make it into somethingness
>>
>>8437121
when you walk out of a movie theater does the movie keep playing? Who knows? You don't because you left the theater.
>>
>>8437449
>wake up
That's some existence-based vernacular there buddy
>>
>>8436960
this shit is really depressing. if this is the human condition (and i believe it is) why do we revile it so much. why aren't we adapted to accept this nothingness and go about are lives. why is the thing must fundamental to our nature so horrible to us
>>
>>8437769
most fundamental to our nature not must. also i know some people are going to say because if we are adapted to avoid death we will be better at advancing the species. but we can't we both accept death and also have instinct to survive
>>
>>8437769
Because it's not true. "Identities" are a product of language and do not actually exist.
>>
>>8436960
Imagine falling asleep and never waking up or dreaming.
>>
>>8437777
i don't follow. are you saying had language not been invented no entity would ever even consider itself alive
>>
>>8437782
why do you feel the need to restate something that has already been said several times in this thread
>>
>>8437783
It means that applying a label to something doesn't mean it's a thing in itself. An "individual" does not exist, and so the premise of OP's question makes no sense. Whatever people think they see, I can guarantee that it doesn't require throwing out science to explain.
>>
I hate death and I can't accept this.
Every fucking night, at some point I think about it and I have done that every since I was 8 years old.

I am 21 now, and I just can't get over it that I will one day die. The only thing that works, that get me to continue living is to repress these thought of death by studying and competing or just watching movies.
So fuck you op, you made me feel agony again...
>>
>>8437799
i know this fucking feel.
you and me are kindred spirits
>>
This thread literally makes me want to die
>>
Even if we do somehow become immortal, the Universe will end one day
>>
>>8437817

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_fate_of_the_universe

> There is a growing consensus among cosmologists that the universe is flat and will continue to expand forever.
>>
>>8437817
Then escape to a new one. Create white holes to bring in energy. Master space-time and go back in time or exist outside of it. New options that aren't currently available and require more information.
>>
>>8437803
Absolute worst feeling ever, especially when you have dwelled on this existential question for fucking years, every fucking day.

Why can't I be like this guy?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecLpOnpHaZw
(watch 40 seconds in)

Or why can I be like those people in the columbine shootout that managed to pull the trigger? How the hell can they accept death?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB-uO9xE20c&feature=youtu.be&t=466

Every human has asked this existential question, a friend of mine said that it was wonderful that death was just us ceasing to exist and decomposing. How the hell is that wonderful? How can he think like that? Why can't I be like him and stop having this death agony?

My life is under average it is not that my life is good or anything I just like living. If were to lose my sight,my ability to hear, my smell and my ability to feel and walk while still having my rational thinking I would be happy to live, even though I would feel lonely, alone in my own thoughts breathing through a respirator (without even knowing it). I mean, in my thoughts I could potentially just derive all math and prove stuff. Perhaps figure out the P=NP problem just in my mind, without the ability to read, smell, feel or hear.

I do pray, but I pray 'just in case' god actually exists but, it does not calm me knowing that people who doubt god's existence go to hell. However, I myself think that going to hell is better than everything going to dark. Because when I come to hell, it is at that point I will know all the meaning of life and its purpose and that god exists. I rather burn in eternity than experiencing this "it was like before you were born". Fuck that shit!!! I want to know what happens to universe, I want to know if we gonna colonize space, if humanity manages to use teleportation.

Fuck this thing..the only thing every human has in common.
>>
>>8437839
You must not be suffering that much if it's not enough to make you give up your ignorance and accept that humans aren't special.
>>
>>8437852
But I can't convince myself that we aren't special.
It's an irrationaly agony and an irrational unjustifiable fear of death. I just can't cope with the thought of ceasing to exist.

I hate the fact that I am just here waiting to die, it's actually the same reason why I have been driven into reading science because it is through science we can get to know god or if he does exist.
>>
>>8437870
desu I get through life by remembering that the universe/what created it is illogical and either miraculously appeared from nothing, has been around forever, or has an endless cycle of creation behind it. Option 3 WOULD make sense but it wouldn't make sense that suddenly this is the part of the endless cycle that just suddenly "ends", like a heat death or some shit.
>>
>>8437839
Seek help from a psychologist.
>>
>>8437773
No, you wouldn't be able to have both those traits or lots of people wouldn't mind dying.
>>
>>8437839
If God is real, do you think he'd appreciate you only praying to him "just in case"?
>>
The idea of my body decomposing freaks me out desu
>>
File: 1421967387616.jpg (593KB, 674x867px) Image search: [Google]
1421967387616.jpg
593KB, 674x867px
scientific consensus is that your brain rots and with it your consciousness, memories, identity, everything that makes you you
so you just cease to exist

over a decade of experiences in occult practices however made me sure this is not the case, but only for individuals who manage to develop their spirit enough to continue living on a non-physical plane

sadly however pretty much no one is going to achieve it and because of that, we indeed cease to exist, beginning on the physical level and later "dissolving" in the spiritual world

so honestly just enjoy your physical life as long as you can because you are not getting more than that anyway, unless you believe some transhumanist crap like uploading your mind into a computer or whatever

also keep in mind I can't prove it because of the limitations of scientific method and the very nature of spiritual shit being non physical, so you can tip your fedora and call all of this bullshit
because it could very well be as it wouldn't change the fact that we as individual beings will cease to be after physical death
>>
>>8437052
>There's actually a surprisingly large amount of evidence for reincarnation
What a fucking tool.

