[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Careers with a Math/Stats degree

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 7

File: Pencil.jpg (610KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Pencil.jpg
610KB, 1280x1280px
What jobs can I get with a Math/Stats degree? I have
>0 connections
>0 internships
>0 real world experience
but a 3.8 GPA
>>
>>8431034
Anything with 300k starting.
>>
File: tumblr_ny163h9X871ul9uvdo2_1280.jpg (382KB, 1278x1920px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ny163h9X871ul9uvdo2_1280.jpg
382KB, 1278x1920px
>>8431034
With that line up of experience, fucking nothing that has to do with your degree.
>>
>>8431058
who this?
>>
>>8431034
Insurance actuary.
>>
why do people go to school and not make connections?
>>
>>8431074
because I browse 4chan, plus how would Connections even help me get a job? Nobody else I would be friends with would have a job.
>>
File: tumblr_ny163h9X871ul9uvdo3_1280.jpg (447KB, 1277x1920px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ny163h9X871ul9uvdo3_1280.jpg
447KB, 1277x1920px
>>8431065
No clue, why not learn to use 4chan's built in reverse image search?

>>8431087
Everything you were told about how to get a job while you were in school is wrong. You need to make connections and be seen to get a job. You need to drop your jobless friends and get friends who have jobs in the fields you want a job in. That is how it works.
>>
>>8431117
>tumblr
>just bee yourself bro! Get some connections
Get the fuck off my board normie
>>
File: IMG_20161022_230620.jpg (118KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161022_230620.jpg
118KB, 800x800px
>>8431034
>>
>>8431117

I'm not that guy but that is very obviously not how it should work. The social aspect of human life shoudl be sucked out of the job business, by law. The work force should be a pure mertocracy which slighlty benefits a worthy welfare state. Further, people should be punished for attempting to get too far ahead. The obvious unpleasant consequences of this (deprivation of industry of innovation, rational risk, creativity) are certainly preferable to the alternative.

>>8431034

You should feel ashamed of posting this ugly woman. Please don't do it again.
>>
>>8431034
have a math degree and three years experience as an RA (math modelling for real world shit), experienced as a TA, and can't find a related job. Good luck bro.
>>
>>8431247
fuck dude, you have way more experience than me and are still fucked? What are we supposed to do?
>>
>>8431255
dunno. im gonna start applying for crappy, barely above minimum wage jobs and hope i can get in. been thinking of committing suicide lately. took out $30,000 in student loans on this degree, wasted 6 years of my life, credit card debt, etc etc. i'm basically fucked in life.
>>
>>8431257
don't do it dude fuck I'm sure there are other options, what degree did you get from a state school? Private school? where?
>>
File: image.gif (292KB, 200x113px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
292KB, 200x113px
>>8431255
>>8431257
High school math teachers but they don't know it yet

Kek
Should've done engineering, cucklords. Math degrees are literally just harder education degrees unless you get a PHD
>>
>>8431264
even my Mech Eng friend is having a hard tiem getting a job.
>>
>>8431264
Lol

Didn't make the cut for a math degree I see?
>>
>>8431058
thick
>>
>>8431257
>>8431264
>>8431272
Wtf I got a degree in architecture and even I have a job.

So is STEM just a meme?
>>
>>8431298
how did you get it tho bro?
>>
>>8431247
RA?
>>
>>8431034
Nothing
Become NEET
>>
>>8431306
Internships and interviews?
>>
File: Stat.png (578KB, 1000x562px) Image search: [Google]
Stat.png
578KB, 1000x562px
NEET here but want to do Stats

Got an IQ of 113, i can be a solid hardworker and i can learn shit quickly
C-Could i become a Statistician?

Thanks in advance for whoever responded this post
>>
>>8431232
>those worldviews
are you me?
>>
>>8431518
Why would anyone want to become a Statistician? It's literally the most boring job and boring degree in the world.
>>
>>8431264
I've heard once something along the lines: "Engineering is a science of taking away people jobs".
Most of the jobs that disappeared in the past and present, are due to advancements which lead to a rise of efficiency, thus making them obsolete.
Unrestricted development leads to a concentration of the capital, as only the party with the capital takes benefits from technological advancement while the workforce takes loses.
In this way, development which is superficially good, might make more wrong than right.
IMO it could be solved with taxes. It's worth it, even if it hinders growth.
>>
>>8431518
>IQ of 113
>less than one STDEV above norm
fgt pls
>>
>>8431232
>You should feel ashamed of being such a faggot
>Please revise your choices.
>>
Any CS jobs.
>>
>>8431518
Mean IQ score of persons in various occupations, taken from a variety of Western studies
Professors and researchers.......131, 134
Physicians and surgeons............128
Lawyers........................................128
Accountants..................................119, 128
Engineers (civil and mechanical)125
School teachers............................121, 123
General managers in business...122
Education administrators............122
Stenographers..............................119, 121
Pharmacists..................................120
Nurses...........................................119
Senior clerks................................118
Managers, production.................118
Clerks (general)...........................118
Managers, miscellaneous...........116
Cashiers.......................................116
Foremen, industrial......................114
Salesmen.....................................114
Clerks...........................................112
Electricians..................................109
Policemen....................................108
>>
File: Poor-Grads-Rich-Dropouts.jpg (53KB, 600x424px) Image search: [Google]
Poor-Grads-Rich-Dropouts.jpg
53KB, 600x424px
Hey OP, look what I found yesterday:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2014/10/18/poor-kids-who-do-everything-right-dont-do-better-than-rich-kids-who-do-everything-wrong/
>>
>>8431650
Rich kids just have their risks paid, that's the whole story, bro.
>>
>>8431658
I know. If you have a large cushion, you can fall until you finally succeed. If you don't, the first fall is the end for you.
>>
>>8431664
>only rich people can afford to be depressed
>>
>>8431156
>tumblr

