[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cal 2

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 11

Anybody here took Cal 2?
Got a midterm on Thursday covering all the integration techniques, integration by parts, trig substitution etc., and until now I've barely opened the book.

Is it actually possible to learn this shit in the next 5 days or should I pretty much just give up? I did pretty well in Cal 1.

I'm hoping if you've taken Cal 2, you know how long it takes to master this shit.
>>
As in, is it even literally physically humanly psychologically practically possible?
>>
5 days is a lot of time if you devote all your time to it. You can do it.
>>
>>8432533
:DD
>>
>>8432525

Integration is easy after you do a lot of examples. Although 5 days can be tricky.
Theoretically you have more than enough time, but you will inevitably burn out after 3 consecutive days of learning 9 hours at a time.
Also Calc 1 is piss easy compared to Calc 2, so you better take it seriously.
>>
>>8432553
Best online resources?
I use Khan Academy but the problems there seem too simple
>>
>>8432566
Don't you have a book for the class? Just read the chapters and then do the odd-numbered problems at the end of each chapter, then look up the answers.

When you get to the last chapter covered by the exam, find some more exercises online to do.

If you don't have a book, download one.
>>
File: 1477249375911-2054092526.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
1477249375911-2054092526.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
The test pic related
>>
>>8432533
Try learning in two nights AHAHAHA. It is not fun. Don't whittle time away.
>>
>>8432525
>5 days
Ignore trig sub. Learn the rest very well. You will likely have one trig sub question, skip it and do the others instead

Trig sub is rarely used anyway. Integration by parts is used almost all the time in physics
>>
Calc 2 is literally
>Do practice problems to get an A+: The Class
>>
>>8432525
A person braindead enough to unironically post that picture should not attempt university in the first place. Stop wasting your parents' money and god do a trade. At least you will make SOME of your money back.
>>
>>8432729
Literally first Google result for 'cal 2 meme'
>>
>>8432878
Here's some more
>>
>tfw only have to do pre-cal for CS course
>>
>>8432880
>>
>>8432880
Then they are really bad because half of them don't care if you find the treasure
>>
File: 3576052.jpg (19KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
3576052.jpg
19KB, 400x400px
>>8432884
>>
>>8432883
>cs without linear algebra or vextor calc

What kind of garbage uni do you go to?
>>
>>8432888
shit
pre-cal doesn't mean what i thought it meant
what i meant was linear algebra, analytical geometry, vectors, sets
>>
>>8432893
What did you think it meant?
>>
File: IMG_0904.jpg (27KB, 255x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0904.jpg
27KB, 255x400px
I have a Calc 2 midterm Thursday, too, OP. Maybe we're secret classmates.
>>
>>8432901
I'd Pythagoras her theorem
>>
>>8432901
Which state are you from m8ey?
>>
>>8432914
Oregon, broseph.
>>
>>8432915
Too far, pal. Unless you commute to Texas?
>>
>>8432922
My commute's a bitch, but not that bad. Well, at least you'll know, when you're taking your exam, that some anon in Oregon is going through the same shit.

Good luck!
>>
Jesus Christ. You have 5 days. That is more than enough time to learn the material and become proficient in it unless you are a literal brainlet; in that case kys fgt
>>
>>8432525
Very doable.

I did it in two days with plenty of sleep, and I'm not smart. Just make sure you focus.
>>
>>8432599
stop fucking memeing, I loved using trig subs constantly in calc 2

It really does help
>>
File: smug beta tester.jpg (41KB, 400x337px) Image search: [Google]
smug beta tester.jpg
41KB, 400x337px
>there are people in this board who PAYS to learn Calc 2

gj feeding the capitalist system
>>
>>8432525
I learned all of that in 30 minutes, and aced my calc 2 exams.