>>8437088
>Yes, I do, in a non-scientific way.
>There's a difference between the common use of the word and the scientific use of the word.
Actually, no. Just because some people use it incorrectly to mean "something I pulled out of my ass just now" doesn't make that correct.

If you'd care to detail what phenomena your "theory" explains and how then maybe you can call it such.
>>
>>8437799
Stop being such a pussy. Although I was like you for quite a while, get the fuck over yourself. Move past your ego and stop being so self centered. You're not important and neither am I. The sooner you accept that the sooner you'll be free from the anxiety caused by you writing so much what will happen to YOU.
>>
>>8438797
>writing
Worrying*
>>
>>8438236
I pointed that out...
>"but, it does not calm me knowing that people who doubt god's existence go to hell"

>>8438219
But how do you know that?
You will never know it nor prove it. with the existence of life you will at least get to know it.
>>
None of your fucking business.
>>
>>8438797
I know I am not important lol.
I don't want to cease to exist and I repress this by continue living and not thinking about it. But everytime I am reminded I freak out. Don't you freak out aswell? If not, well good for you!

"grow up"
If it was that easy I would, you can't just tell your brain not to be afraid, you can't just make yourself be happy.
>>
I used to worry about death since I was 6 or something. I went to a psychiatrist when I was 20 and got fixed with sertraline in 2 months lol
>>
>>8436960
>What happens after death?
No one knows.

>>8438816
>t. creationist
>>
People explained well what happens to your body in this thread. However I'll tell you what happens to your consciousness.

Before your brain shuts off, it still operates for a few minutes. In that arc of time, DMT is released by your amygdala. Your perception of time dilates and those 7-15 minutes become an eternal lucid dream. What happens inside of it depends on your personal experiences, memories and beliefs. People who claim they see "afterlife" in a near-death experience simply experienced their own make-believe phenomenon.
>>
>>8437839
Since you didn't exist before and there was no existential crisis - know that you'll return to that state after death, no more problems, no more thinking about death.

It's like your dead already - this existence is just death living for a whole for no absolute reason because it's returning to nothingness in the end

Just give your existence some meaning - the way I think about it - is that I landed up in a shitty world, and now If I weight the responsibility of the world on my shoulders and I try to clean as much mess around me as possible I know the next one after me is going to get into a little better world - so that thought it's satisfying enough.
>>
Imagine that moment, maybe when you're old, maybe when you're just middle aged with some kind of disease, or maybe even in a car crash or some kind of accident.
You can feel that your body is finally giving in, and in that final moment as you grasp onto the only reality you've ever known you try in vain to find any rational reason to believe that in a few minutes your mind will still exist.
we'll all be in that moment someday
>>
>>8437077
why does it no longer produce consciousness? your body changes all the time.
>>
>>8437839
you seriously need to learn to relax and let go. it's not easy but it'll help you.
>>
>>8438814
that depends what god you believe in, who says Catholic is the only alternative to atheist?
>>
>>8438922

Fugg
>>
My brain will not allow me to try to think of what eternal unconsciousness would be like. I literally can't imagine it.
>>
>>8438886
Do you have a source for this? I find this conclusion strangely satisfying, like it answers a lot of questions I had.
>>
>>8437237
I like this
framing it in terrestrial logic is a habit that needs to stop
>>
File: Mort_du_fossoyeur.jpg (394KB, 1000x1409px) Image search: [Google]
Mort_du_fossoyeur.jpg
394KB, 1000x1409px
I'm just happy to be here
>>
>die
>experience nothing
>big crunch
>13.7 billion years later
>you're back

make your life good, its yours forever
>>
> people think you experience nothing

isn't "experiencing nothing" an oxymoron?

i just cant wrap myself around how you can fall into a state of no observations and nothingness

i can digest that conscious is believed to be a product of the brain, but its "nothingness" that bugs me, it makes no logical sense

>>8439667

id be OK with this if we can take memories from the past existence to the next one, so i know how to not screw up
>>
Probably whatever happens before you're born.
>>
Most people are terrified of words like "integration" or "assimilation" because their thinking is tethered to Materialism even when they contemplate Spiritual matters, and think that they entail being a cog in the duodenum of the Eschaton. But it seems like Individuality outgrown rather than taken away after Material Death.
>>
>>8437237

watts was an amazing philosopher

one of the only ones who could successfully motivate people while getting materialists butthurt
>>
>>8437799
Can definitely relate. Find God
>>
>>8437200
Watched this on shrooms and MDMA. Would NOT recommend EVER. Just the intro music fills me with dread.
>>
My take is that your consciousness just drifts into nothingness. You're basically asleep but you don't dream at all. We're no different if you step an ant and wonder what happens to them after they die.
>>
>>8436960
>What happens after death? What is the consensus in the scientific community?

