[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is immortality feasible? Or is it just a pipe dream

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 11

File: IMG_0203.jpg (126KB, 750x932px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0203.jpg
126KB, 750x932px
Is immortality feasible? Or is it just a pipe dream
>>
Immortality is impossible. Everything and everyone dies eventually, even if it takes billions and billions of years. Radical life extension, on the other hand, is very feasible.
>>
Radical life extension please explain more anon
>>
>>8428092
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Xdyj0GS0Vg

Getting rid of aging and other diseases.
>>
File: IMG_1546.jpg (75KB, 562x788px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1546.jpg
75KB, 562x788px
Ok alternate question when will radical life extension be a reality?
>>
>>8428182
>>8428100
>>
>>8428066
We do not know if immortality is possible because we have never actually seen it. This is a fact you cannot refute.

Is it possible for humans, possibly, but would it really be immortality and would we even be humans?
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (86KB, 572x600px) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
86KB, 572x600px
>>8428066
You will live forever. You cannot die. It's impossible.
Whether or not you are on the inside or the outside is up to you. Go to church.
>>
>>8428296
>We do not know if immortality is possible because we have never actually seen it.

Its a logical impossible to see it since it'll still be going on
>>
>>8428066
Assuming you mean immortality in the sense of "not dying of old age".

It's not impossible and therefore feasible. The problem is our evolutionary background always went with the reproductive strategy, so you would have to go through quite some amount of genetic engineering to get it done.

There are life forms on earth that are theoretically immortal in the definition given at the top, so it is not a natural limitation of our biology. More complex biological systems have more openings for natural failings though. Even if you get your DNA to reproduce indefinitely, you would still have to deal with cancer and incurable viruses, one of which you would inevitably catch at some point given enough time.
>>
>>8428066
>Is immortality feasible? Or is it just a pipe dream

That remains to be seen.
>>
Also the brain has a physical limititation to how much memory it can store. You will only ever have finite record of events that have happened in your life. If you somehow get external storage there is still a finite limit of matter to store information in available. So your body can be alive forever but your brain will only have finite memories, meaning you can't really live forever, depending how you look at it.
>>
File: hydra.jpg (27KB, 337x450px) Image search: [Google]
hydra.jpg
27KB, 337x450px
>>8428667
We have observed immortality... well biological immortality as such with Hydras, biologically immune tiny little microscopic jellyfish. I believe they have the ability to reset their aging back to prepubescent maturation, ergo they're technically immortal to senescence or accumulated biological damage of macro-molecules and cellular components due to aging. Even going beyond just hydra there's a few unconventional examples of immortality in the animal kingdom, it seems to be inconsequential to their survival, millions of hydra get eaten by predators anyway so really the immortality they possess is fickle and serendipitous.

Still doesn't it suck that a tiny little phallic looking underwater hot-dog is immortal but sentient "intelligent" beings die within the span of 70-80 years. ayy lmao
>>
So Immortality aside what's the longest a human could be kept alive.
>>
>>8428066
If things like most reptiles dont become old age it means immortlaity is reachable.
>>
>>8428773
>>
>>8428764
...also lobsters...

Unless you boil them, of course.
>>
Double post because I'm gay

>>8428757
Wut
You've been reading too much on "Maslows hierarchy of needs", were talking science not "bullshitery tabula rasa, the brains memory is finite bullocks" no matter in science is a black and white situation with yes of no answers there's a ton of grey that shrouds every field especially biology and neuroscience, so this matter is neither confirmed or disproven.

>>8428296
This is the gayest philosophy drivel I've seen in my life. Yes we would be humans *biologically immortal humans*, but if your arguments basis is around us having to restructure the definition of hominid because of us evolving into different species or something than maybe we may become something different than what was phylogenetically and morphologically the same as "humans".

"The species problem" is an issue that plagues modern biology it's not some deep profound thinking matter that asks the question of "what makes us human" for a fucking Jeep or perfume commercial or something it's a genuine problem with how we define living organisms.

like i said there's a ton of grey in biology and there's like a few methods of evolutionary forces that would influence this.

>>8428738
>>8428667
Nope it's been observed many times in the animal kingdom.

>>8428691
^^ THIS SHIT, MY NIG
>>
I WILL DEDICATE MY ENTIRE LIFE TO THE PURSUIT OF OBTAINING IMMORTALITY AND I WILL BE SUPREME DICTATOR OF THE WORLD.
>>
>>8428773
I recall a news story on the other day about the oldest women alives birthday of 130 or something ridiculous like that, many doctors were interviewed about the issue saying physically the cut off is 130, not 120ish - 130ish dead set on that mark. Don't know if it's true doe. Remember people die from the consequences of senescence not from the actual act of aging itself.

