[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How can a neurosurgeon be so dumb? I don't get it.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 8

File: IMG_5904.jpg (54KB, 619x515px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5904.jpg
54KB, 619x515px
How can a neurosurgeon be so dumb? I don't get it.
>>
>>8432089
How is he dumb?
>>
>>8432089
How can a black person be so dumb? I don't get it.
>>
>>8432091
h-he's a devoted christian
>>
>>8432089
He tried to practice on his own brain
>>
>>8432089

Intelligence in one thing doesn't mean you are intelligent in everything. You can be really good with math but fucking terrible at writing. Very few people are rounded in their intelligence.
>>
>>8432089
I would argue he is almost too smart to be a serious presidential candidate. Anyone remember him in the republican debates? He was down-right boring. I remember him using stretches of several minutes to work through mental math to make arguments about his economic plans. He was a flop.

Clearly a bright guy and he definitely has a set of brass balls on him for his work at Hopkins back in the 90s (successfully implemented the hemispherectomy as a treatment for pediatric epilepsy). But this doesn't bolster his fitness to lead whatsoever. I wouldn't hire the world's greatest neurosurgeon to cook me a five-star meal, rotate my tires, etc. Being a president requires a unique set of traits that he doesn't have.
>>
>>8432089
Black people are intellectually superior to white people.
>>
>>8432116
ain't it the truth ruth
>>
Just because hes loaded on valium 24/7 and speaks slowly doesn't mean he is dumb

If you've ever actually listened to what he says theres no doubting that he is intelligent
>>
>>8432143
Pyramids, etc
>>
>>8432089
you're just jealous of how woke he is
>>
>>8432156
Damn, looked up "Ben Carson pyramids," and in context what he said really isn't horrible. I don't care much for his religious beliefs, but I admire his willingness to challenge science. In a lot of ways, the non-scientifically educated people that shout about "evolution" and "the big bang" are taking a similar, blind leap of faith.
>>
>>8432089
Medicine, including surgery, is a trade so it's not really that impressive.
And he's dumb because doing medicine doesn't really take intelligence - it requires being able to memorize, parrot, and learn on the job.
>>
>>8432175
>Discounts years of research based on his own dumbfuck guesses.

No, what he said was fucking retarded. I've visited Egypt and studied ancient Egyption sites and I can confidently say, the man is a complete dumbfuck for things outside of Neurosurgery.
>>
>>8432182
I mean yeah he made some baseless claims, but his ultimate point was that we can't go back and know for certain and science has a way of claiming to do so. I agree with literally none of what he said, but that's a valid point in context.
>>
>>8432107
t. Hillary voter
>>
>>8432182
It's really interesting how otherwise genius people can say or believe such stupid things.
>>
>>8432192
>yfw I'm voting for Trump
>>
>>8432212
Carson is better than trump

>muh charisma

if they picked up carson they would get the black vote and conservative vote. him debating sanders/clinton would win america

but you had to go with the unelectable asshole. prepare for hillary friendo
>>
>>8432217
Hey now, I never said I voted for Trump in the primaries. I'm just voting for him now because of Clinton. But I also do actually agree with a lot of Trump's precepts, but I'll keep it off of /sci/.
>>
>>8432220
apologies

either way its trump or bust. i live in red state so i dont even need to vote
>>
>>8432224
You should though, it still matters.
>>
>>8432191
It isn't at all a valid point. I mean, it is a trivially true sentiment, but it has little bearing on any kind of scientific discussion since all of science is inductive and impossible to prove absolutely anyway, regardless of the time period in question. Saying "you can't prove it absolutely so I don't have to pay attention" is a dumb as fuck argument and blatantly ignores any kind of evidence based thinking and shows a clear lack of critical thought.
>>
>>8432224
>red state
It's the meme elections. Anything can happen.
>>
File: 1454565208215.png (91KB, 500x422px) Image search: [Google]
1454565208215.png
91KB, 500x422px
>>8432224
PA MUST GO RED
>>
>>8432277
tfw I live in PA.

double-dubs of truth confirms
>>
>>8432089
I know a nuclear physicist that's a 6-literal-day creationist and one of the world's top aerospace engineers who denies evolution.

Don't underestimate the ability of human stubbornness in the face of facts
>>
>>8432283
>muh evolution facts
>>
File: jill-stein-1.jpg (1MB, 1254x916px) Image search: [Google]
jill-stein-1.jpg
1MB, 1254x916px
>>8432089
>2 retarded doctors ran for president
>1 actually got nominated by her party
2016 needs to fucking end already
>>
>>8432283
IMO, I find highly educated (often in science) people who are religious to be fascinating. What I've noticed is typically that these people were brought up with faith and consider it a question science "can't answer," which is arguably true considering we can't go back in time to check for ourselves.
>>
File: 546547896.jpg (26KB, 270x394px) Image search: [Google]
546547896.jpg
26KB, 270x394px
>>8432288
I know right. Thats why Im solipsist and believe I am god creating the plot of life as I want it unconsciously so I dont spoil myself. Thats why when I change my mind stuff happens.
>>
>>8432304
There are psychology theories that would say that more intelligent people can rationalize better and without problem so they cant be confronted with different approach because they are highly creative and fast thinking plus knowleadgeable. Cant remember the study though.
>>
>>8432308
I've actually read it as well. What I recall from it is similar to what you said. High IQ is a measure of ability to logically rationalize; therefore, people with higher IQ's are more likely to rationalize ideas that seem fringe or not routed with evidence.
>>
>>8432304
But by the same reasoning (or, at the very least, very similar reasoning), nuclear physics is equally suspect. "You can't prove it because you weren't there" (and therefore your idea is invalid) is a blatant rejection of evidence based argument and an inherently unscientific standpoint.
>>
>>8432310
Yes and IQ tests also have creative tests in it so they can come up with new evidence fast and even unconventional ideas. We had a lecture on this in psychology from a professor but it was long ago. I am more experienced with children but the most common used IQ tests like WAIS have a lot of tasks that measure creativity.
>>
Pretty good thread ngl
>>
>>8432224
don't be lazy faggot, you never know, this isn't a typical election
>>
>>8432351
>faggot
now im definitely not going to vote
>>
>>8432091
He wrote a paper on and still believes that the pyramids of Egypt were used for grain storage.
>>
>>8432354
first year on 4chan?
>>
>>8432179
Lol

