[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why do antidepressants affect serotonin and not dopamine?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

File: really makes you think.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
really makes you think.gif
2MB, 320x240px
why do antidepressants affect serotonin and not dopamine?
>>
>>8436389
who cares?
The therapeutic effect is almost entirely of a placebo nature for the overwhelming majority of patients who take these drugs.
>>
>>8436389
"Higher expression of serotonin 5-HT(2A) receptors in the postmortem brains of teenage suicide victims."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11870006
>>
>>8436393
I can attest that you're talking shit. Antidepressants do work. Look up postsynaptic 5-HT receptor downregulation for the exact mechanism.
>>
are you asking for a chemical reason or a business reason?

The chemical reason is because dopamine receptors and serotonin receptors are chemically different structures, and the chemical treatments found so far to have an anti-depressant effect and so put to use as antidepressants are chemicals which interact with serotonin receptors.

if you're asking for teh business reason of why don't companies try looking for drugs which will interact with dopamine receptors, I don't know
>>
>>8436389
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dopamine_reuptake_inhibitor

>DRIs are used in the treatment of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and narcolepsy for their psychostimulant effects, and in the treatment of obesity and binge eating disorder for their appetite suppressant effects. They are sometimes used as antidepressants in the treatment of mood disorders, but their use as antidepressants is limited given that strong DRIs have a high abuse potential and legal restrictions on their use.
>>
>>8436406
This is it, however, weaker DRI's such as buprion are widely prescribed. So to answer the question, some antidepressants do work on dopamine.
>>
>>8436397
>I can attest that you're talking shit. Antidepressants do work

Your projection is showing.

Its ok, being a failed normie is not the best feel in the world.
>>
because psychiatry as a "scientific" field is currently based on false premise that the problems arise due to chemical imbalances in the brain
>>
>>8436389
Because dopamine reuptake inhibitors can mess with the reward pathways and cause addiction.
>>
>>8436397
>Antidepressants do work
For most people. I am unwilling to try them again because out of 2 pills they have both taken me from severely depressed to outright suicidal. First one too a few months for it to happen. And then seemed to be stsrting to work and then they plunged be badly.

I have to do without....which is terrible cause it really makes me incappable of a lot
>>
>>8436389
Some do, but I guess it's true that the majority don't. And the short answer to your question is that we just don't know. The fact that SSRI's don't immediately affect depression, but instead take some time (weeks) to become effective, combined with the fact that their efficacy is sub-optimal on the whole, suggests that their mechanisms of action aren't directly related to serotonin function itself. Rather, they're believed to trigger homeostatic processes that in turn reduce the symptoms of depression.

As an aside, dopamine isn't simply the 'happiness' chemical, as it's sometimes portrayed. Dopamine (and catecholamines in general) doesn't have clear unidirectional effects in terms of its influence on target neurons, but instead serves to non-linearly alter the response gain of target neurons (i.e. influence the effect that other neurotransmitters have on the target neurons). This means that it's able to subserve a host of complex functions, including reward learning, motor coordination, and global neural coupling.
>>
>>8436573
>false premise
[citation needed]
>>
>>8436792
google it yourself meme-loving faggot
>>
>>8436573
it doesn't need to be caused by chemical imbalances to be effectively treatable with drugs
>>
>>8436809
Duelist shit
>>
>>8436809
I don't need to google anything, you made the claim, so back it up or fuck off.
>>
Because when you have problems with dopamine in your brain you have psychosis (too much) or parkinsons (too little)

some of the tri-cyclic antidepressants hit dopamine and they dont work as well as SSRIs do.

take your prozac and be angsty somewhere else

t. medfag
>>
>>8436820
>muh burden of proof
kys yourself
>>
>>8436832
surrender accepted
>>
>>8436836
*tips trilby*
>>
>>8436841
get fucked autism
>>
>>8436393
work for me
>>
>>8436809
kill yourself faggot
>>
Regards I know
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.