There isn't a consensus, because it would be completely unobservable, and thus, not science.
>>
>>8440016

your consciousness is literally made up of blood, tissue and amino acids. stop trying to make this mystical. you die and your brain rots. that's it. forever.
>>
>>8437050
It better be SQL. SQL is the only database worth giving a shit about
>>
It's like none of you have even seen a shadow person. Or had an old dog come back to visit.
Death of the body is not necessarily the death of the spirit. How do we know when we're being watched?
Science just doesn't have all the answers yet.
>>
>>8440240
delete yourself
>>
>>8437807
Then why did you bump it?
"Literally" go fuck yourself.
>>
>>8436960
We live in 1 of an infinite number of universes, I think.

Each universe is or can be different, and has its own set of laws.

Some universes have all powerful gods, some have nothing, some expire in an instant and some never expire.

All existences are available.

Did you get born into a universe which terminates life at death?

Or is this a universe with an afterlife?

Or is this a universe with reincarnation?

Or will 'you' be re-born as another experience in another universe, or the same universe, just out of sheer requirement that all living things have sentience and need to be 'experiencing'

That is, if you and I are sentient.
>>
>>8440204
>DELETE FROM LIFE WHERE IQ<300

Please.
>>
File: 1477140893653.png (190KB, 396x462px) Image search: [Google]
1477140893653.png
190KB, 396x462px
You leave.
>>
>>8440170

Source?
>>
The conscious experience after death is indeterminant. It may not exist at all, it maybe a number of experiences.
>>
>>8437100
>>8437114
It was very clear in the context. Get your foot out of your ass.

>>8438272
Actually, that's exactly what DOES make it correct.
That's how language works, fuckwad.
>>
Your physical body will decompose but your spirit/soul/consciousness-energy will "jump" to the next dimensional plane of existence; as for what that looks like nobody knows.
>>
>>8440240
My dog hasn't come to visit me after his death, at least I don't think so. Maybe I was a bad owner.
>>
>>8436960
You basically fall asleep in a way like sleeping at night but without dreams.
>>
>>8439709
I don't know, ego death while on drugs is probably the closest you can get to real nothingness. you lose all concepts, and if you're not scared, you will experience pure calm. You still experience something though.
>>
>>8437030
this. fucking white people are so retarded.
>>
>>8440993

if you can still experience fear or calmness, then that isn't nothing, its just heightened fear/calmness, depending on what you are like at the moment

>>8440240

i kind of believe in the idea of a soul/spirit/essence/whatever, but thats kind of stretching it
>>
>>8440725
>ITT I make up crazy shit!!!!
>>
>>8441045
?
hey fuck you buddy
>>
>>8441313
Because no one actually knows what the fuck does happen, every single theory in this thread has just as much credibility as anything else because the only people who do know are dead.
>>
>>8441503
The very act of asking the question means you already have completely unjustified beliefs about humans possessing unique "identities."
>>
>>8440269
Can people critique my worldview? Poke holes where it's not sound.
>>
>>8441503
There is nothing mystical or spiritual about consciousness. It is merely the end result of having a biology capable of harboring it. Everything you are begins and ends in the mind. The mind is just blood and tissue, it rots and decays. Your consciousness is lost, it doesn't "jump" to a new dimension. If you want to start making stuff up that's cool, but I'd rather stay in reality.

How can seemingly intelligent people have this duality. On one hand they are totally reasonable yet on the other hand they hold these outlandish sci fi tier beliefs about the afterlife. It just doesn't make any sense.

You might ask me for "source?" or "proof?", My source is that i'm not an imbecile and I actually possess the capacity for rational thought and reason.
>>
File: sadfrenchman.png (1MB, 1092x1023px) Image search: [Google]
sadfrenchman.png
1MB, 1092x1023px
>>8438914
You seem to handle this well, I am not really asking for advice though. Because I know, if i ever get to know that I am about to die I will shit my pants, nonetheless if I have been dwelling for that moment for years. (unless I die in sleep or when I am too old to die from alzheimers).

Consider yourself lucky that you don't freak out then, because the feeling of not accepting death even after a decade of dwelling is brutal. Only way to deal with it is to repress it by escaping from reality (watching movies, scoring 100% on exams, being somebody etc etc).

But I doubt that once the moment comes you will be this calm. You will fucking shit your pants mate.
>>
>>8436960
There's no conscience. As cliched as it sounds it's a matter of faith. I'm rather apatheistic but I dont believe human consciousness ends when your pulse flat-lines. Studying the human body and evolutionary science has strengthened my belief in a 'higher-power' rather than debased it. The metabolic processes, the intricacies in the vascular system, the immune system all seem too complex to be an accident.
>>
>>8437796
That's retarded.
>>
I took LSD a while ago and at the peak, I experienced something interesting. It seemed like I could feel the entire universe. It made our daily lives seem impossibly small and short. I also got this overwhelming urge that we'd all be returning to this much larger place shortly and that was perfectly alright.

Now I understand that this is probably just a comforting story that your brain tells you when entropy inside your nervous system increases past a point where it's usually irrecoverable, but it's comforting nonetheless to know that the process of dying itself won't be that bad. And of course after that, I won't care what happens anyway because I won't be there. I've been way less afraid of death since this experience.
>>
File: asdf.jpg (17KB, 250x298px) Image search: [Google]
asdf.jpg
17KB, 250x298px
>>8437108
>tfw dxm has lost it's magic
>>
>>8442014

I whole-heartedly agree. I mean, look out at the night sky and think of these three things:

*How -vast- space is before you.
*How freaking -long- time has been going on.
*How the heck did life come from the big bang, which is (past-tense) theorized to be made of pure energy?

