[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Calculus I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

File: math.jpg (62KB, 554x390px) Image search: [Google]
math.jpg
62KB, 554x390px
Hi /sci/, I failed my first Calculus test, I need to pass my second one this Wednesday. Is there still hope? It's based on Stewart's 8th ed. My plan is to do the chapter reviews because my professor teaches from the book most of the time. General studying ideas appreciated, thank you.
>>
>>8427723
>general studying ideas

make flash cards, use mnemonics

don't do practice problems, waste of time
>>
You have internet access, nigger. Thousands of material to help you out. Stop being lazy.
>>
>>8427730
Pretty much this. Now, get off 4chinks.
>>
>>8427723
search "professor Leonard" on youtube and youll get his lectures for w.e calc you need. pretty useful to understand the concepts
>>
File: 1476365411694.jpg (683KB, 2111x1300px) Image search: [Google]
1476365411694.jpg
683KB, 2111x1300px
Study old tests and make sure you know your proofs, those usually give you free points. Then there should be some type of problems that are very common. Focus on the ones you find the easiest of those.

Flash cards are great, but I don't know what they'll do for you in 4 days, usually you want to make and use them during the course.
>>
>>8427729
>>8427767
Flash cards are a waste of time in mathematics courses. You're not going to be tested on your ability to remember exact information, you're going to be tested on your ability to solve problems. So you should practice solving problems.

You might be asked a few definitions that you need to know precisely but you won't be able to solve the problems in the first place if you don't know the definitions.

There's no point in brute-force memorizing "the derivative of x to the n is n times x to the n minus one". Once you've taken the derivatives of 10 polynomials in your textbook you'll remember the form and you'll be faster at the process.
>>
File: proverb.jpg (12KB, 492x700px) Image search: [Google]
proverb.jpg
12KB, 492x700px
Thanks everyone
>>
File: ivan.jpg (205KB, 1000x585px) Image search: [Google]
ivan.jpg
205KB, 1000x585px
>>8427774
Not necessarily. If the course is definition heavy, it will probably be quite effective. I would say a combination is often nice, since the flashcards would make you repeat the actual definitions, theorems and corollaries (etc), while problem solving and proofs let you work on the skills needed for those.

Sure, for a test, problem solving might be the best (as I said above, making flashcards a few days before a test is useless), but for becoming a good mathematician you have to know your definitions and theorems like the back of your hand. You do not learn these directly by solving problems (which is just learning and practicing algorithms and recognizing when to use which), you learn them by repeating them from time to time.
>>
>>8427810
>You do not learn these directly by solving problems

that is because the problems assume you already know the definitions and theorems like the back of your hand.

Do this OP
>read section in chapter
>solve the following problems related to the section you read

Seriously, don't skimp on reading or read back and forth between problems.
Most efficient way to study is to sit down, read everything in the section, THEN start solving problems.
>>
>>8427723
Do the practice problems listed at the end of the chapter. That's really all there is to it. Calculus 1 is easy as fuck.
>>
>>8427810
I'm not sure I agree with that. If the course is definition heavy, then the problems aren't going to be something you can bash through with a brainless algorithm like a bad calc course.
If the course is light on definitions and heavy on just getting through the problems, then knowing how to do the problems is enough.

For example, suppose you're in a number theory course and you're asked "prove that sqrt(5)+sqrt(3) is an algebraic number". Very simple to do but you couldn't even attempt it unless you can define an algebraic number precisely.
>>
>>8427729
Obvious bait, do not listen to this guy
>>
File: shish.jpg (330KB, 1764x1158px) Image search: [Google]
shish.jpg
330KB, 1764x1158px
>>8427833
Well, of course they do, the problem in many courses is that you study a section and then go on to the next, never looking back at the details and only the major things follow along. Repeating things regularly keeps the information you got from previous sections fresh. Flashcards or notes are also great at making you more active while studying, instead of just reading.

But hey, I'm not going to argue about the best study method, since it is very individual. Though, for your next course OP, try flashcards or something similar and make up your own mind. Maybe you'll thank me a few years from now, after remembering som obscure thing at an exam because of a flashcard you wrote some years earlier.
>>
>>8427723
Two useful things I just discovered:
>Pomodore technique
>Khan academy videos even when you've been to the lectures and gone through the book. He probably explains it much more easily and concretely.
Of course rigour is important too, Khan academy seems like it can be very good for getting intuition.
>>
>>8427723
Coming from someone that used that same back for Calculus 1 and got an A, just do problems from the back of the book.

Math tests are about your ability to use the information you have learned. One of the most important things is to get in plenty of practice. Do all of your HW and spend at least 4 hours aside from HW to do extra problems from the book.

The thing that has helped me through every year of math is to create a "Study Guide" for each exam so I can have a single sheet of paper with all the info I need for the exam. It should include any formulas/applications you don't memorize yet.

