[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In this thread we learn Mathematical Analysis 1. Textbook: I'll

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: rudin_cover.jpg (17KB, 317x475px) Image search: [Google]
rudin_cover.jpg
17KB, 317x475px
In this thread we learn Mathematical Analysis 1.
Textbook: I'll be using Pic Related , recommendations are welcome
>>
1.7 Definition: Suppose S is an ordered set, and [math]E \subset S[/math]. If there exists a [math]\beta \subset S[/math] such that [math]x \leq \beta[/math] for every [math]x \in E[/math], we say that E is bounded above, and call [math]\beta[/math] an upper bound of E.

Just testing.
>>
>>8433376
1.8 Definition: Suppose S is an ordered set, [math]E \subset S[/math] and [math]E[/math] is bounded above. Suppose there exists an [math]\alpha \in S[/math] with the following properties:

(i) [math]\alpha[/math] is an upper bound of E.
(ii) If [math]\gamma < \alpha[/math] then [math]\gamma[/math] is not an upper bound of E.

Then [math]\alpha[/math] is called the least upper bound of [math]E[/math] or supremum.
We write: [math]\alpha = \sup E[/math]

The greatest lower bound, or infimum, of a set which is bounded below is defined in the same manner and written as:
[math]\alpha = \inf E[/math]
>>
1.10 Definition: An ordered set [math]S[/math] is said to have the least-upper-bound property if the following is true:
If [math]E \subset S[/math], [math]E[/math] is not empty, and [math]E[/math] is bounded above, then [math]\sup E[/math] exists in [math]S[/math]
>>
1.11 Theorem: Suppose [math]S[/math] is an ordered set with the least-upper-bound property, [math]B \subset S[/math], [math]B[/math] is not empty, and [math]B[/math] is bounded below. Let [math]L[/math] be the set of all lower bounds of [math]B[/math]. Then
[eqn]\alpha = \sup L[/eqn]

exists in [math]S[/math], and [math]\alpha = \inf B[/math].
In particular, [math]\inf B[/math] exists in [math]S[/math].

The proof is in the textbook.
>>
Why isn't this thread being bumped when I post something?
>>
>>8433412
I'm a slow learner. I need time. Keep up the good work though.
>>
>>8433365
what is the point of this thread? to practice latex? do that on you own time and don't clutter up the board with these simple definitions and theorems from a textbook that is freely available by google
>>
>>8433406
So now we're moving on to fields. >>8433415
Continue here after you have a general understanding of the previous definitions and perhaps look at the proof of 1.11.

Fields:
1.12 Definition: A field is a set [math]F[/math] with two operations, called addition and multiplication, which satisfy the following so-called "field axioms" (A), (M) and (D):

(A) Axioms for addition
(A1) If [math]x \in F[/math], then their sum [math][/math]x+y[math][/math] is in [math]F[/math].
(A2)Addition is commutative: [math]x+y=y+x[/math] for all [math]x,y \in F[/math].
(A3)Addition is associative: [math](x+y)+z=x+(y+z)[/math] for all [math]x,y,z \in F[/math].
(A4)[math]F[/math] contains an element [math]0[/math] such that [math]0 + x = x[/math] for every [math]x \in F[/math].
(A5)To every [math]x \in F[/math] corresponds an element [math]-x \in F[/math] such that [math]x + (-x) = 0[/math].

(M) Axioms for multiplication
(M1) If [math]x \in F[/math] and [math]y \in F[/math], then their product [math]xy[/math] is in [math]F[/math].
(M2) Multiplication is commutative: [math]xy = yx[/math] for all [math]x,y \in F[/math].
(M3)Multiplication is associative: [math](xy)z = x(yz)[/math] for all [math]x,y,z \in F[/math].
(M4)[math]F[/math] contains an element [math]1 \neq 0[/math] such that [math]1x = x[/math] for every [math]x \in F[/math].
(M5)If [math]x \in F[/math] and [math]x \neq 0[/math] then there exists an element [math]1/x \in F[/math] such that [math]x \cdot (1/x) = 1 [/math].

(D) The distributive law
[eqn]x(y+x) = xy + xz[/eqn]
holds for all [math]x,y,z \in F[/math].
>>
>>8433452
"Why do Asians look like aliens?"
"Redpilled Professors (general)"
"How to not get emotional when learning?"
"Why are brainlets allowed to study in universities? They are nothing but trouble. "

These are all from page 1, the rest is pop-sci. If this thread is clutter I say we need more of it. But okay.
>>
>>8433465
>there is already clutter so it is okay for me to add to it
in any case, those threads give way to discussions. you're just copy--pasting from a textbook, and i'm not sure why.
>>
does rudin ever go into the Archimedean property of a field and so on?
>>
>>8433507
he mentions the archimedian property, yes
>>
>>8433457
What book is this?
Not sure what this course is, but we had this shit in our pre-calc course where the lecturer was giving out his own material (lots of errata).

Either way, I want to note the similarity between A5 and one of the algebraic axiom.

(just looking at the reals)
For every [math]x \neq 0[/math] exists the inverse [math]-x[/math] and [math]x^{-1}[/math] such that
[math]x+(-x)=0[/math]
[math]x \cdot x^{-1} = 1[/math]
>>
>>8433365
Here's a question to you.

It is known that the set lR is a complete ordered field. Is there a field that is ordered, but not complete? If so, give an example. Is there a field that is complete, but not ordered? If so, give an example and explain why the field is complete.
>>
>>8433390
Problems:
1. Prove that if X is a set, then [math](\mathcal P(X), \subseteq)[/math] is an ordered set. Prove that every nonempty subset has an infimum and a supremum (it is said to be a complete lattice).

2. Prove that [math](\mathbb N, |)[/math] is an ordered set (where [math]a | b \leftrightarrow \exists k \in \mathbb N, b = ka[/math]). Prove that it is a complete lattice.

3. Prove that [math]E = \{x \in \mathbb Q, x^2 < 2\}[/math] is a nonempty bounded above subset of [math]\mathbb Q[/math] that does not have a least upper-bound. Comment.

4. An ordered set is said to be well-ordered if every non-empty set has a least element. Prove that the statement that [math](\mathbb N, \le)[/math] is well-ordered is equivalent to the induction principle. Is [math](\mathbb N, |)[/math] well-ordered ?

5.a) Let [math](L, \le)[/math] be a complete lattice and [math]f: L \to L[/math] be an order-preserving function. Prove that f has a fixed point (Hint: Consider the set [math]\{x \in L, x \le f(x)\}[/math]).
b) (Schroeder-Bernstein) Let X and Y be two sets and [math]f: X \to Y[/math] and [math]g: Y \to X[/math] two injections.
Prove that [math]\Phi: S \mapsto X \setminus g(Y \setminus f(S))[/math] is an order-preserving map from [math]\mathcal P(X)[/math] to itself.
Let S be a fixed point of [math]\Phi[/math]. Prove that the map [math]h[/math] defined on X by [math]h(x) = f(x)[/math] if [math]x \in S[/math] and [math] f(x) = g^{-1}(x)[/math] otherwise is well-defined and is bijection from X to Y.
>>
>>8433804
The poset in 2. doesn't have infinite joins
>>
>>8433824
I should have said that I consider 0 to be in [math]\mathbb N[/math]
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.