[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What parts of C S are not a meme?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: Computer Vision.jpg (1MB, 2100x1179px) Image search: [Google]
Computer Vision.jpg
1MB, 2100x1179px
This board likes to bash Computer Science. Yet there are some parts which are incredibly useful, such as computer vision or natural language processing.

By not a meme I mean:
1) Useful
2) Not self-evident
>>
>>8430496
machine learning
>>
Machine learning,data mining IMO. Stuff gets very complex very fast
>>
>>8430501
The great thing about machine learning is it keeps all the idiots out due to the math requirements.
>>
>>8430496
nobody (nobody who has a worthwhile opinion, at least) thinks that CS is a meme
CS programs, classes, and most of all students, are the meme
>>
Cyber Security
>>
>>8430592
That is a meme tier class. The subject is important, but college classes teach it as a hobby, instead of using a mathematical framework based upon cryptology.
>>
Noam Chomsky complained about NLP so that makes it Ok.
>>
>>8430763
cryptology is only one aspect of cyber security. and when teaching cryptology to CS students, it is fucking pointless to teach the underlying math unless all the students will become NSA codebreakers. In reality it is more important for cybersecurity to know how to properly implement cryptology

Also why the fuck do people like OP keep taking /sci/ shitposting opinions seriously?
>>
>>8430501
Machine learning, heuristic searches, image processing
>>
>>8430496
Anything that deals with math instead of pure programming.
>>
File: 1476554415278.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1476554415278.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>
>>8430763
>using a mathematical framework based upon cryptology
Oh boi... That's just one subject one semester long worth of theory.
>>
>>8430501
The only thing that I dislike about MLis that it fields like brute forcing.
>>
>>8430496
What a stupid question. There are no memes in CS. Name one.
>>
>>8430496
From my perspective CS is disingenuous by dressing itself up as a science. CS has nothing to do with research. It is pure development and can be categorized in two buckets:

- Engineering - Integrated circuit/board design
- Coding - basically writing in a computer language parallel to writing a novel.

You can argue about research into AI and other aspects. But this in no way resembles true science. If the CS industry would admit their attempt at elitism, I don't think they would get 90% of the criticism on this board.
>>
File: 1472840679896.png (304KB, 698x407px) Image search: [Google]
1472840679896.png
304KB, 698x407px
>>8433565
You do realize CS can be used for science based applications right? That's why I'm double majoring in CS and Physics
>>
>>8433565
Dumb teenager.
>>
>>8430496
AI neural networks are starting to do some amazing things.

I think a lot of people underestimate what a huge breakthrough deepmind beating the best go player was.
>>
>>8430577
I feel like this is the case for a lot of things, in and out of /sci/. Well said anon.
>>
It's 100% memes, don't believe the lies.
>>
>>8430763
>>8431237
Do you have any resources to learn the mathematics aspects of it?
>>
>>8434046
a discrete math course may cover it, mine did after we covered semigroups. the book we used was Grimaldi discrete and combinatorial mathematics, an applied introduction

there is/was a course on coursera run by a professor from brown on cryptography

i could send you the pdf of the slides if you want
>>
>>8433540
That's silly.
If that were true, gambling wouldn't even exist as a concept, because gambling would be pointless.
>>
>>8434073
>discrete math
>high level math
>fkin kekd
>>
>>8430496
most fields in CS have great potential, but whether they are considered to be a meme is not a question of their intrinsic potential but the attitude of the average person working on such things, which in CS happens to be a bunch of memers with a very shaky grasp on mathematics, or any sort of scientific discipline for that matter.
>>
>>8430496
- Compiler Design/Engineering
- OS after computer architecture
- Network design/Higher level stuff
- Algorithm Analysis
- All the discrete maths
- Linear Algebra
- Calc I through III and DEs.
- Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning/Intelligent Agents
- Cryptography (The mathematics class based on theory)
- Embedded Systems
>>
>>8430496
Computer science is a bit of a weird one... It came out of electrical engineering in the 60s, and slowly started to consume other fields; economics; statistics; social sciences, etc...
At an undergraduate level, it can be either a glorified code monkey course, or a watered-down mathematics degree. However, at graduate level, it can become useful. Sure, some of it can just be worthless, like human-computer interaction research, but there are other, more useful branches.
Pattern recognition/machine learning is obviously one of the most practical areas of research. To say it's a meme because it's self-evidently useful is meaningless. If you want something useful, but not self-evidently so, you'd be looking at the frontiers of research in any field. Right now, the frontiers in computer vision are things like reconstructing 3D images, and visual question answering. You can imagine the usefulness of this research is self-evident (which shows you jut how pointless your distinction between meme degrees and non-meme degrees), but as with any research, you don't know how this research can be used until it's actually used for something practical.
>>
>>8433540
Most ML problems would be intractable if you simply brute forced them. Hence why you need ML in the first place. If everything were brute forcible we would not need AI.
>>
>>8434182

I think he's saying that ML feels mostly like brute forcing,

and he's right, partially.

it's a fusion of brute force and gradient descent most of the time.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.