>>8428791
I fucking love lobster it's delicious as fuck
>>
Meh. You hit a certain age and you realize it's not even desirable, much less feasible.
>>
Immortality is the clever biblical thought of the futurist ideology. Why knell to some monotheistic God, when you can become one? It's man stroking his primary ego in a hall of mirrors. Ideally, if you get to "heaven" you can do anything, but you'll continue to sit around shitposting, masturbating, watching Netflix and not flushing after going number 2 in public. You despicable heathen
>>
>>8428066
It is feasible with 22nd century technology.

Don't listen to the brain uploading fags. That isn't immortality. It's death.

There are biological organisms that don't age. We just need to copy them.
>>
The most feasible way to extend aging would be to create an enzyme that adds nucleotides to your telomeres. This can be done with a virus using gene therapy, but we've learned about 10 years ago that the science is unpredictable and requires more research. Other than that, avoid carcinogens, cell damage, radiation, and danger in general.
>>
File: muh nword.jpg (5KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
muh nword.jpg
5KB, 225x225px
>>8428812
nigga, someone gonna shoot you.
>>
File: DontBMaddB.jpg (6KB, 206x218px) Image search: [Google]
DontBMaddB.jpg
6KB, 206x218px
>>8428757
neural damage and stagnation can be resolved with successful application of stem cell therapy.
>>
>>8428818
Ah yes, the flesh of the immortal is irresistible by those destined to die.
>>
File: Star Trek Sulu1.jpg (17KB, 441x408px) Image search: [Google]
Star Trek Sulu1.jpg
17KB, 441x408px
>>8428812
Dick tater, alright.
>>
>>8429513
>>8430403
I concur, study the heck out of there bionics and biochemistry, replicate the enzyme/substrate necessary to perform the metabolic chain of immortality, we've done stuff like this in the past look like Biotechnology an entire study based around exploiting natural mechanisms for practical usage. GMOs, antibiotics, and gene therapy are enough evidence to say we are very capable of producing this shiz.
>>8430403
I see where you coming from anon, telomeres are associated with age length. (those little edges at the ends of chromosomes) Dwarves have smaller, shorter telomers which inhibit growth for them by limiting the times that they can replicate cells, there's prolly some statistical data around about the number of mitotic divisions that can occur I recall that shit being touched on in 101 genetics more as a fun introductory talking point than a serious discussion. They often have shorter than average life expectancy rates which sucks.

The whole thing sounds plausible, although we did just recently discover what telomeres are and there's still plenty of grey around aging. Lets hope the gerontologists of the future figure this shit out before we rot away and when they do lets limit the knowledge to people only invested in STEM and forwarding the cause of science so we don't get no cray nigs like this
>>8428812

It looks like cryobiology is getting a little more attention, there's been success with preserving and extending the lives of frogs and microorganisms.

On alternative methods of life extension like cryonics the shit mainly used in sci-fi

We can freeze some human stuff like eggs and sperm for in-vitro fertilization, too bad as soon as you apply it to tissue the extremely cold temperatures that put a hold on the biochemistry and metabolic functions of organs cause freezer burn similar to when you leave some cut open hamburger patties in the freezer.

>>8430420
:'c

>>8430412
PHIL100 disagrees "memories are necessary for existing" lul
>>
>>8428066
Nothing is impossible anon.

Many, many complications and problems will arise on the path to finding immortality, and even when it is found, problems will still arise later.

If you wanted to be truly immortal, you would need a much greater power to sustain yourself when the universe expires.
>>
>>8428066
>Is immortality feasible?

Quite yes.
>>
>>8428066
Not in these bodies friend. Having yourself transferred in someway to another medium could be. But then you'd still be dead, really.

>>8429513
Copying extremely simple creatures in a complicated mammal?
>>
File: 1468361464178.jpg (147KB, 1713x667px) Image search: [Google]
1468361464178.jpg
147KB, 1713x667px
>>8428081
I think the burden of proof is on you to confirm this. For all we know the sun and earth could have a mechanism to repair itself and gather more fuel.
>>
File: 555-come-on-now.jpg (26KB, 600x375px) Image search: [Google]
555-come-on-now.jpg
26KB, 600x375px
>>8433005
>For all we know the sun and earth could have a mechanism to repair itself and gather more fuel.
>I think the burden of proof is on you
>>
File: 1475659551648.jpg (19KB, 399x533px) Image search: [Google]
1475659551648.jpg
19KB, 399x533px
>>8433012
>Immortality is impossible. Everything and everyone dies eventually

Duh uh im not makin the claims here niggur, simply suggesting that what you are stating as fact is not backed up with facts.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.