One day is more than enough time.
>>
You can literally learn all of Calc 2 in 2 days. Don't be a brainlet.
>>
>>8433032
And not forget it the next day?
>>
>>8433019
You are tested on only one and it is the method that takes the most memorization. Thats why i say skip it. I guess if you are good at memorization then study it but i am not i am analytical
>>
>>8432575
You could learn all of this in 1 day, if you needed to.
>>
>>8432525
Anon, you're in critical condition and you need to burn integration into you for good.

Good resources are Paul's Online notes from Lamar university and Schaum's Outlines of Calculus. The first one being online, and the later an easily accessible book.

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcII/CalcII.aspx

Goodspeed.
>>
>>8433019
>likes using trig sub

the fuck?
>>
>>8433118
>Doesn't like how easy it is to manipulate [math]\cos^2 \theta + \sin^2 \theta = 1[/math] and bullshit a substitution inside
Premed detected
>>
>>8432525
Not with any reasonable proficiency. I'm in calc 2 right now as well and it takes me about 6-8 or so hours to complete all the homework for a single section. We had Integration techniques three weeks ago and while it was not too difficult conceptually the volume of work is significantly greater than anything I've done before. I managed an A, but I put significant time and effort into it. If your exam on integration techniques is anything like mine was you need to put about +12 hours of work in everyday from now until the test time, but it's absolutely doable if you're disciplined.
>>
>>8433168
Is it possible you're just retarded?
>>
>>8433180
It's possible. but the class average was 62% so I'm the king of the brainlets in my class.
>>
>>8433151
Laplace transforms make that almost entirely irrelevant . But while i hate trog transforms cause i eternally have to look them up in a table i have to do the same with laplace. They are just better
>>
>>8433193
>class average above 50
I'm jelly. Prof says he will fail 2/3 of the class regardless of ability
>>
>>8432599
i ran into a lot of trig subs in my intro EM class, my mechanics class, my optics class, and others..

plus it's stupidly easy so no point in not figuring it out
>>
>>8432575
Practiced u-substitution and integration by parts today.

4 days[filled with classes] to go
>>
>>8432525
>I've barely opened the book
failure to plan is a plan for failure
>>
>>8433234
He is talking about calc test. No tables like you get for eng and physics tests. What >>8433239 is doing is very good cause if he is late to the game that is the priority
>>
Hyperbolic trig subs are neato
>>
>>8433042
you don't memorize trig subs brainlet

You derive them
>>
>>8432525
look up professor leanard on youtube
>>
>>8433258
I don't get what you're saying. Physics and math majors take the same lower div calc sequence.

We don't get integral tables on my physics tests, but we of course can use them on the homework if we desire, except it doesn't actually save time, because trig (or u) subs are so quick that we don't use tables...
int tables for me only get use when it's something that requires multiple int by parts in a row, which of course we know how to do, but there is nothing to be gained by writing out 4 IBP's in a row...
>>
You deserve to fail, honestly. Calculus 2 material is incredibly easy and the only thing required to pass the class with an A is time management skills. That is why it gets used as a weeder - they're seeing who is willing to study and who isn't.

Brainlets will complain material is difficult and tell people they're in "higher math" courses
>>
File: 1459656146864.jpg (19KB, 405x405px) Image search: [Google]
1459656146864.jpg
19KB, 405x405px
>>8433023
sounds like you need to PAYS to learn English.
>>
You people that score 90+ on Calc 2 exams,what's your secret? And please only responses from true 90%+ scorers
>>
File: 1460141821540.jpg (550KB, 646x1002px) Image search: [Google]
1460141821540.jpg
550KB, 646x1002px
>>8432525
calc 2 was easier for me than calc 1 was. so suck a dick bitch.
>>
>>8434311
I took calc 2 4 years ago. I guess I'm a bit smarter than average cause I don't remember studying much. It was always wait till the last minute to do assignments which I had to just cram for right before. Same with tests. Just cram hard not long before. Do lots of exercises. When it came to the exam, I just remember also cramming a couple days before.
This advice won't be helpful for you though. To help you we have to understand what is giving you trouble, specifically.
>>
>>8434339
Ok so like, I have a test in 17 days over stuff like volumes of revolution, arc length, surface area, parametric equations, etc. Its all completely unrelated to series and sequences which we just finished. Is all that stuff harder or easier than series and sequences? I don't really go to lectures as their a waste of time, got a 81% on my series test but I see some people getting 95+ in my class
>>
>>8434363
Lectures are not a waste of time if you use them properly.
You're supposed to study the material on your own first, get stuck, then go hear someone explain it to you. That's what lectures are for.
Volumes and stuff is easier than sequences and series. If you want a 95%, study better: memorize theorems and be able to reproduce their proofs, double the amount of practice you get, be able to state certain algorithms in your sleep, etc.
>>
>>8434368