"As a pioneer in neurosurgery, Carson's achievements include performing the first and only successful separation of Siamese twins joined at the back of the head, pioneering the first successful neurosurgical procedure on a fetus inside the womb, performing the first completely successful separation of type-2 vertical craniopagus twins, developing new methods to treat brain-stem tumors and reviving hemispherectomy techniques for controlling seizures.[3][4][5][6][7] Carson became the youngest chief of pediatric neurosurgery in the country at age 33.[8] He has received more than 60 honorary doctorate degrees, dozens of national merit citations, and written over 100 neurosurgical publications.[9]"
>>
>>8432217
Having trench-foot is better than voting for Trump.
>>
>>8432379
I also want to to go to war with Russia, fellow Hillary voter.
>>
>>8432089
I don't get it either. He's a doctor, and he advocates making armor-piercing bullets available to the general public.
>>
>>8432089
He has intense specialization in one specific item. That knowledge doesn't carry over to everything else, although being able to specialize that well means you are an effective learner and pick up other topics if you study them intensely.
>>
>>8432179
t. Unemployed math major
>>
>>8432377
The first carpenter to build a gazebo must've felt pretty special too.
>>
>>8432414
>>8432377
This man is in the top 3% of intelligent people on earth.
>>
File: 1475917165853.png (216KB, 804x732px) Image search: [Google]
1475917165853.png
216KB, 804x732px
>>8432089

Because medicine is not science.
>>
>>8432398
I also want to ally with Russia's falling economy and democracy instead of actual first world.
>>
>>8432377
What's your point? Devising new ways of applying procedures you've memorized and do regularly isn't exactly the pinnacle of creative thought.
>>
>>8432089

>Genetically part white, part black.
>Intellectually part smart, part dumb.

Guess how the parts match up.
>>
>>8432377
I am not going to say the man isn't smart. I will say he is delusional as fuck and has massive problems with applying critical thought outside of his specialty.
>>
File: july98cw2.gif (18KB, 400x179px) Image search: [Google]
july98cw2.gif
18KB, 400x179px
>>8432283
Better than atheist Dawkins pushing his twisted monkey religion on a real scientist. All Dawkins and the rest of his hoarde has done is fuel mass shootings.
https://answersingenesis.org/blogs/ken-ham/2015/11/02/richard-dawkins-chides-real-scientist/
>>
>>8432377
My dad worked with him at Hopkins while he was gearing up to attempt the hemispherectomy for the first time. My dad hasn't kept up with him since they both left Hopkins, but apparently he was a very-well liked, quiet and confident guy. Of course, this doesn't speak at all to his ability to be the president or his ability to not have some shit ideas about religion.
>>
>>8432433
Still very specific field and by which criteria do you make up the statistics of top 3%?
>>
>>8432089
I don't see why people think he's a dumb person. He's a bad talker, maybe, but that doesn't say shit about his intelligence imo.

>>8432102
But to be neurosurgeon, you need to be an extremely well-rounded intelligent person: math, science, memorization
Hell, you can't even be clumsy.

A dumb neurosurgeon, is like a dumb astronaut. It's impossible. They are the top of the top of top. They went through so many filters, it's literally impossible for them to be stupid. (Okay, astronaut is a bit exaggerated, but still)
>>
>>8432102
This. My wife is savant smart when it comes to math.
No common sense whatsoever though!
>>
>>8432356
He's a neurosurgeon, not a historian. Two different fields.
>>
>>8432955
That's not a valid defense for obvious deficiency in basic reasoning skills
>>
>>8432950
>women
>math
Nice one m80
>>
>>8432277
We're going blue, and there's no stopping it.

And I'm going to help it happen :^)
>>
>>8432363
First week
>>
>>8432089
he's not dumb, he's delusional

being delusional can affect smart and dumb people just the same

delusion is a reflection of emotional maturity, not intellectual prowess
>>
>>8432089
>Based sleepy doctor producing all these liberal tears
You are the dumb one OP
>>
>>8432444
/thread
>>
>>8432089
>"He went to Haaarvard."
>"I went to Haaarvard."
>>
>>8432089
Because. Being skilled in a certain field doesn't require you to be intelligent outside of that field.

/thread.
>>
>>8432220
You're demonstrably a more sensible person than Terry Tao
>>
Ben Carson is an obvious affirmative action case.
>>
File: 1466577912671.gif (2MB, 330x166px) Image search: [Google]
1466577912671.gif
2MB, 330x166px
>>8432476
>https://answersingenesis.org/blogs/ken-ham/2015/11/02/richard-dawkins-chides-real-scientist/

What an absolute disgrace this post is.
>>
>>8432096
how can a black person be a neurosurgeon? I don't get it.
>>
>>8434496
Because when the admissions board looked at his application, they saw the whitest name imaginable and said "HE'S IN"
>>
>>8433355
You sound like a drooling moron.
What are you even doing on /sci/?
>>
>>8432965
Where's your proof that he's wrong? Or do you just regurgitate ur dads cock
>>
>>8432356
probably played too much civilization iii
>>
>>8432089
You don't have to be smart to be in medicine.
>>
>>8433304
>/thread.
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.