[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So do we live in a simulation /sci/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

File: 1477041006902.gif (134KB, 540x1391px) Image search: [Google]
1477041006902.gif
134KB, 540x1391px
So do we live in a simulation /sci/?
>>
File: 1434730560101.jpg (88KB, 665x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1434730560101.jpg
88KB, 665x1000px
We don't. Stop watching science fiction.
>>
>>8426982
prove it
>>
>>8427020
If it really all were a simulation, those who died would come back in some form or the other

Inb4 they just get deleted and don't come back but you will

Given that condition then it's at the very least not a simulation for everyone else.

Therefore there exists an entity whereby this world is not a simulation.
>>
>>8427024
>If it really all were a simulation, those who died would come back in some form or the other
What?
>>
>>8427024
>If it really all were a simulation, those who died would come back in some form or the other
If you mean "if all of life were a simulation than it would be possible to resurrect the dead" but what I suspect OP and what most people mean by "is reality a simulation" is more along the lines of matrix. You still live, you still exist, you still have biological body but you spend all your life, from birth to death, plugged into the simulation.
>>
>>8426981
We do; our own.
Someone has to do it.
>>
>>8426981
Perhaps but to call it a simulation is moronic, the level of science required to evens simulate our universe down to the subquantum level would be beyond we could build in 500 years.
>>
>>8427024
You know retards think lapse in memory is actually them suddenly being in a different dimension (I swear x was spelt y!) and also people think they have memories of the past.

Both of those could be explained via re-using non-cleared memory / simulation, albeit a shit one.
>>
>>8426981
probably. we are just electrons firing in the neurons in a special path. and by we i mean i cuts theoretically there is only 1 electron.
>>
>>8427084
Ah, I see. In that case, won't it really be a case where it is outside your power to both prove or disprove? Or can you use an alternative method of proof with a proper assumption?
>>
>>8426981
No, but your conscious brain simulates the world around you by interpolating your senses.

Your eyes see an accurate and reproducible image, but your brain fills in details and meaning which is why we easily suffer from illusions, hallucinations and mass hysteria.

Look at your coffee cup, now close your eyes, spin 180 and try and grab the coffee cup. You probably succeeded because your brain retained a spacial representation of the world that you were temporarily unable to observe while your eyes were closed.

>>8426982
The truth is immaterial, knowledge of the simulation is no difference from knowledge of science and physics.

Lack of free will is no different from free will because you wouldn't be able to change anyways.
>>
>>8426981
Alder's razor.
>>
This issue was never raised until the Matrix came out, then suddenly pop philosophy exploded

Why would we be in a simulation in the first place anyways? What would an advanced civilization learn from us (ex. what did we do that they can't)?
>>
File: matrix.jpg (103KB, 560x301px) Image search: [Google]
matrix.jpg
103KB, 560x301px
Yes, of course.
>>
>>8428301
That premise is bullshit to begin with. Harvesting energy from the human body? Advanced intelligence powered by wiring meat sacks in parallel. Fucking stupid
>>
>>8427151
>180
>>
https://youtu.be/

relevant
>>
This is an unanswerable question.
>>
>>8428301
Why do we play videogames? Maybe their (our) world was mind numbingly boring.
>>
File: d23_6.png (1MB, 1404x764px) Image search: [Google]
d23_6.png
1MB, 1404x764px
>>
>>8427020
Burden of proof lies on the accuser.
>>
>>8427151
>180
Nice meme
>>
>>8428395
Someone doesn't understand the matrix.
>>
>>8428409
How can you create such a complex and massive simulation but you can't cure boredom? We even have drugs today for that.
>>
>>8428472
Which part? The psychological enslavement or the scientific plausibility, practicality of growing fields of human beings to use as biological battery packs? Or Neo as the Christ figure. I'm really only talking about meatsack batteries when cold fusion was clearly the better option. Bad writing, ruins the story.
>>
>>8427102
i don't think you realize what a simulation is
the things in the simulation were not the things who created the simulation, of course, because they did not exist to create it. knowledge of how the simulation works is not a requirement for being in the simulation.

not that I think the universe is a simulation (it could be, idfk) but your argument is crap
>>
>>8426982
You don't know that though. What you should have said is: "you don't know".
>>
>>8428301
>The issue was never raised until the Matrix came out

What is the concept of the Evil Demon in Descartes' first meditation?

Perhaps the imagination of a computerized simulation (which in itself is a bit anthropocentric) didn't come before widespread sci-fi, but people have been considering this for a good while prior to the Matrix.

>Why would we be in a simulation in the first place anyways?

The approach to this question could seem basic to us, as the humans we see ourselves as, but who's to say that this simulation/vat/trickery realm does not impose some sort of breach to our thought process? How would we know that we CANNOT know that we are in a simulation/whatever?

I am in no way supporting the le epic matrix proposition, nor do I think that the contemplation of it is in any way productive, but nobody could say for sure. That is core to the discussion and theories, I would say.
>>
>>8428301
>Why would we be in a simulation in the first place anyways?
You mean why would anyone create a simulation? Humans create many different simulations for many different reasons. Simplest of them is - because we can.
>>
>>8429004
The plot originally explained the human pods with a much more sinister plot. The robots had not only enslaved their bodies but also their minds. Every human brain was linked together boost the computing power of the Matrix. In fact, the link between their minds was the Matrix itself!

As you can see, this confuses the simulation problem further.
>>
>>8429239
My point was: if not for the energy harvesting motive, why keep the human race alive at all? I thought it was a weak foundational motive for justifying the matrix's existence. The AI race in Battlestar Galactica kept coming back because they wanted to coexist and reproduce (create hybrids) and some other religious reasons I forget. It was a richer contextual basis. The Matrix could have been better; what they did was just lazy writing.
>>
>>8429053
Even if we want to talk about computerized simulation, there is at least one anime with that topic that came before the Matrix, but I> forgot it's name,
>>
>>8428430
ralph pls go
>>
I feel that if we are living in a simulation the developer/s would have left us a clue to discover this for ourselves and as we have seen with videogames today, easter-eggs and bugs are found day one...
>>
>>8429515
How would we know when we found a bug or easter egg? What could we compare it to?
>>
The recent Simulation theories are based on the fact that humans already can produce pretty good simulations. If we can produce pretty good simulations just 30 years into the Information age it is not far fetched that one day we will create simulations so complex as the universe itself. and if that is possible, than it is probably true that there are much, much more simulations out there, than real worlds. And if that is true, then it is simple math that we probably live in one of the simulated ones, and not the real one.

This however assumes that the universe is not infinetely large or complex. If you can never fully understand nor fully explore the universe, then it is not a Simulation.
>>
>>8429257
well THe reason the humans were kept was that their neural network was incorporated into the computer. The humans were the hardware.
>>
>>8429522
If we reach the edge of the galaxy and start clipping through the geometry
>>
>>8426981
We have no means to ever find out about that. Wow such an interesting thought experiment etc.
>>
>>8429036
Im saying it is not a simulation but a creation, an alien presence outside of our universe made this dump for some reason.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.