[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Equation of the longest distance of a one to one function

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_1005.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1005.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
Hey /sci/, so while I was driving yesterday I noticed that the left turn of an intersection had an unusual curve on the dotted guiding line; that got me thinking about what the equation of the absolute maximum distance between two points may be, while the function still remains one to one? I'm not very smart but this has kind of been on my mind for the last few hours - the line acts like a limit but it obviously does reach that limit. I believe it also is essentially 1/4th of a circle as well. Pic related of course.

I'd really appreciate any help.
>>
>>8423585
For some reason it uploaded the photo sideways. I apologize.
>>
>>8423585
>the function still remains one to one?
What do you mean by that ?
>>
>>8423585
There is no maximum length curve between two points. You can always add "squiggles" to make it longer
>>
>>8423595
A one to one function means it passes both the vertical and horizontal line test. You could have an infinitely oscillating line between these two points, but it wouldn't pass the horizontal line test.
>>
>>8423602
Then it would not pass the horizontal line test and therefore wouldn't be one to one.
>>
>>8423607
You are looking for bijections?
>>
>>8423614
Somewhat, but more specifically I'm looking for the equation that would model said line(s) since there technically would be two maximum distance lines of equal length (lines 1 and 2) that share the same slope but are on different sides of the direct line.
>>
>>8423585

Between (0,0) and (1,1) such a function is:
[eqn]\lim_{n \to \infty} x^{n}[/eqn]
As you increase n it becomes more and more like a square, but it's still one to one for all finite n.
>>
File: 675.png (22KB, 898x744px) Image search: [Google]
675.png
22KB, 898x744px
>>8423585
You have set no constraints on the function being continuous so the answer is it can be as long as you like it to be
>>
>>8423656
Thanks a bunch anon!
>>
>>8423656
How did you arrive at this?
>>
>>8423820
It's pretty obvious desu
>>
File: IMG-20161018-WA0004.jpg (37KB, 600x719px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20161018-WA0004.jpg
37KB, 600x719px
>>8423820
It's quite trivial desu
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.