And a bonus question to ponder: Aside from your body, wow the heck did you get here and why? Is all this really coincidence, and if not then surely the creator of this perceived reality wouldn't let you go about life without leaving a vatst number of hints and cues pointing to him, right?

This seriously can't be coincidence. We don't have absurd physical strength, razor sharp teeth or claws. Yet we dominated the land, air and sea. We're definitely unique.
>>
>>8442068
>tfw deschloroketamine stops even helping depression
>>
>>8437108
Now how about carbogen? That one seems a bit more genuine.
>>
>>8442099
>How the heck did life come from the big bang

Didn't happen overnight, homeslice. It took nearly 1/4th the age of the entire universe to go from simple organic compounds to cells with nucleus here on Earth. it's not so far fetched when you try to fathom the immensity of time involved.

As for the rest of your post, look up anthropic principle.
>>
>>8442099
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2zKNd6wt2E
>>
>>8441969

How do you measure Consciousness?
>>
File: Brain_in_a_vat_(en).png (47KB, 280x298px) Image search: [Google]
Brain_in_a_vat_(en).png
47KB, 280x298px
>>8442099
I'm largely in favour of the simulation theory. To me it is the most logical explanation of our universe. However, this doesn't help much with the concept of consciousness. In-fact, consciousness in a simulation seems somewhat counter-intuitive.

So if this is all a simulation maybe there is a chance that we will "wake up" in some higher universe. Such a fascinating thought, would we suddenly wake up, just connected to a machine.

I am wondering about these higher universe beings, I have a feeling that they might look like us, because that could likely be something they would like to simulate.

What if this is all a game for them? What if when I die I wake up and its like a recreational activity of plugging yourself in and forgetting all your previous knowledge just to be born again as a 'game'. To live out this whole life, die, then reawaken in the overworld with this experience.

I also think it is possible that these simulations could be run for knowledge purposes, to simulate worlds with different initial conditions and to explore the different outcomes.

To me the simulation theory is also very solipsistic, how do I know that you are actually experiencing consciousness like I am? How can I tell that everyone else in this universe is just a simulated robot and I am the player?

Honestly I am so fucking scared, I don't like thinking about it and would rather be blissfully ignorant. The existential crisis is strong.

Also to all those retards suggesting 'reincarnation'. I think it is a heavily flawed concept. How does reincarnation make any sense if you retain no memory of your past life? What difference would normal birth be from reincarnation?

I would greatly appreciate anyone's thoughts.
:''(
>>
>>8437237

No this makes me want to cut my head off.

> "To go to sleep and never wake up"

FUCK NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
>>
I once overdosed on MDMA and had hallucinations depicting infinity. Specifically, infinite concentric circles. Was pretty cool. Definitely felt like a divine experience.
>>
Nobody knows, we don't even know what consciousness is, or if we have truly free will.
>>
28 grams of your weight drops in the moment of death no matter the cause, sex, age, body weight
>>
This is a long as fuck thread to say that nobody alive knows or will ever know
>>
>>8442232
Not exactly true. Bad research practices and too few studies done to determine this.

Dumb memed-faggot
>>
>>8436960
The same thing that was happening before you were born you idiots. Havent we all been dead already once?
>>
>>8442099
Life is but a by-product of complex chemistry
>>
>>8442194
>So if this is all a simulation maybe there is a chance that we will "wake up" in some higher universe

I'm tempted to believe based on latest findings that consciousness plays an important role in the universe, but as some new findings suggests - there doesn't seem to be one unified consciousness field - rather more of them.

I don't think there's a wake up as you - but rather a state of unity between everything you experienced unless you literally wake up after death as a higher state of consciousness that could anyway access your biological self anytime since past is never gone - it just sits there forever.
>>
>>8442256

After I click Post this comment will disappear because it didn't exist before I wrote it.
>>
Does a new flame come out every time you turn on a lighter, or is it the same flame being rekindled? You are just conscious awareness, who is to say "you" continue to exist after your conscious awareness turns off every night? What if everytime you wake up your brain doesn't turn on the same consciousness, but rather starts up a new consciousness? Maybe you have only been alive since this morning and won't even see tomorrow. If so, final death only means something to your loved ones.
>>
This is why I hope UFOs are real space aliens because they may finally make contact and give us the secret to eternal life. Only way any of us are going to avoid death.
>>
>>8442335
Interesting thought.

The way I first heard it was:

"How can you be sure that you didn't just spawn right now in the present, with all your memories, believing you had a past."
>>
Ever had surgery where your put under anesthesia? It's like that, but forever. No memories, no thoughts, no perception of anything, including time. It's as if you never even existed; Or as far as it would matter to you anyway. Don't delude yourselves with what you want to happen or what you dream of to make it more pleasant in your eyes. You know the reality cannot be anything other than this.
>>
>>8442356
>You know the reality cannot be anything other than this.

