[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"But I'm just not good at Math" by Aaron Clarey

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 2

File: Aaron Clarey.jpg (19KB, 212x182px) Image search: [Google]
Aaron Clarey.jpg
19KB, 212x182px
Is he right, /sci/? Do people who say they're not good at Maths just lazy?

https://youtu.be/CH2ZqR02gfk
>>
>>8434237

I used to think the same thing, but the truth of the matter is that some people are genuinely retarded.
>>
>>8434237
Sorry, I just realised I made a typo.

*Are, not 'Do'
>>
>>8434243
This. Seriously I've met people that for the life of them can't rearrange a three term equation.
>>
>>8434243
I asked my aunt a simple algebra question just for fun, like 10 - x = 3 and she could not understand how x could be 7
>>
>>8434258
>>8434243
OP here. Well, I do believe you can improve your Maths ability.

For example, I got a low D in my final exams in Secondary school. I then repeated my exams and got a mid C.

Now, I didn't invent the wheel or anything, but it was definitely an improvement. I just studied harder.

I think you need a certain natural talent to do postgraduate Maths, but I'd argue that secondary school to undergrad Maths is all about hard work.
>>
If your not good at math (and you genuinely try, and put effort into it), it means that you are not intelligent in general and will not be great at anything that uses your mind.

That being said, many people who may actually be good at math simply have never been given a good opurtunity to study it (due to society views, poor education techniques etc.).

I bet you that any smart proffesor of english or history, if they were given a year to study the material, could successfuly master and get top marks in maths.

Why? Because real maths (not calc 1 memorization) uses your brains critical thinking and logic skills. Your ability to intuit and understand a problem. These skills are applied to everything academic. If you have insight, you will have insight into every field you focus in.
>>
>>8434266
yes, this.
>>
>>8434266
Well, I mean, I have an IQ of 114. I know it's not genius level or anything, but it's not terrible either.

But I sucked at Maths. Looking back on it now, I realise that I was just too fucking lazy in Secondary school. I started to like Maths far too late.

I could have done it if I really tried, but retard 16-year-old me thought "I'll just take lower level Maths instead of the higher level course because I'm a lazy bastard."

It's a serious regret of mine.
>>
>>8434274
>I have an IQ of 114. I know it's not genius level or anything, but it's not terrible either.
I'm 133 and even that is terrible. 145+ is alright, everything below it is a fucking handicap.
>>
>>8434281
I don't believe you.
>>
>>8434274
im sorry, but that is too low for high level maths. High School me decided to take low level NON-pre-calculus in high school. In university i had to self teach myself algebra, precalculus, and then derivatives and integrals in a matter of 4 weeks while concurrentlly doing calc 1 and i was able to do it and understand it even though i had NEVER been exposed to even something as simple as log or eulers number. Because i am not a brainlet, i am able to do this, and then later thrive in maths (it was a very painful semester though, without a doubt my hardest one, even though the material is easy compared to what im doing now).

You may be able to bruteforce calc 1 but you will be weeded out when your introduced to Linear Math
>>
>>8434300
I disagree. I can understand Maths, and I can do the problems if I do them, just like anyone else.

I don't think it's too low for higher level Maths considering that it is above the average IQ.
Though we may have different definitions of higher level Maths, since I likely live in a different country to you (I'm assuming you live in the United States)
>>
>>8434264
Replace x with ?
>>
>>8434264
10-x=3
-x=3-10
x=-3+10
x=7

It took me a second, because it's been so months since I've done a Maths problem, so it just took a second for it to come back to me.
>>
File: 1475528138449.jpg (856KB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1475528138449.jpg
856KB, 2560x1600px
>>8434320
Im scared I will become like you if I dont study stem. Right now im studying something else.

Why its been so long you didn't do math?
>>
>>8434330
Because I'm not studying a Maths-intensive subject right now. I'm studying Nursing.

>become like you

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>8434344
>What did he mean by this?
Not being able to go back to stem

Whatever stem is a meme anyway
>>
>>8434320
Jesus, am I retarded?

I just realised that that's completely the wrong answer?

