[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is taking notes a meme?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

File: 19L.jpg (114KB, 531x649px) Image search: [Google]
19L.jpg
114KB, 531x649px
Is it, /sci/? I've always taken notes during lectures, however, I never ever read them back. When I need to read important proofs or theorems I just look in the book.
>>
>>8434677
le german fag
>>
>>8434677
>I've always taken notes during lecture

Brainlet pls go
Enjoy being a busywork chump copying the same thing that's in the book
>>
>>8434677
>2016
>professor uploads pdfs of the notes he uses in lecture
>>
i take notes when I go through a book, or in class. but when I have to look shit up I go to the textbook, and never look back at my notes. i think it helps me tho
>>
>>8434677
>2016
>not being born with a glorious photographic memory
Neurotypicals pls go
>>
It helps me remember better if I put it in my own words.
>>
>>8434677
your writing is handsome
>>
Try not writing anything and see how it goes (hint: most likely not well)
>>
>>8434677
Same. The only notes I ever end up using are textbook annotations.
>>
>>8434677
I used to record them, but usually the audio quality turned out to be shit. Not that I ever rewatched that shit.

If I don't understand a problem I just google it.
>>
>>8434677
I take notes to have some vital information and formulas handy whenever, that's all. A notebook is easier to carry around than books, of which I often don't even own a physical copy, and I'm not always sitting at a computer.
>>
does "a meme" mean superfluous?

it's obviously a meme. not taking notes - also a meme. you should look up the word
>>
>>8434677
I take notes because it makes following the lecture much more accurate. That's the whole purpose actually.
>>
>>8434741
poorfag detected
>>
I only write down important stuff that's not obvious and things I have to review later.
>>
I just rewrite the notes down in my own words during the lecture like I'm explaining it back to myself, feels like I understand it better when I do that.
>>
I never read my notes either, but the writing helps me focus on the more important parts of the lecture. Otherwise, I just doodle.
>>
>>8434677
Taking notes:
>Frantically trying to copy down every word on the slides/whiteboard/blackboard when they're all either in the textbook or uploaded online anyways
>Trying to condense and use point form instead of copying every word, have to append that extra thought process for how to condense and abbreviate as you're writing just to make sure you get it all
>Either way, paying more attention to what you're writing than what's being discussed in the lecture
>Lecture's over, you don't understand the concepts/topics very well because you were too busy writing and condensing instead of listening and thinking
>Can't ask questions because lecture's over (assuming you don't get a chance to talk to your prof afterward or they just tell you to pay attention)
>Have to try teaching yourself the concepts afterward, using those same shitty, patchy notes you took
>Instead of paying attention and thinking about the lecture topics so that they inherently make sense to you and you don't have to use rote memorization, now you have to study your ass off for tests because you don't really "know" the topics, and have to (again, using those same shitty notes) force yourself to memorize the sounds and shapes of the words themselves

Yeah. I learned to put my pen down and actually fucking listen and pay attention by my third year of Uni.
>>
>>8434943
Mmm, not really. Am a junior myself, and I find that taking notes keeps me anchored to the lecture.

Also,
>Not reading the material beforehand
>Slow writer can't keep up
>>
>>8434677
I've never taken notes and I don't get much from lectures either. It's all about how much you study and how you learn your shit in a logical sequence.

I haven't taken all my exams from the first try though so I'm probably wrong.
>>
>>8434943
"taking notes" <> "writing everything down like a robot", dumbass. You just listen to the class and write down what you think is important or what you think you might not remember, or do the proofs concurrently or do whatever the fuck you want but you are actually involved in the lecture.
Also, the mechanism of writing forces you to formulate things in your own words, helps you memorize and helps you cement your knowledge, even if you never read your notes again.
>>
>>8434677
It helps with memorizing it the first time. I don't go back either but it helps me focus and remember better
>>
>>8434677
I use it as a focusing technique, and write down any interesting ideas I have. And to write down important information the professor gives that might not be mentioned in the book. But honestly for me taking notes is almost an artistic or meditative exercise. I like to have a nice looking book filled with beautifully written math notes. Even if I don't ever need to look at them. Just makes me happy.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.