You mean google. All you have to do is learn to reverse image search.

>>8431156
>>8431232
Meritocracy is a pipe dream, kids. Everything is based on friends and family. If you don't realize this, you are deluded and will have shitty jobs all your life.
>>
>>8431664
>I know. If you have a large cushion, you can fall until you finally succeed. If you don't, the first fall is the end for you.

Or if they are rich in 'Social Capital"
>>
>>8431257
Just do it bro
>>
>>8431034

You should be ashamed to lure people in your thread with a picture of a gorgeous woman.
>>
>4 years in the military
>another 3 years in industry
>exactly 2.9 GPA in mechanical engineering
>have more job offers than i care to consider
>hear all these kids whine about "no jobs" even though they have good GPA's

lol. experience is everything kiddo's. your little university points mean fuck all.
>>
>>8432462
how did you get yoru frist experience though?
>>
>>8432470
yorupoor
>>
>>8432478
?
>>
>>8432470
my first job was pulling nails out of 2x4's so a contractor could reuse them for concrete forms. i literally just walked around to jobsites asking if they had anything for me to do.

i quit when i realized my boss didn't want to take the time to teach me anything. went to the navy recruiter and signed on with the civil engineer corp as an equipment mechanic.

got out and did facility management/maintenance for 3 years. finally realized i could do the exact same job for twice the pay if i just had an engineering degree.

the degree is literally just a check in the box for me.
>>
>>8431117
This really means suck dick. Suck a lot of dick. If you're in a coffee shop and you hear someone talk about the rangers game, then on the street, you see a guy with a burger tattoo and a rangers shit, you stop, drop and suck that guy's dick. Replace 'ranger's game' with anything tangentially related to your field. Rangers are for reference. That's the only way to get ahead in the world. We're all just a bunch of fake personalities with our pearl necklaces just hoping for bukkake to call our own. True to form, yo.
>>
>>8431386
Registered Agitator
>>
>>8432504
>be me
>have crippling anxiety
>physical health problems
You fags don't know you easy you have it.
>>
>>8431954

>Everything is based on friends and family.

You'll notice that I did not deny that that is presently the case. Of course that's the case. That's exactly the problem.

My point is that the way that the world works is not the way that it /should/ work. Everyone should be a sperg in their own little box for large portions of their interior lives.
>>
>>8431644
Oh goodie, I'm right where I belong!
>>
>>8431034
You are perfectly good. I have only a degree in mathematics and I have a job that is legally titled "programmer" but it involves mostly data mining and creating algorithms to crunch the data (mostly numbers).

This is my first job so obviously I had 0 internships and almost 0 world experience. I say almost 0 because I had a couple of phone apps under my name in the play store that I made while jerking off in my room, nothing too big though.
>>
>>8432741
damn dude nice, how did you get the job?
>>
>>8432745
It was pretty simple. I live in south america and here programming is not a meme like in the US or Europe yet. After getting the job the boss casually told me about how hard it is to get new programmers who actually know their shit. That many know how to code but very few know how to make their code work.

Anyways, I wrote an email to the company with my resume that at the moment only had my degree and a list of languages and programs I know how to use. The standard stuff: C++ with codeblocks. Java in Eclipse and Android Studio. I also MySQL experience listed and that is the most important skill I think.

I got an interview from that and I think it was pretty hard. I was questioned heavily about what I know. Even random stuff like what compilers I used for C++ was asked. After that I was assigned to sit beside one of the programmers to see what they did and then a week later I started actually working there.
>>
le data science
>>
>>8432774
damn nice info, thanks dude, gotta get into some CompSci myself then
>>
>>8431034
>>8431058
>>8431117
Who is this semen demon?
>>
>>8432790
No problem, learn as much as you can. If you have time I would recommend you to study like you were stlll in university for at least 3 months and focus in databases (this means learn SQL) and desktop programmin.

