[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is your favorite /sci/ piece of software?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 11

File: hns_pop1.png (47KB, 720x426px) Image search: [Google]
hns_pop1.png
47KB, 720x426px
What is your favorite /sci/ piece of software?
>>
I like imageJ
>>
>>8427382
LTSpice
>>
Chemdraw

t. Chemist
>>
ds9
>>
>>8427387
What do you use it for? Viewing DICOMs perhaps?
I'm interested a bit in image processing.
>>
>>8427382
I quite like mspaint.exe, nice software. Gud for all undergrads.
>>
>>8427395
I use it for microscopy
>>
>>8427399
Interesting, I used ImageJ to view and process (only a little) DICOM MRI images of a head.
I got stuck with extracting just the brain from these images.
>>
>>8427402
Sorry, I wouldn't even know where to start with that. I'm an optical physicist, I use it for analysis of PSFs
>>
Microsoft Excel

You think I'm joking?
>>
FoldIt
>>
>>8427415
No, not something you suffer with everyday, something you genuinely enjoy using.
>>
>>8427413
I'm a computer scientist (hey, someone had to say it lol) and intend to learn about optical flow estimation. Do you analyse the motion in video sequences from microscopy?
>>
>>8427434
Not yet, but its something I will end up doing by the end of my project. The guy a couple of desks away from me has written a programme that does that and he said I can use it when I get to it, which is nice.
>>
>>8427436
Nice, have fun with your experiments :)
>>
SimuLink.
>>
>>8427423
Don't enjoy using it but it's genuinely a powerful and vastly functional program for basically anything.
>>
>>8427482
I used to hate Excel, until one of my classes covered it properly.

Now it makes my prostate spasm.
>>
This.
>>
GeoGebra!
>>
File: 015_bender-laugh.gif (5KB, 146x227px) Image search: [Google]
015_bender-laugh.gif
5KB, 146x227px
>>8427387
>ImageJ
just use matlab you cuck.
>>
Matlab/Mathematica or Python with modules? I'm genuinely curious as to which one is more useful for different situations
>>
calc.exe

scientific mode... like a boss.
>>
>>8427503
shiiit, that looks fucking sick. What is the name?
>>
>>8427826
Mac Grapher. Comes stock with MacOS. The biggest problem is the lack of documentation, but you can get most of it through the examples it has.
>>
File: sprinkler_gear.gif (2MB, 304x224px) Image search: [Google]
sprinkler_gear.gif
2MB, 304x224px
Clover.apk

So I can read /sci/
>>
>>8427415

>Microsoft Excel

>You think I'm joking?

Unfortunately no, I believe you. Pls learn how to use databases.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/amp22577/genetics-papers-excel-errors/
>>
MATLAB
Python
>>
>>8427519
Why not both? ImageJ is good for stacks.
>>
>>8427681
As a very high level summary, python for when you're actually trying to code something, matlab for when you want to analyse results.
>>
>>8427415
Please learn a real stats program like R.
>>
>>8427382
xilinx ise
>>
>>8427382
You should try Aladin, it's pretty powerful and can even do basic image processing, catalog searches and some really fancy stuff. You can get images of the whole sky from many surveys and it's fast because the data is stored in a hierarchical pixelation method. It's more aimed at research astronomers but you should give it a go.
>>
File: fun.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
fun.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
This has been extraordinarily fun
god damn spam filter
>>
matlab
>>
>>8427681
If you're trying to solve things analytically/sybmolically, use Mathematica. Nice pretty formatting, and the typesetting is much easier than LaTeX. Perfect for writing up reports with single-line sample calculations. Easy to find errors, because everything is in symbolic algebra just like if you were working it by hand. Mathematica = Godmode reports, symbolic algebra/calc, and quick checking matlab code.

If you're doing numerical work with large datasets that's too complex for excel, matlab is hard to beat. Bitch to debug compared to Mathematica, but handles matrix math, summations, and indicials like a champ. Absolute shit for symbolic/analytical math.

Python is for if you're autistic enough to want to write apps, but too autistic to learn something that's actually used in industry like Java or .NET?
>>
>>8427382
Overleaf.com and LaTeX in general
>>
>>8428616
I would disagree, Python has a lot of very approachable libraries that make it easy to do "complex" tasks with little knowledge of the underlying processes...
But yeah Python is shit for anything but learning/startups
>>
File: screenshot196.png (473KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot196.png
473KB, 1280x800px
>>8428070

OMG KSP!

I LOVE KSP!
>>
File: screenshot2.png (451KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot2.png
451KB, 1280x800px
>>8428912
>>
File: mathsinjava.jpg (57KB, 674x490px) Image search: [Google]
mathsinjava.jpg
57KB, 674x490px
>>8428616
> but too autistic to learn something that's actually used in industry like Java

Brb, writing an AbstractSingletonProxyFactoryBean for the sake of being less autistic.
>>
>>8429047
do you know any social engineering?

Hacker?
>>
File: IMG_2127.jpg (32KB, 456x270px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2127.jpg
32KB, 456x270px
I have a love/hate relationship with ArcMap and other Esri software
>>
>>8427382
GROMACS, hands down
>>
>>8429073

I'm far too technical to do social engineering work.

I do write crypto code (not in Java).
>>
>>8427382
Black Mesa.
But really python
>>
>>8427890
If the sprinkler is just going in a continuous circle why do they need 2 cogs?
>>
>>8429169

A sprinkler usually goes 180 degrees back and forth.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.