[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Aubrey de Grey

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: Mad-Monk-Aubrey-de-Grey.jpg (366KB, 1405x1405px) Image search: [Google]
Mad-Monk-Aubrey-de-Grey.jpg
366KB, 1405x1405px
Is he the real deal /sci/? A liar, or a lunatic, or a man who will save us all?
>>
>>8427106
I hope so because if someone could convincingly redpill me on singularity/immortality/etc I would have a nice reason not to commit suicide
>>
>>8427106
middle ground, he's not full of shit but he's not considered likely to be successful either, academics have been unable discredit his proposals but remain skeptical

a 2005 MIT tech review said "SENS does not compel the assent of many knowledgeable scientists; but neither is it demonstrably wrong"

but biotech is advancing quickly and i'm no
expert so who knows

>>8427121
the potential for rapid technology innovation is greater than ever, even if it's a one in a billion i wouldn't wanna take the risk of missing it
>>
>>8427121
Knowing that it might last forever is the only thing keeping you from killing yourself?
>>
>>8427182
This pretty much. He was a compsci by degree so when he got into biology he got met with a lot of skepticism and outright hostility.
But he's been building his credibility bit by bit.

Not saying you should take what he says as gospel, but he certainly knows his biology and certainly seems to believe it himself and is very passionate about it.
>>
I haven't heard anyone put forward a more reasonable proposal, and SENS is endorsed by many respected scientists (including George Church and Anthony Atala) who are also on their advisory board.
>>
>>8427268
Yup. Open to to other suggestions.
>>
What do I need to study to be able to research this? Is biotechnology good or should I go for medicine?
>>
>>8427435
>http://www.sens.org/education/about-srf-education/srf-education-faq
>Any bioscience major, such as biology, biochemistry, or genetics, will start you on your journey to a career in regenerative medicine. However, if you wish to become a bench researcher, start looking for research opportunities. It’s never too early to look for a lab in which to conduct research. Take laboratory classes to sharpen your skills. Read about research being conducted at your school and then talk to the professors about your interest in their work. Getting an early start in a research lab will open more and more opportunities for you in the years to come.

You need to study how to google.
>>
>>8427440
Thank you anon, I will study how to google too c:
>>
>>8427121
You never know what crazy stuff technology could do 200 years later. Why commit suicide when so much interesting shit could happen? Maybe we humans would eventually become like those aliens from 2001: A Space Odyssey and transform ourselves into higher beings. I'd stay around for that. No more silly limits, no depression, none of the biological crap that keeps us down.
>>
Ray Kurzweil says the singularity will happen in 2035.
Optimist put it as 2025.
Pessimist put it at 2045.
Realist put it at 2050.
Nihilist say it will never happen and we shouldn't care.

Out of the 5 given answers, making the Nihilist the last one. Who currently has the most likely prediction date for the singularity based on information currently in 2016?
>>
>>8428457
The guy who simulates Pro Evolution Soccer AKA Pes Simist
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.