This sounds like something a Bronze Age desert Death cultist would say.
>>
>>8442422
>Muh quantum consciousness

Go back to your Spirit Science Facebook page then if you can't handle the truth.
>>
>>8442256

> le we were dead before we were born meme

Do the faggots thumping this shit not understand that we didn't exist before birth, but existed before death?

Quit trying to be deep when you are wrong
>>
>>8442356

Either there is something or nothing after death, but there is a "thing"

However, when you dissect "nothingness", "nothingness" is an abstract concept as there can never be nothingness as an experience. And as for the nothingness of deep sleep and anesthesia, it is bounded by states in which you are conscious, so even then it doesn't provide a good model of true nothingness, if it even exists

Once you even mention nothingness, it becomes somethingness

For me, it makes more sense that there is something after death, opposed to nothing
>>
>>8436960
>consensus
as if everyone did surveys about everything

Death is the cessation of the relevant electro-chemical feedback processes wherever they happen to occur.

You just STOP and no more (YOU)
non-existence of what didn't exist in the first place is what "happens"

You have no soul, nothing to continue as "you", so nothing happens because there is no one for it to happen to
>>
>>8436960
There are so many disorders and cases of abnormal self-perception and consciousness that it's reasonable to dismiss any notion of coherent souls surviving death. Consciousness as a fundamental property of the universe is more difficult to rule out, but it's pretty much certain that personhood, thought and perception are emergent properties of the brain. Alter or destroy the brain and you alter or destroy the person. That's all we have ever observed. Counter to that stand only a few witness testimonies which have reasonable alternative justifications more in line with the rest of our observations.
>>
>>8442459

What is the truth? Consciousness cannot be reduced to a single unit of measurement or even observed in the Material world. That means it's not generated by Matter. That is the natural and only conclusion of looking at it from a Materialist perspective.
>>
>>8442459
>>8442612

>Spirituality: Consciousness is not generated by Matter
>Materialism: Consciousness is not generated by Matter
>>
>>8437799
I'm quite the contrast. I can't wait to die. Not in the "hurr I'm depressed life sucks I wanna die." I just want to experience it I'm ready to see what happens. Life's awesome and I'm gonna live it but in the back of my mind I'm ready to die
>>
>>8439709
>isn't "experiencing nothing" an oxymoron?
Only because of the ambiguity of our language. There's no perceptible experience of "nothing", just a complete absence of experience at all. It's the end of consciousness, because consciousness is a system of detected inputs and internal processes, and when death happens, all these processes cease. No eternal void. No "sleep", no regret or relief. No you.
>>
why are there so many people saying the same thing. why does someone read this thread read the answer "nothing" and think they need to post it again?
>>
>>8442916
>>
Nothing.
>>
>>8437200
>>8440015
Watched this movie a long time ago and almost forgot about it until I recently walked through Shinjuku and recognized that god damn parking lot where the two guys walked.
>>
>>8442194
>how do I know that you are actually experiencing consciousness like I am?
Well, how do I know the same about you?
>>
>>8438886
So if you shoot yourself in the head you pretty much fucked your chance of going to heaven.
>>
Well yes
You do exist after death.
The physical matter you were made of to be precise. It simply gets broken into pieces and recycled.
The state of expriencing is what disappears.
>>
>>8443318
You don't. Is there anyway we ever will?
>>
>>8443359
what if you just get your face caved in?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDcHNjsE3tU
>>
''Does Man think we cannot assemble his bones? We actually have a knowledge to proportion even their fingertips.''
After death you will be waiting until the doom comes. and that day every human living lived in this pale blue dot will be ressurrected by Allah. You believe it or not it is up to you no obligation. Long live Hell for the Non-believers and evils.
>>
>>8436960
>What is the consensus in the scientific community?
You die.
>>
>>8436960
>gibs muh romanticism
You rot and that's it
>>
>>8436960
The scientific consensus is that it is not known, and decidedly difficult to hypothesise or measure.This, however, does not disqualify any scientifically sound attempt the undertake the latter.
>>
>>8446081

What makes you think that?
>>
>>8441969
*tips fedora*
>>
>>8437796

So we are only self-conscious because of language? What about blind people or mute people, or anyone that has some issue with language? Are they not conscious?
>>
>>8442197
Try a few hits of lsd
>>
File: notweed.jpg (16KB, 480x343px) Image search: [Google]
notweed.jpg
16KB, 480x343px
This thread is fucking me up
>>
>>8443388
Trip dubs. Checked
>>
>>8437833
Memes don't exist pal.
>>
>>8440240
You're pushing it m8. You should go to >>>/x/ m8
>>
>>8440269
Those infinite universes abide by our laws of physics. Their constants like the speed of light are different.
>>
>>8442099
>This seriously can't be coincidence. We don't have absurd physical strength, razor sharp teeth or claws. Yet we dominated the land, air and sea. We're definitely unique.
Intelligence is far superior than claws, strength etc. That's why we survived.
>>
>>8443388
Checked
>>
File: IMG_3559.jpg (212KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3559.jpg
212KB, 1600x1200px
>>8444416
Leave infidel. DEUS VULT!
>>
>>8436960

