[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Electrical Engineering really that difficult?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: 1452092180448.jpg (32KB, 700x300px) Image search: [Google]
1452092180448.jpg
32KB, 700x300px
Compared to other engineering majors is it really that hard? I am a Computer Engineering major but the curriculum at my school for my major kind of sucks. The EE curriculum looks much more interesting and solid. As Comp Eng major I basically taking standard CS classes with some EE courses sprinkled in. Is it the conceptual part of it that is hard? Understanding all the physics? Pls don't bully. Thank you.
>>
Major in EE. You're pretty much an idiot if you go into engineering and don't do EE or ME. 100% serious. Get in before it becomes a meme like CS.
>>
Some places do CE good, some don't. When in doubt stick to EE, you don't want to become a CS with some shoddy electronics skills. The good CE courses will be grounded in EE modules but have some CS topics/modules on top, to do it the other way is a bit dangerous.

The topics aren't hard per se, it's just keeping on top of the work load and building on the knowledge you acquired from previous modules.
>>
I'm just a student of EE ... I have a lot of friends in computer engineering and I can say that everything that you study we study too, but more ... Our graduation consists of automation, telecommunication, electronics, energy and much more. It is very difficult, because we are full of all subjects and we have no time for anything else, a lot of projects with no interval between them
>>
>>8423939
>Tip engineering (ME)
>relevant

Alright epic
Seriously though, what is wrong with BME?
>>
>>8423939
>Get in before it becomes a meme like CS
I don't think this will ever happen.

>>8423959
Thanks.

>>8423970
All of these things sound interesting, I have a General Ham Radio License and would like to have a better understand of electronics but I don't want to be that kid who says they love science and math in high school and then completely bombs when they get to Uni because they had a 80 average in high school and thought Vsauce was science. But thanks my work ethic is inconsistent right now because I am not 100% stable yet but once I get on the right medication it should get better.
>>
>>8424009
>Relying on medication
Mindlet.
>>
>>8424014
I have Bipolar I so my work ethic takes a nose dive when I am depressed. It's not like I am taking a nootropic or a psychostimulant.
>>
>>8424033
I bet you're below 1.83 meters in height too.
>>
File: 1462506049404.jpg (13KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1462506049404.jpg
13KB, 320x320px
>>8424052
Please get out of my thread.
>>
>>8424004
>Guy shitting on BME was just tipping
sasuga
>>
>>8424009
>shit work ethic
>shit at math
>thinks is just throwing some electronics together

Confirmed future CS major
>>
>>8424132
When did I ever say I am bad at math or that EE is simply hobbyist electronics? Did you even read my post?
>>
Come on!! Face EE, you'll love
>>
>>8423926
Yes /thread
>>
Doing a Computer Engineering/Comp Sci dual degree. should I do a operations research masters? Interested in doing a bit more applied math but you apply it to Hardware design or manufacturing?
>>
>>8423926
Getting a degree is not necessarily hard. Knowing your shit to actually design and build shit is the actual hard part. It's harder than the degree if you want to reach a competent level. Build stuff as a hobby while doing your degree. It's awesome.
>>
>>8423970
>I'm just a student of EE ... I have a lot of friends in computer engineering and I can say that everything that you study we study too, but more

Unfortunately only from a hardware standpoint. Regarding computer science and programming you learn a lot less especially if we talk about the theory behind how and why things happen with computing.
>>8423959
True, especially
>Some places do CE good, some don't.

>>8423926
Read what I and that guy wrote above.
Basically CE degrees with heavy EE focus are good.
Another reason for choosing CE is if you feel the auto-didactic drive in yourself and/or you pick up shit very easily plus you're fine with a "hybrid" education.
Most "hybrid" degrees give only about 120-140% knowledge of two separate degrees that is if they're good. The advantage is that the 120-140% we talk about should give you knowledge which overlaps in ways which shouldn't be possible for a pure EE or CS guy easily. One example is Mechatronics: viewing almost everything through systems theory.
Your courses should reflect too.
Basically you should have a broad and interdisciplinary knowledge you can further deepen on your own.
I believe EE is harder to learn on your own for some people. Build shit in your free time using cheap chink components. (Instruments can be a problem, however if you're student you probably have access to a lab.)

To answer your original question, OP, EE degrees make sure you at least understand the basic physics and they give you a comprehensive knowledge. CE degrees usually focus more on electronics aspects instead of all kind of electrical stuff. I recommend reading up on the more EE heavy stuff (Power electronics, electrical machines, electromagnetism, RF) and taking some classes if you can.
As a CE you can probably write some simulators for yourself. Writing various simulations (coding the numerical methods yourself, no library) and comparing it to a working simulator or the real stuff will give you a good understanding.
>>
>>8424398
I'll do it, I am tired of being self-doubting loser.

>>8426153
Thanks for the advice.

>>8426183
Thank you anon.
>>
I'm a PhD candidate in ECE. My undergrad was in CE. I made sure to do it instead of CS because I wanted an ABET-accredited eng degree and not some meme bullshit. Definitely go with EE or CE depending on your interests and what your school offers. I went with CE focus because I only care about computing and digital electronics and don't want to deal with electromagnetism, power systems, analogue circuits, etc when I could be taking computer hw/sw classes that I actually care about. I'm in a CE lab and when we have EEs come in they might know about analogue circuits but that is irrelevant for what we do and they often can't code for shit
>>
EE major CS minor or CE major?
>>
>>8426892
Do you prefer digital circuits and computing or analog circuits and power systems?
>>
>>8426903
They're all interesting desu.
>>
>>8426892
An EE with a minor CS tells employers that you likely:

1) substituted programming in C++/C in the EE department for one (or two) Java class(es) focused on making GUIs rather than solving problems
2) substituted Vector Calculus based Probability and Random Processes course(s) with an 8th grade algebra based course on discrete probability that's barely better than "probability for business majors"
3) substituted the detailed EE/CpE computer architecture course for a CS computer organization class that spends 1/2 its time on C, 1/3 of its time on flipflops and logic gates, and only 1/6 on any computer architecture
4) took a watered down CS Discrete Math course rather than the more richer CpE's DM or Math Proof courses
5) took a weaker data structure class than CpE do and again in Java rather than C/C++
6) took a superficial CS Numerical Method class which doesn't require DEs over the thorougher and more useful math departments' Numerical Analysis course

Honestly it's a minus rather than a plus on your resume.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.