[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Study Habits

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 7

File: download (1).jpg (4KB, 194x259px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
4KB, 194x259px
What are some good /sci/ approved study habits/practices? I breezed through high school and am breezing through my first semester of college, but I know it will get more difficult.

So what do you do to prepare for those really challenging exams to ensure that you will get an A?
>>
File: IMG_20161018_225805.jpg (3MB, 3120x4208px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161018_225805.jpg
3MB, 3120x4208px
I write out my notes over and over till I know my notes off by heart. Usually takes 6 pages to memorise 1. This has been my method of study since secondary school.
>>
>>8433591
Work on mastering the concept from the very beginning. Don't wait to cram before an exam.

If I have a hard class I always get a jump on the course during winter, summer, etc break
>>
>>8433591
I believe it's called the pomorda study guide
Basically:
25 min of uninterrupted work then 5 to 10 minute break
Have every third break be 15 to 30 minutes
Also sq3r survey, question, read, recite, review
>>
>>8433637
I think I know you
>>
>>8433675
Irl?
>>
>>8433591
bump
>>
>>8433591
I do well by attending all lectures, handwriting all my notes, and testing my knowledge through typing it back out from memory (I do this before some exams). I also benefit from video recordings for most of my lectures, so I'm sure to revisit concepts I had trouble with (and I'll usually rewatch them anyway just in case I overlooked some important facts the prof. peppered in).

If the professor says it, I try my best to know it. Usually I only refer to the text if I need an alternative illustration of a concept or extra background to flesh-out any gaps.

And yeah basically make sure you're studying along through the semester; huge study sessions before exams help me, but that's to revisit and keep it solid, not learn it the first time.
>>
File: galois.jpg (215KB, 793x1024px) Image search: [Google]
galois.jpg
215KB, 793x1024px
>>8433637
Truly the brainlet's way of doing things.

The trick to doing undergrad is to not be a tryhard. Go to lecture, pay attention, read the book. If you don't understand something, do what you gotta do to understand it. If you understand everything, then go do something else. Don't waste your time getting bogged down in your classes when you could use that time to expand your mind and learn more stuff outside of class. Because let's face it: these classes pander to the lowest common denominator. Passing your classes for your degree is the bare minimum you should be doing if you want to get anywhere.
>>
>>8433760
I love Galois' smug fucking face.
>>
>>8433760
I know that my way of student isn't everyone's cup of tea, but it works well for me. I know everything inside out so far, and everyday I expand on that.
I read what I write, and I write everything.
>>
>>8433813
My way of student...
Study*
>>
>>8433637
That's fucking autistic. Just take notes why you gotta rewrite them 6 fucking times
>>
>>8433591
Literally just keep up and study bit by bit throughout the year. Then just study a decent amount before the test and your gold.

Personally I just binge study the whole course on adderall for 2 days and dont leave my room
>>
>>8433957
I wish getting adderall or ritalin was easy here, I can only get shit speed. Does the same trick imno
>>
couldn't agree more
>>
>>8433637
i like your handwriting
>>
Pay attention in class
Do homework
Redo homework problems which you struggled with
Review everything before the test

ez pz
>>
>>8433760

>calls guy out for writing notes
>follows that up with "do what you gotta do"
>>
>>8433591
What I do depends on each class. For biology (classes that have a lot of memorization) I usually read the material 3 times, I don't write things, because I can memorize by reading, many times. For classes like physics, I do the exercises required 3 times. For classes like chemistry, I learn the theory quickly, then I do a lo of exercises of many types of situations possible. For humanities and social science classes *read my first sentence.
This works for me, but every person has their own way of studying.
>>
File: 51WKjDEzAcL._SX342_.jpg (26KB, 342x383px) Image search: [Google]
51WKjDEzAcL._SX342_.jpg
26KB, 342x383px
Med fag here. I have to be in "absolute" silence to learn something, so I use a noise cancelling headphone every time I study and it works pretty fine. Also, I don't bring my PC where I study and turn off my phone.
>>
Attend all lectures. Don't be afraid to ask if you're unsure of anything. Don't be afraid of looking stupid. Embrace your ignorance.

Do all the problems you can. The best way to learn is by application. If you don't get given many in class, use textbooks.

Find classmates who are interesting in the subject and discuss it with them. Study with others. At the very least study with others in the room. Teaching others the material is an excellent way of reinforcing your knowledge. Sometimes a second set of eyes can spot a stupid mistake you're making and save you hours. Never try to do it all on your own if you can help it.

Its tempting to skip past small bits you find hard or struggle with, convincing yourself they're not the important. Don't. You will be surprised at some of the insights you gain from working these through to the end.

Don't just aim to pass. Don't even aim for an A. Aim for 100% in every class. There is a huge difference between understanding the concepts and actually having an in depth knowledge of the subject.

Good luck.
>>
File: 1469588894326.jpg (36KB, 670x503px) Image search: [Google]
1469588894326.jpg
36KB, 670x503px
what do when you have no idea what the fuck you're even supposed to know in the class?

why am I having a hard time in linear algebra when I do fine in calc2/3?

What the fuck guys kill me now
>>
>>8433966
>tfw ritalin prescription
feels good man

>>8433591
In terms of actual study practices:

Attend the lectures, and HANDWRITE NOTES. I do so much better handwriting them, because it forces me to think about what the professor is saying and summarize on the fly. I can only write so fast before it's illegible. In addition to this, read the text before going to class. Do at least one or two problems every day, preferably more, but do NOT stop doing them. Try exploring on your own. Come up with your own problems and try to solve them.
>>
File: 1477288785356.png (219KB, 340x368px) Image search: [Google]
1477288785356.png
219KB, 340x368px
>>8433762
Who doesn't? Such a cutiepie.

