[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Scipy or Numpy (first)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: pytn.png (43KB, 468x485px) Image search: [Google]
pytn.png
43KB, 468x485px
Heyo sci!

how awesome is python?! seriously! I've learned some matlab, but python can do the same better and much more beyond.

that being said, when doing math with python and creating math plots, which library would you recommend to learn first or have learnt first?
numpy or scipy (don't say matplotlib)?

(also what's with the sin(pi) not being equal to zero?! pic related)
>>
>>8431984
I fucking love Python. Clear syntax and powerful!

public static void main String(args[])
System.out.println("Java is gay")

or...

print("Python FTW")

If it weren't for enterprise bullshit and Android, that horrific language could just die in peace
>>
>>8431984
>(also what's with the sin(pi) not being equal to zero?! pic related)

floating point, nigga. like 0.1 + 0.2 = .30000000000000001
>>
>>8431984
scipy or numpy? Neither, MATLAB!
>>
>>8431989
what! D: why?
>>
>>8431984
I like Matlab infinitely better
>>
>>8431984
>Python
>Literally "baby's first programming language"

It's ok for bodging something together real quick. I use it all the time for that. However, you quickly get to a point of diminishing returns when you try to do anything halfway serious with it.

Don't get me started on the differences between Python 2 and 3.
>>
>>8431984
First off, stop typing like a 12 year old. Second, numpy and scipy have their uses (check documentation) but you dont just "learn" them, you use their respective functions as you need them. Third, look into matplotlib if you want to graph.
>>
>>8431984
NumPy first. SciPy is built on top of NumPy, so you can use NumPy without knowing anything about SciPy, but the reverse isn't true.

> also what's with the sin(pi) not being equal to zero?
Floating-point. Pi is irrational, so it can't be represented exactly as a floating-point number. np.pi is actually 884279719003555/(2^48).
>>
>>8431984
With Jupitar you can easily use and import numpi or matlab
>>
>>8431987
lol. Try multithreading in python!
>>
>>8432343
import threads
>>
>>8432316
>First off, stop typing like a 12 year old.
Came here to say this...
>Second, numpy and scipy have their uses (check documentation) but you dont just "learn" them, you use their respective functions as you need them.
...and this...
>Third, look into matplotlib if you want to graph.
...and this.
>>
>>8432343
Who gives a fuck about threads when you have multi-processing?
>>
>>8431984
I really, really hate the way Python treats scope and information hiding in object definitions. I also find it's object handling syntax unintuitive.

It might be my fondness for strongly-typed languages but I seriously can't deal with it.

I know this doesn't relate to MATLAB, but it;s my gripe.

if I'm doing automation tasks with calculations I'll default to Matlab anyway cause it avoids all the pants-on-head retarded gotchas that pop up with python.

If I'm writing anything serious I'll default to C-family languages because I know them well.
>>
>>8433948
pretty sure it's
import threading
Haven't checked in a while.

Or you could just use cython or its alternatives

I'm still trying to figure out why everyone keeps saying performance matters.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.