Why am I making so many fucking mistakes and typos today? How the fuck did it take me so long to catch the problem?

3+10 isn't fucking 7, me. What the fuck?
>>
>>8434320
>>8434356
Wait, it is right. I didn't see the negative sign I put in front of the three.

Okay, I thought I was retarded for a minute. Just put me out of my misery, /sci/.
>>
>tfw ph.d in psychology
>tfw know 3 different languages
>tfw "bi-dialectal"
>tfw learn instruments with ease
>tfw build computers for fun

I have a mental cavity in my head that restricts me from even grasping the most easiest and simplest forms of mathematics. Sure, I can do everything up to basic algebra, but anything from there on, my brain just refuses to take anything in.

Imagine trying to learn something and being so confused by it instantly, then because you're trying to comprehend and understand the confusion, your brain just shuts down due to fatigue.
>>
>>8434266
Bullshit.

I suck at math but can rape every other subject, including physics and its """math,""" with minimal effort.
>>
>>8434344
>I'm studying Nursing.

even more worrying

how are you gonna calculate the required medication for a patient if you have trouble with addition and subtraction?
>>
>>8434420

are you still in high school? middle school maybe?
>>
>>8434431
Senior in University, I hope your academics are better than your guessing.
>>
>>8434237

Why is he shitting on people who are bad at math? Not everyone has time to learn math.
>>
>>8434443
He's shitting on people who say they're bad at Maths and then use that as an excuse to major in Art or some shit.
>>
>>8434446

I don't think anyone does that though
>>
>>8434449
I had a friend who just never tried at Maths and his excuse was always "I'm just bad at it"

Now he's studying English and Film Studies.
>>
>>8434449
You'd be surprised the mental gymnastics people do to justify their stupid decisions just to avoid embarrassment or someone looking down on them
>>
>>8434459
>justify their stupid decisions

Doesn't that mean they're stupid?
>>
>>8434454

Maybe they just don't like it
>>
>>8434462
They may have underlay no regret that they hide by making an excuse for not delving into other things.

They don't say things like "I like what I'm doing more" they instantly go to things that disqualify them as an impossibility by saying "I'm bad at math"
>>
>>8434415
Hey! Guess what! You ARE your brain!
>>
>>8434237
Personally I can't do math in my head. Numbers don't stick in my mind well when I get to the 3rd line of the equation I start forgetting numbers. On paper I'm fine tho, so I'd say I'm not "good" at math
>>
>>8434358

Wew
>>
>>8434420

Either you only took first year physics or your definition of "bad at math" is completely off
>>
>>8434300
How do you determine what is "enough" iq to study high level maths?
>inb4 muh experience
>>
>>8434237
It's true.

Unless you really are fucking retarded, but chance are you're retarded everywhere else, not just in math.

Highschool and college-level math are 80% rote-learning.
>>
>>8434541
I'm a physics major.
>>
>>8434439

aand you studied sociology, and took an intro to physics.
>>
>>8434420
>rape every other subject, including physics

Ah so you are bad at math but can do undergrad physics involving calculus, PDE's, Fourier analysis, linear algebra,.complex analysis, tensor calculations, and other topics in math? This has to be a troll
>>
>>8434358
Thanks for making me literally lol
>>
>>8434566
So both?
>>
>>8434621
Yes.
>>
>>8434237
what a disgusting STEMlord
>>
>>8434237
I'd be much better at math if my math homework had a little more bearing on my final score. So yes.
>>
>>8434274
>>8434281
IQ is a meme.
>>
The math presented in undergrad is accessible to everyone who can make it past the calc series (which is everyone who has bothered to try). It's true that at a certain point one might not be able to "get it," but that's at a Ph.D. Level.

People are bad at low level maths because of bad teaching methods, and the idea that "math is hard," often pushed by the idiots who post here. I.e. "I have an iq!!! Of 140!!! Brainlet!!! Math is too complex 4 anyone with less than my self proclaimed in to understand!!! Kek, enjoy ur state school pleb"
>>
>>8434315
honestly might work.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.