If you are unsure with what to start then I would recommend to find jobs in computer statistics, see what languages they ask for and learn specifically those. I would give you recommendations but here things are less standard. For example, I here that R is a big stats language but I've never seen anyone here use R outside of an university setting. It looks like those big specific tools have not been adopted here. I graph my data using visual studio components and "manually" query and order my data but I suppose things like R have things that make this process much easier, but it is only worth learning such an specific tool if jobs require you to know it.
>>
>>8432774
>I also MySQL experience listed and that is the most important skill I think.
I agree. The first job I got they didn't even care at all about anything else I knew (until later), they just put me in the front of a computer and told me to write sql queries for evaluating the sales dept.
And sql is easy as fuck. Even a high schooler could do what I did.
>>
>>8432894
Not only is it easy and important, it is also a really fundamental skill.

It doesn't matter if you are programming for mac, windows, android or iOS, odds are your program will have feed itself from a database and also update said database and SQL won the database game a long time ago.

If you do not know how connect and query a SQL database from the programming language you are using, you might aswell do not know the language at all, as far as a company is concerned.
>>
>>8432913
>SQL man raison to use compooter
>>
>>8432996
It is, really. How many programs do you use in your daily life that don't need to connect to a database over the internet?

I will do the same. I have in my phone a graphing application, an app to play Go and an app that tracks my sleep cycle.

On my computer codeblocks.

That is all, 4 programs. Everything needs the internet and an outside database. Programs like Visual Studio are constantly checking for updates and other random things and this implies the internet is being used to query for this information, and this probably implies some central database that delivers those messages to the application.

Really popular programs like Uber and Tinder obviously need to connect to a central database. If you use manga reading applications like myself that obviously has a database with all the manga you read. The same goes for books apps. I also use Waze, that needs the internet and also a central database.

Steam, Battle.net, skype, etc. Whatsapp too. Everything needs a central database to run.

Judge it by yourself, how many programs do you use that need only the code that is installed in your machine? Odds are, no more than 5.
>>
>>8432996
>>8433013
I couldn't agree more. It's shun down for some reason, maybe because it's not as sexy as other CS related things, but this is so fucking essential they often teach you this before they teach you how to program. There are also a lot of well paid jobs with databases. But yet for some reason most of them are designed as if the people designing them didn't knew what they were doing.
Instead of listing tons of programming languages you know in your CV try listing one or two dbms you have experience with and you'll see where that gets you.
>>
>>8431644
>policemen
Kek. Seems to vary a lot since police officers are either dumb as fuck or really really smart. You don't really need intelligence to be brave.
>>
>>8433421
They don't trust anyone. Ever. That alone rises their IQ by 10 points.
>>
>>8433446
And they hate niggers so that's plus 50 IQ.
>>
>>8431658

It's also POSSIBLE that people with rich parents just have higher native intelligence which they inherited that made their parents rich in the first place and so can utilize it more effectively than poor people who went to college can, or possibly that college isn't as great as it's made out to be, or POSSIBLY your hypothesis, or possibly all three, but you have no fucking clue because this board doesn't actually present data. It just spouts dumb-dumb stuff that would be the first thing a 7th grader would think of when looking at the data.
>>
>>8432913
how did you learn SQL?
>>
>>8433976
Nope. Intelligence isn't coded by single genes. We don't know by how many, but it's plenty for sure. You can't produce high-IQ offspring just after a few generations of selection. That would take hundreds or thousands years of social engineering. And as a civilization we were never able to sustain projects that went for so long.
So basically, inborn intelligence is random.
>>
>>8433999
>That would take hundreds or thousands years of social engineering
>implying that doesn't happen
Look at the Ashkenazim ffs.
>>
>>8431034
control engineering and filters all day every day

>>8433970
there's virtually no niggers in my country, no wonder that they're retarded
>>
>>8431386
reptilian alligator
>>
>>8431034

>0 connections
>0 internships
>0 real world experience

https://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en-us/careers.html

How did you get this far without ever holding down a single job? Why did you think that was acceptable?
>>
>>8433993

>how did you learn SQL?

By having a job.
>>
>>8432852
Tianna g
>>
>>8431034
get an internship, it will most likely result in a job
>>
>>8432774
Honestly based off what you said the fact that you made a couple apps probably is what pushed you above the rest of the pack. Assuming that it actually is hard to get guys who actually know their shit down there the boss probably saw that you actually at least know how to do some basic shit.
>>
>>8433999
lol retard, it still follows the parents in aggregate. Parents with high iqs are more likely to have children with high iqs. Parents with low iqs are more likely to have kids with low iqs
>>
>>8434089

That's the next one I'm going to outlaw once I'm in charge: internships.
>>
>>8431034
Jobs are memes, just pursue further education.

Failing that, get on welfare and spend your time studying.
>>
>>8431386
Rude Anomaly
>>
>>8432462
>go to gifted school
>learn multiple languages in school (english, spanish, french, german)
>participate in a lot of tournaments (debate, mathematics, chemistry, physics)
>do volunteer religious work
>4.0 GPA + perfect ACT/SAT Score (equivalent of my country)
>1 year in (voluntary) military service
*now
>study electrical engineer + political science
>work self-employed with colleagues
>run for mayor or some public position
>become president

That's my plan for now, well, summarized.
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.