You crap yourself.
>>
>>8436960
Your body no longer functions well enough to maintain itself. Then eventually it's taken apart (and or falls apart) and gets recycled.
Your 'consciousness' is basically a program running on your neurons similar to an I/O and UI. When the wetware it's on is destroyed, it will be aswell.
>>
File: macdowall-lassie-lassiecomehome.jpg (19KB, 496x368px) Image search: [Google]
macdowall-lassie-lassiecomehome.jpg
19KB, 496x368px
>>8446711
So I will never see my dead doge again?
>>
>>8446711
Cool assumptions bro.
>>
>>8442194

>To me it is the most logical explanation of our universe

That's only because you think it is. I thought the most logical explanation is that "nothing" is unstable because there's no laws of physics, therefore its entirely logical in the absence of laws of physics that laws of physics would spontaneously arise, because there's nothing stopping them. But that explanation only makes sense because I'm just doing what religious people do, adding another cause that only works because I've created the internal logic of it. God works because you get to make the rules: that God is eternal. My nothing theory works because I've, again, set the rules of what happens when there is nothing. Your simulation theory works because you've created the axiom that we are in a simulation, therefore we are.

In reality, we just don't fucking know. That's it really.

>So if this is all a simulation maybe there is a chance that we will "wake up" in some higher universe.

Not if we don't have "real" bodies. If we create a conscious program, it will have no way to escape it's mechanical prison other than for outside agents to pull it out by giving it perception of the outside world, in this case plugging the program into hardware that will give the ability to sense what we want it to sense.
>>
>>8442281

That's my crutch. I could believe consciousness was an illusion no problem if each individual didn't have discreet experiences, which pins the phenomena down as "real" and to the action of neurons.
>>
Do you remember anything before you were born?

I'm guessing it'll be like that.
>>
>>8436960
>consensus in the scientific community
no one knows anyting u fucking idiot, fuck off
>>
>>8446968
You've also made the axiom that "humans possess individual unique identities" and because of that, you will never find an answer.
>>
>>8447000

I'm open to that being wrong. But if humans don't possess unique identities, then that opens up just as many strange possibilities.
>>
>>8446972
Define "experience"
Quite frankly all the qualia bullshit can be attributed to pattern recognition or categorization of a specific sensory input. Generally, consciousness is the processing of sensory input.
If you have ever interacted with children, you'll see that they are developing an "excuse engine." Where they do something stupid and then come up with an explanation for what they just did even though it was obvious that they didn't know what they were doing at the time. Normal functioning adults have perfected their excuse engine to a point that it becomes a part of their "self."
So if you combine an excuse engine with sensory processing you have this illusion of free will, the self, and qualia bullshit that one hack always brings up in every discussion.
>>
>>8447018

Sensory input into what?
>>
>>8447021
Sensory input. Action output. Sensory inputs through an organ such as an eye which causes action output in the muscles creating movement for the agent. Now instead of a direct connection, we have the wires connection the sensory input to the action output strech out really long and wrapped around itself so you have a giant ball of wires. Lets call that ball of wires a brain. Although the wiring just got a hell of a lot more complicated, the inputs and outputs are the same.
>>
>>8447032

So then it must be possible to locate where and what consciouness is. After all, certain areas of our brain we are not given any control of, for example, the hyperthalmus. There is at least 1 or more regions of the brain that "we" are contained in, and regions we are not. This creates an observer, and we are the observer. But what is so special about eletricity that causes a unified experience and observer?
>>
>>8447036
Consciousness is the processing of sensory input. Ultimately all the processing must lead to an action. But if the action is carried out immediately after processing is done, the agent become too predictable and basically a zombie. But instead of having the action be carried out immediately, it is, instead placed on a queue and gated by an organ whose only job is to decide if the action get carried through or not (the organ does not know what the action is specifically and we can set it to be automatic by having it wait 10 secs or so before opening). By having all the action go through a gate to wait, new processing can occur such as recalling a memory or observing for more features in the environment. This new processing can cause the action at the gate to proceed or canceled completely depending on training. Now you let the gate open and connect the opening of the gate to the excuse engine and self response and you'll have an agent that can recall memory, be unpredictable, and "intelligent."
If I had to decide a place the "gate", I would put it in the thalamus since all the outputting nerves must enter. An easy experiment but ethically concerning to find the specific place would be lesions studies, slowly cutting away parts of the brain until you reach a place where cutting would cause complete collapse of processing.
>>
>>8447036
Everything is already unified. It isn't unified because of the thing doing the measuring.
>>
>>8447000
>>8447013

You guys have probably read this but its a really nice read.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
>>
consciousness come from the functions of the brain, when you die your brain ceases function therefore your consciousness ceases to continue
>>
>>8447018

What would be the difference between an illusory Self and a real one?
>>
>>8447057

Slowly cutting away parts of your hands will eventually prevent you from posting stupid comments. Posting comments is the tension and relaxation of fingers.

Can you refrain from replaying to this? I am illusory after all.
>>
>>8436960
Life is an illusion by itself. All that you know and have ever known is the result of chemicals in your brain giving you the idea of free will and learning new things. If these chemicals stop being spread around and transporting information, their ability to 'feed' you the information of your thoughts and your surroundings ceases to exist. This happened before you were born up until the first moments you started to consciously remember things. We don't remember anything from before we were born because the chemical reactions that create the illusion of life were not active enough yet, or did not exist yet. When we die, the chemical processes stop again and we will feel the same as before they started to react with one another.

