[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Exam Question

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

File: image.png (92KB, 772x782px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
92KB, 772x782px
I just got out of a Statics Exam and this question tripped me up hard. I had a very good idea of what I was doing but I'm not sure if I did it right.
It was given that the turning over point is when the Normal Force at A is equal to 0 which makes conceptual sense.
Can the anons of /sci/ help me to solve this problem to see if I performed the right process during my exam?
>>
2500*9.8-W*((3+12)*cos(30)-8.4)=your IQ
>>
>>8426146
If that 9.8 is the acceleration due to gravity then it is you who is the brainlet
>>
>>8426136
are you retarded?
>>
>>8426150
Yes sir, I had a retard moment during the exam
>>
The problem was that I thought there would be a reaction force at D but that would've given me too many unknowns to work with and I was stuck so I left it out.
I didn't think what I did was correct that's why I ask.
>>
>exam question
>imperial units

pls
>>
>>8426167
the reaction force at D doesn't come into it.
>>
>>8426136
sum of moments about point B equals zero solve for weight of drum.
>>
>>8426172
So not using it was correct then, so if anyone decides to do it out I believe I got ~5360lb but this seemed way too high
>>
>>8426174
I solved for moments about C, was this a poor choice on my part? Would point B be a better initiative to this problem?
>>
>>8426180
Point B is the fulcrum.
>>
File: IMG_1761.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px)
IMG_1761.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>8426176
enjoy that class. It was one of my favorites.

P.S. Took that class 6 years ago. Solved this in less than 1 minute.
>>
>>8426188
I enjoy the class thus far and I'm excited for dynamics next semester.

Side note: FUCK YES THATS WHAT I GOT

Thanks Anon
You have reassured me
>>
>>8426192
>I enjoy the class thus far and I'm excited for dynamics next semester.Side note: FUCK YES THATS WHAT I GOTThanks AnonYou have reassured me

glad to help. Register for the Fundamentals of Engineering exam and take it your senior year. Welcome to the Engineering Club.
>>
>>8426210
Did you study Civil Engineering or something other?
>>
>>8426219
>Did you study Civil Engineering or something other?

Civil (BSCE), Specialize in Geotechnical, Taking the P.E. Exam in the spring.
>>
>>8426223
I'm currently in Mechanical, hoping to change to Aeronautical or at least specialize.

Thanks for the help
>>
>>8426188
I'm pretty sure most 14 year olds can solve this without any problems
>>
>>8426312
>I'm pretty sure most 14 year olds can solve this without any problems

Im pretty sure none of my co-workers I've ever had could solve this. Its a low low bar out there in the real world.
>>
>>8426318
>none of my co-workers
To be fair though there mostly geologists and never took a real college class in engineering design course in their entire lives.
>>
File: Sowers_is_a_little_bitch.jpg (162KB, 800x1009px) Image search: [Google]
Sowers_is_a_little_bitch.jpg
162KB, 800x1009px
>>8426223
>>
>>8426136
OP you need to go straight to the Dean's office and get a transfer to Gender Studies. That may be within your obviously limited capabilities. Obviously anything to do with reality is not.
>>
I literally just learned what a free body diagram is today.

So I'd say the obvious answer is that the crane is yellow. And that I look forward to working with you someday.
>>
>>8426188
Choosing any other point should yield the same result right ?
>>
>>8426146
>Not using Radians
>>
>>8426711
Yes, regardless of where you do the calculation from it doesn't change the result. It just determines where your normal is.
>>
>>8426733
> not using half-turn
enjoy your errors from arbitrary decimal cutoff
>>
>>8426136
So, the drum creates torque around the fulcrum D which then creates torque around the fulcrum B? And you want that to be the same magnitude as the torque created by G?
>>
>>8426741
Doing it this way I got 1658lb
>>
File: profs.png (178KB, 584x954px) Image search: [Google]
profs.png
178KB, 584x954px
>>8426617
didn't have his book. Mostly these awesome people I learned everything from.
>>
>His school uses Hibbeler
I bet you use "Mastering Engineering" where you pay 60$ extra to do online homework.
>>
File: geo.png (1MB, 704x946px) Image search: [Google]
geo.png
1MB, 704x946px
>>8426803
>I bet you use "Mastering Engineering" where you pay 60$ extra to do online homework.

not sure what that is... This book covered foundations design and advanced foundations design but was only used as required reading, everything was taught from professors power points, she said she was collaborating on publishing a text from her collected lessons. Soils mechanics was the professors own curriculum taught from his own power points. Earth structures design and other masters level senior tech electives were taught from professors research and presentations on theory. All in all was very solid well respected degree program I am proud to have graduated with excellent grades from.

I feel this is getting into some dick measuring shit posting territory so I'll be checking out of this thread at this point.
>>
geotechnical engineering is a meme degree
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.