[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Idris thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 6

File: Idris_book.jpg (13KB, 255x320px) Image search: [Google]
Idris_book.jpg
13KB, 255x320px
(ignore this thread, thanks)

Here some typy math
[math] f \, : \, a \to b [/math]
[math] g \, : \,\prod_{a:A} P(a) [/math]

And some code:
http://pastebin.com/2SUjWmEA

Bye Yogesh :)

Also a reply to >>8423518:
The competitors aren't in practice used to execute code, they are compiled to type check (check if a proof of a theorem is valid). Agda and Idris are the Haskell dialects, and Agda also uses questionable characters, pic related.
There's the "for programming" book coming out for Idris and it has an irc channel that seems to work
>>
>>8424859
Mhm, btw., what can one say about inverses of functions in dependent function types.

E.g. there may be
[math] f^{-1}:b\to a [/math]

But what about
[math] g^{-1}: ? \to a [/math]
>>
>>8424871

Depends on P(a).
> literally.
>>
>>8425334
Mhm, a little vague, but my call for an "inverse" surely was even more vague.

I also notice that my notation wasn't very good.
To make it consistent, if

[math] f : a \to b [/math]

then we should wrtie

[math] g : \prod_{x:a} b(x) [/math]

I now recognize that if we keep track of the argument for g via

[math] G : a \to \sum_{x:a} b(x) [/math]
[math] G(x) := (x, g(x)) [/math]

and

[math] \pi_1 : \sum_{x:a} b(x) \to a [/math]
[math] \pi_1 (x, y) := x [/math]

we get

[math] \pi_1 \circ G = id_a [/math]

In the other direction, just to specficy the domain, we must construct the type of elements that make up some section construction from g.
>>
I'd like to try Idris, is it advisable to learn haskell first? Is it just haskell with constrained types?
>>
>>8425596
No, Idris has dependent types. Dependent types are "better" than what standard Haskell offers (System Fc). Just jump straight in. There's no point in learning Haskell just to use Idris later.
>>
>>8425596
The online tutorial/book will be introductory enough.
Difference is that Haskell has a much larger community and a far better compiler developed by a bunch of people and - the compiler does intelligent type inference and, given the type, may compute part of your code for you.
Idris is also just a starting point to see what "type driven developement", as the books title says, could bring to the table beyond Haskell. The latter is said to develop into the dependent direction in any case, btw.
>>
I like reading and ranting - the Idris book isn't freely available - does anybody have another suggestion they may find a broader participation?
>>
>>8428444
What about 'Type Theory and Formal Proof'? It ain't free but it's on libgen.
>>
File: Rory_Ulysses.png (280KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
Rory_Ulysses.png
280KB, 500x376px
>>8429688
Well na, I'm already disappointed with the participation at the Robotics thread - I'd try to organize people work something with many people interested. And you know, even if you discuss something basic - like analysis - advanced people can find interesting tangents too.
>>
>>8430031
I think the participation is always going to be shit. I remember at least two reading groups on /sci/ and three on /lit/. All of them failed prematurely, even though some of them had a fairly wide attendance in the beginning.
>>
>>8430055
I actually bought a copy of Infinite Meme.
How long do the summer reading groups last for it?
>>
>>8430495
Are you literally riding a high horse?
>>
File: IMG_2463.jpg (972KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2463.jpg
972KB, 3264x2448px
>>8432540
Merlin is not made of cardboard, if that's your question

On board with Idris? Other ideas?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.