In conclusion, being death will be the same as being unborn. We won't know it and if there would be a way to live again, we wouldn't be able to remember what it was like to be dead. The illusion of life would just continue.
>>
>>8437077

Unsound argument you've made there.
>>
>>8436960

> What happens after death?

You return to Valhalla
>>
>>8447018

Categorization and pattern recognition sound realistic, however they don't explain subjectivity

Not that we should resort to mystical explanations, but that subjectivity seems to be more complex than what you atrribute it to. For example, why do some TV shows bore some but excite others if there is no sensory input other than visual and audio? Or, why do we want to be able to receive input (audio) when we watch TV, why not settle for just the image?
>>
HOLY FUCK, once your brain ends, you mo longer exist, you are gone FOREVER, not only two or three googleplexes, but forever; once you say goodbye, its goodbye!!!!

So many of you idiots should just go find out for yourselves, you won't be with loved ones or lost pets in a cloud world with a sky daddy, you simply don't exist!

Atheism is forever! Atheism is the answer! Fuck religion and fuck fantasy

There are better voices than the ones who espouse an afterlife. Listen to geniuses like Carl Sagan, Christopher Hitchens, Bill Nye - all of whom destroyed your happy magical place

Hoo-rah
>>
>>8437799
It's part of life, anon. It's the never ending cycle after death...comes life and after life comes death and so on.
You have to accept it, though you won't actually cease to exist, you came from the stars, anon and you will continue to be with the stars.
>>
>>8447941
People react differently due to their experience. Our brain is adaptive, our recognition systems are different from one another depending on what we have personally encountered. What happens to us in our infancy have an effect on our actions twenty years later. If we have a bad experience with spiders at an early age, we may avoid shows about spider even in adulthood. Experience is nothing special in itself. It is simply what an agent has encountered and interacted with. People tend to forget that our brains are molded from years and years of interaction within an environment. Our ability to drive a car, to type on a computer, is built upon trial and errors of decades and decades of living life.
>>8447495
None. That's where no self in Buddhism is trying to describe. In fact there are documented cases where the self recognition of a person is screwed up such as in split brain patients who makes an excuse for what the other side of the body is doing. In BIID, people want to amputate one of their own limbs because they don't associate that particular limb with themselves.
>>
>>8447949
That was beautiful anon
>>
iv been put under a few times, it just fades to black really.

as i religious person im not sure what to make of it..

cant deny the "universe" exists.. but i aint too good at the game.
>>
>>8436960
the ride is over. nothing happens any more. you go back to no exist as before being born. please stop with other bullshit this is a serious broad. if you want stories to make you feel better about death go to /x/
>>
>>8437799
it sucks but don't be worry. once you're dead your brain will turn off and you wont exist, it's like before being born. so enjoy the ride, do bad things if you want, at the end once your are dead it will be like it didnt happen because your memory will dissapear as well.
>>
>>8437769
Because existing is better than not existing.
>>
>>8446778
If you can regenerate its brain and get the neurons working, you dog will literally come back to life.

The main issue with human immortality is this shitty biological form, we are in a sense trapped inside of these neurons of ours because our consiousness is caused by them as far we know, even our emotions are just neural interactions.
>>
>>8438922
I will instead try to imagine my waifu in my own fantasy world which is really my only reality anyway.
>>
File: deadman.jpg (179KB, 1047x1572px) Image search: [Google]
deadman.jpg
179KB, 1047x1572px
>>8436960
> What happens after death?
You start smelling up the place.

Some posters here already have a head start on that effect.
>>
>>8436960

Your body decays

if you are cremated, your burnt ashes lie in a container or spread throughout in an enviornment.

The consensus is your body decays including your brain

Religion covers the mumbo jumbo with your soul being sent to heaven or hell.
>>
>>8449452

> hurr idiots y u speak about philosophy on my secret forum go to /x/ for philosophy u retards

Does it give you purpose in life, to pretend to be smart?
>>
Ask the juden in israel.
>>
>>8442064
interestingly enough, you're not the only person with a experience like this. we are many. may it be through drugs, meditation or any kind of religious experience.
>>
File: waterdrop-large[1].jpg (23KB, 452x265px) Image search: [Google]
waterdrop-large[1].jpg
23KB, 452x265px
you return to the ocean.
>>
Anyone else looking forward to the state of death?

Sounds pretty relaxing to be honest.
>>
>>8437050
Do you believe that you can be reincarnated as someone/something in the past? If so, I remember reading something about this and it said that if that's what happens, you are everyone and everyone is you, as at some point you will live everyone life. You are the person you saw giving the weather, you're the person you passed on the street and you're the person you see in the mirror.

And if there's a god, there is no one but you, him and the devil
>>
>>8437101
>>8437066
But they woke up and could still think, so their brain cells by and large did not die. If their heart had stopped for longer and their brain died, there would be no dreaming and no experience ever again for that person.
>>
>>8449674
It is equivalent to if you suffered total brain death from hypoxia, you and all your memories destroyed, and existed in an irreparable persistent vegetative state with utter lack of consciousness forever.
>>
>>8449674
As you get older, your tune may change. It's like being on death row and you're brave until they're walking you to the gas chamber and then your instincts kick in.
>>
>>8437237
Conscioussness stops, it's nto "an everlasting void", it's just nothing, just that, you stop existing. It's simple as hell.