Also, there were students that failed their first exam and still got a B in the class. Don't give up hope!
>>
Lmao rat. Go back to pre-calc and switch to business m8
>>
>>8427723
Paul's Online Notes and Schaum's Outlines of Calculus.
Do exercises, a lot of them.
>>
>>8427729
Don't do this. Instead just practice 3 or 2 days ahead of the exam by doing a bunch of homework problems and going over whatever the prof. emphasized in class.
>>
>>8427723
Do all of the homework problems, and then do them again until it's second nature.
>>
>>8427774
Yep, pretty sure you're wrong there. I used Anki, the spaced repetition app to completely dominate in my undergrad math courses. The key, OP, is to use 3 textbooks that approach the subject from different perspectives and levels. What one book is vague on, another will elucidate clearly. It's easy, main.
>>
>>8427723
Find the solution manual for the book and solve all the problems. It is impossible not to succeed if you are able to recreate those solutions without looking at the manual. Memorize if you have to.

If you have old exams, memorize them also.

By memorize, I mean be able to solve them without looking at the solutions
>>
>>8427723
What type of learner are you? Focus on your weaknesses and move on with other things after you feel comfortable.

Are you doing proofs? Or are you just going through the limit definition, continuity, and the equation of a tangent line (i.e. derivative) and running through problems?

Also do the hardest problems and make sure you get them right, so that way, you can approach most problems without difficulty
>>
>>8427729
Now this is a quality meme
>>
>>8427949
good chunk of the business majors at my university fail precalc
>>
>>8428034
>Paul's Online Notes
YES
>>
How do people not get As on Calc exams

All you have to do is start doing problems here and thete like 3 or 2 days before the exam. I'm not particularly smart, but I still pulled top marks. Are people just that lazy?
>>
I also have a exam this wednesday.

I got an A on the first one, but that was mostly just integration.

the next one is on series and sequences.

any advice specifically for these things?
>>
I am /toosmartforuniversity/. it's certainly not optimal for an autodidact like myself.

Couple weeks into calculus 1 now, doing well, already past the chain rule and beyond. Quotient rule was a joke. Product rule remains my specialty.

I ask my professor his thoughts on quantum mechanics and partial derivatives. He's impressed i know about the subject. We converse after class for some time, sharing mathematical insights; i can keep up. He tells me of great things ahead like series and laplacians. I tell him i already read about series on wikipedia. He is yet again impressed at my enthusiasm. What a joy it is to have your professor visibly brighten when he learns of your talents.

And now I sit here wondering what it must be like to be a brainlet, unable to engage your professor as an intellectual peer.

All of the deep conversations you people must miss out on because you aren't able to overcome the intellectual IQ barrier that stands in the way of your academic success... it's so sad.

My professor and I know each other on first name basis now, but i call him Dr. out of respect.

And yet here you brainlets sit, probably havent even made eye contact with yours out of fear that they will gauge your brainlet IQ levels.

A true shame, but just know it is because i was born special that i am special. I can't help being a genius, nor can my professor.

Two of a kind is two flocks in a bush.
>>
>>8427729
>don't do practice problems, waste of time
neck yourself, peasant
>>
>>8427750
i watched a few of his lectures but the examples he does are much easier than the ones they give on my tests, but hes pretty good at explaining concepts and also swole af
>>
>>8429894
how do you even stoop to a level to write something in this vein?

I guess you probably can't help it though.
>>
>>8427729
this post is pure evil
>>
>>8431186
it's pasta, bro
>>
>>8427723
Mathbff on YouTube
>>
Are 12 weeks enough to pass a discrete math + Calc II course? What do you think is a good amount of study per day?
>>
>>8427774
Am I the only one who never encountered proofs in the calculus series? It was community college...
>>
>>8431335
I did proofs in Calc at my old community college

How the fuck is it possible to not encounter proofs throughout the entire sequence
>>
>>8431337
They simply never taught us any. Now I have to take a class called mathematical logic at Uni just to learn proofs. Sucks balls.
>>
File: tumblr_nyp2w3esF61ro7rpno1_1280.jpg (29KB, 640x519px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nyp2w3esF61ro7rpno1_1280.jpg
29KB, 640x519px
>>8427729
>flash cards for calc 1
>>
>>8431324
Presumably you have homework, always do that as soon as possible. Read your text book slowly and carefully, with pen and paper on at hand. Most ideally you should read about the content of a lecture before the lecture, even skimming through what will be covered for about half an hour will really help you get a lot more out of lecture. If something is unclear, go to office hours and talk to your professor. The amount of time you'll need is going to vary depending on how the course is taught at your university, but it's rare for Calc II and discrete math to ever really be that difficult. It's more about doing what is discussed above than spending a set amount of time each day.
>>
is the method of studying calc the same as studying stats?
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.