My method is to read the stuff a few times and let it ferment in the background for a few days. Then rereading it.
>>
Just take notes about things the professor deems important and study those, easy.
>>
Read Cal Newport stuff.

But honestly do the work. Everyone knows what to do. Go to class, ask questions, do practice problems. A significant number of people just don't do it for whatever reason.

If you have a problem with procrastination, try meditation.
>>
>>8434602
How would delaying something by meditating help procrastination
>>
>>8435402
I meditated instead of cleaning my room, and passed the exam. It works.
>>
>>8433637

I do this also.

When those end of exam high difficulty questions roll up I can recognise what I need to be using to solve them, because I have written out my concepts so many times I can recognise their application from any angle.
>>
>>8435402
If you're already a procrastinator then the ten minutes you spend meditating a day won't hurt you, it's the hours upon hours of procrastination that will.
>>
>>8433637

Your handwriting is so beatiful that I can't comprehend it and therefor not read it
>>
>>8433591
Really depends. If it is physics or maths, I just do the exercices and try to understand the "recipe" for success. If it is any other type of classe, where you need to know stuff by heart, I'll summarize my notes then explain all the concepts out loud to my self (alone) or we discuss about it with friends
>>
>>8433644
this

mastering the concept and understanding it's meaning is the key to success
>>
>>8434309
You missed the important part of that: "do what you gotta do to understand it." I guarantee you aren't getting much better understanding by just copying your notes down over and over again. What will lead you to understanding is actually thinking about the material, not regurgitating it.
>>
>>8434337
Look at the syllabus and go to class you fucking retard.

Also, you should've already learned linear algebra fully on your own before you even entered that class. It's like you're not even enthusiastic about your field of study or something.
>>
>>8433637
What kind of pencil do you use?
>>
Go to class, handwrite notes.
The week before the exam, reread all the material that will be covered on the exam all in one sitting and then start doing problems with your notes nearby. Just one or two if each type. Then the next day do another couple of problems without the notes. If you're stuck, reread that section. It's not that hard.
>>
>>8436194
If it's not hard everyone would have perfect GPA and be in MIT/Harvard. Bragging on /sci/ is just sad.
>>
>>8436207
Superiority complexes are disgusting on this board. Best to just ignore them.
>>
>>8436207
>>8436214
Can you honestly say that what I wrote is too hard?
>>
>>8436207
>Implying harvard is hard
American universities are a joke, the amount of information you guys need to learn, to pass is a joke. You would die in Oxford or Cambridge.
>>
>>8436262
Sad but true... Every aspect of our education system needs to be changed ASAP.

MIT looks fine though...
>>
>>8435402
The idea is by meditating you'll be more aware of your emotions. Why do you procrastinate on this particular task, etc.
>>
>>8436419
What do you do to really meditate though? And for it to work?
>>
I didn't attempt the exercises, just "read" the solution manual instead. Teachers said it was a bad study habit but it worked fine for me.
>>
>>8436463
Meditate. Sit soomeplace quiet, with nothing going on. I.e, your desk at home/in your bathroom/ seriously anyplace you won't be distracted.

And you sit. And do absolutely nothing, except breathe and focus lightly on your breathing.

You'll notice all the thoughts come to you as they distract you from your breathing, and you acknowledge them without persuing them, and return to your breath.
>>
>studying

If you have to study, it means you don't understand the material and don't belong in the class.
>>
>>8434337
I don't know about your school, but my school has linear algebra as a primarily proof-based class to be taken after our intro to proofs class. That couthebe part of the issue.
>>
>>8436505
faggot here,
>>
>>8436463
You can focus on your breath or start counting it from one to ten. The point of meditation is that every time you notice your mind wandered from counting you stop thinking and start counting again. You can also try apps like headspace.
>>
>>8436505
>he's still in high school
>>
File: 1472140677907.gif (984KB, 342x239px) Image search: [Google]
1472140677907.gif
984KB, 342x239px
>>8436505
>>
>>8433677
I'll see you this week

:^)
>>
>>8436902
Highly doubt it
>>
>>8436508

My school does this as well. The proofs are pretty trivial, but it wrecks those "smart but lazy" kids so hard and I'm laughing my ass off because I actually read the textbook and do well
>>
>>8436495
Holy shit meditation is the biggest meme. Fuck off Buddha.
>>
>>8433637
why don't you just copy it 6 times lmao
>>
For math/physics just do your homework honestly and do similar problems if you dont understand. Aim for "concept" problems moreso than calculation problems.
>>
>>8433817
Lol you sure showed him. He won't be trying that around here, not now that he knows you're on patrol. Go gettem partner
>>8433591
Get plenty of sleep. I usually rewrite all my notes on the test material in my free hours leading up to the test. It got me through some hard shit.
>>
>>8433591
Uh little things like reading the entire chapter before starting lectures on it in class, re-reading any specific parts if necessary. Asking your teacher questions sooner rather than later. Write quick notes in class and then rewrite and organize them a second time after class. Do roughly twice the amount of assigned problems. Outline troubling chapters. Research problems and descriptions of similar topics from different text books. Teach or help another student in the class learn a topic. Work on homework or extra problems in groups of no more than 3. Uh, and sleep, eat, exercise etc..
>>
>>8433644
https://www.ted.com/talks/sal_khan_let_s_teach_for_mastery_not_test_scores?language=en
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.