>You can't have an experience of nothing
Of fucking course not, you just stop having experiences

I hate metaphysics it's just nonsense
>You are everything because you can't not be
No fucking sense
>>
>>8439709
It would be more accurate to say that you stop experiencing
>>
>>8441969
There's nothing sci-fi about this thread, sci-fi is about having ideas, evolving and progressing into a better future
>>
Why is the concept of ceasing to experience so hard to understand for most people? It seems like everyone arguing about this "hard problem of consciousness" just doesn't understand that concept
>>
The real question that cannot even begin to be answered by science is not why does conciousness cease, but more so,. what the fuck is conciousness in the first place

it would seem that its tied to something material

but it is know that the body will replace absolutely every fucking last molecule in its body every couple of years, so what? conciousness comes from an arrangement of molucules even if its not the same ones?
>>
>>8436960
The general consensus is that your heart is weighed against a feather to see how full of sin it is, if it weighs more it's eaten by a monster and your consciousness dies, otherwise you get to go and enjoy heaven.
>>
>>8449801
He wasn't talking about the process of dying (which is horrible) but the state of being dead AKA not existing on this fucking planet anymore. No thoughts, no pain, no desires, no judgement...
>>
>>8449914
You'd already know the answer if you looked at the empirical properties of consciousness instead of going off of common assumptions.
>>
File: doge.png (828KB, 1166x522px) Image search: [Google]
doge.png
828KB, 1166x522px
>>8449460
I already cremated his body over 3 years ago. Can I still regenerate his brain and bring him back to life?
>>
>>8449812
Who said metaphysics is about science? Just leave that to poets and authors, you dummy autist.
>>
>>8446840
>explanations of what happens after death as told by living people can be anything other than assumption

ok
>>
>>8450549
Having "after death" as a concept already relies on you making assumptions about human uniqueness, and I don't think you realize how big of an assumption that is because you live in a culture that accepts it so casually.
>>
>>8450562
ok. its all assumptions. my point is what are you doing here assuming things if you are so against assumption
>>
>>8450225
That was a cute dogger
Rip tight, pupper
>>
>>8436960
There is no consensus about something that can't be experienced and reported back. There are theories, convictions of people that want this world not to end for them or the opposite, there are pleople that think they're the same with the universe, that their light will never burn out, and so on.

I try not to think about it, but sometimes it hits. I was thinking it's probably the most important things in your life. It gives you landmark, it puts an end to your journey, a destination. It gives you, people, a reason to live and accomplish things, to fulfill something they wanted, or not.

When this shit happens lately I just listen/play something or open space engine.
>>
>>8436960
Countless of trillions of years will pass in what you perceive as an instant, until you are reborn as random quantum fluctuations give rise to an identical copy of yourself... Although this sounds unlikely, over a long enough timescale it is actually inevitable
>>
>>8442343
This is basically the 'swamp man' thought experiment

And statistically it is much more likely that you and all your memories spontaneously appeared just a few moments ago than evolved from an even lower entropy state as we intuitively believe... All very mind boggling!
>>
>>8449737
Are you referring the egg?
>>
>>8438272
Actually that's exactly how language DOES work. It sucks, I know, but words can be corrupted and abused. If the majority of English speakers decide that "theory" means "I pulled this outta my ass," you're powerless against its change in meaning.
>>
>>8449458
lol
>>
>>8437201
>>8437201
but you did exist b4 you where born, as molecules in your fathers balls
>>
>>8449674
yep
>>
>>8451651

not my consciousness though

not "me", but a cell that could become me
>>
>>8436960
Honestly I fucking fear death. I am 18year old and a STEM student and I believe in Science. but honestly thinking about what happens to Consciousness makes me shit. I relate it to going to sleep. I have mild insomnia so am not a fast sleeper. Every Night, when I lie down, I think of capturing or experiencing the exact moment I go to sleep. the moment where the next thing you realize is that its morning. I always try to capture that moment, but in vain. how does that happen? I think it's similar to death in some way. Your Consciousness dies for full time you are asleep. Yet I have never found out that exact moment. I know this is absurd because how can I experience something like sleep whose whole purpose is to not have feeling of being experienced. but yeah.(No am not autistic)
>>
>>8453562
you cant find that moment dude sorry.
>>
>>8451480

Is the flow of time infinite? If not, then what?
>>
>>8453589
How long will the flow of time be stopped if it ends?
>>
>>8450062
I wasn't talking about the process of dying either. What gave you that impression?
>>
>>8453603
How do you know time doesn't stop all the time? You wouldn't notice.
>>
>>8436960
From what we know, with pure scientific evidence and no spirituality, it just ceases after death, nothing happens
>>
>>8453951
that isn't knowledge, that's speculation
for what we know with pure scientific evidence and no spirituality, we don't fucking know
>>
>>8436960
Not something that you can analyze scientifically, at least in the sense that most people mean, 'after death.'
Thread posts: 250
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.