Well the reason I say lectures are a waste are because we have lectures and recitations. Lectures where the professor just does a buncha examples from the text and recitations where we actually ask the Teacher assistant questions. I attend recitations and not lectures BC if I wanted to see someone just do examples from a text book I could just watch khan academy or MIT open courseware
>>
>>8434373
If you say so. Your prof may also introduce stuff in lecture not in the book that he will test you on.
>>
I have a Calc 3 exam in about 5 hours. I'm probably boned
>>
>>8434311
Just work through some example problems, and don't just go through them mechanically, try to understand the big picture. Sure, going through a mechanical process can get you an A with enough practice, but if a problem comes up that doesn't quite fit your process, then it all falls apart.

I would work through problems that I had trouble with, and the entire time I was working through said problems, I would relate each step back to what I was trying to do. That way, you can build up more of an understanding or, dare I say it, intuition for what is going on, giving you not only the ability to handle almost any problem of that type that comes your way, but allowing you to apply that methodology to seemingly unrelated problems.

t. only 100% Calc II final in the school in the past six years
>>
>>8433359
I passed Calc 2 with garbage time management skills.

Calc 3 on the other hand...
>>
>>8434698
> only 100% Calc II final in the school in the past six years

>made the same mistakes the professor did when he wrote the exam.
>>
>>8432525
calc 2? I did all that and more in calc 1, are you american? and also just watch patrickjmt and try getting old tests
>>
File: im mad.jpg (28KB, 400x519px) Image search: [Google]
im mad.jpg
28KB, 400x519px
>>8434019

it do not matter if i english is aweful if the message is conveyed
>>
How did you not learn it in class?

For shame, anon. For shame.
>>
>>8434710
...is easy as well?
>>
>>8434311
Practice, like everybody else said.

More than that, actually understand what you're trying to achieve via each concept you learn. Calculus 2 can be an easy A if you just do your work and practice whenever something doesn't make sense
>>
>>8432525
I failed Calc II the first time I took it because I didn't study at all. I got an A the second time because I actually studied.

Do a lot practice problems and watch PatrickJMT. I have found him to be very useful.

Remember LIATE and when in doubt, always integrate by parts.
>>
3 days to go.

Literally studied 0 today yet, 2 other classes + homework + physics test. 2 classes tomorrow. :(
>>
Theoretically 15 hours of study time total.
>>
>>8432525
Just had my exam today and fucked a substitution question when I got in my car I realised how to do it let
>>
>>8434311
I studied and practiced for an average of 6 hours a day.

t. got a 98 in Calc 2 a year ago
>>
Is calc 2 taken by 16-17 year olds?
>>
>>8436405
That's when I took it. It's not difficult if you pay attention.
>>
>>8432525
Shit is easy fag, I studied for all my tests the day before the exams and I got an A in the class.
>>
File: IMG_0778.png (17KB, 120x120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0778.png
17KB, 120x120px
>>8435077
If only you could trade some sort of currency in exchange for a skill.
>>
depends how much credit your course is.
Given that you study 12 hours every day,
5 days will equal 60 hours of study time.

A math course is usually 140 hours dedicated study time (including classes), but I guess you can just work on old exams and you will be able to pass. IMO just study the other exam and take this one next time.
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.