[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is wormhole travel a meme?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 123
Thread images: 17

File: IMG_1686.jpg (161KB, 660x495px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1686.jpg
161KB, 660x495px
Is wormhole travel a meme?
>>
Yes. You cannot bend the fabric of the universe.
It's all theoretical garbage like infinite universe or white holes.
>>
>>8421139

Not according to that one guy in that kick ass documentary about a ship that passes through the event horizon of a black hole only to get sucked into a hellish universe
>>
>>8421139
>>8421139
>You cannot bend the fabric of the universe
Maybe you can't because I am doing exactly that right now.
>>
>>8421033
>>>/x/
>>
>>8421139
>You cannot bend the fabric of the universe.
>>
I just bended some fabric in the universe, what now skeptics.
>>
>>8421306
the movie Event Horizon wasn't a documentary it was warhammer 40K fan fiction.
>>
>>8421139
>cannot bend the fabric of the universe
We learned about that with relativity, you literally can't do anything at all without bending space and time
>>
>>8421428
>>8421343
>what is a mathematical model and how is it different from its physical interpretation?

back to high school kiddos
>>
>>8421442
>I like to talk out my ass about shit I don't know
>>
>>8421450
no projecting please
>>
>>8421442
That's a stupid point. You didn't address the thing I pointed out. Or rather, you gave a flagrant indirect response. My point remains and the only thing changed is I now know some anon browsing /sci/ is a douche
>>
>>8421442
Gravity itself it the deforming of time and space, no really anon your head is older than the feet due to gravitational time dilation on a incredibly small level.
>>
>>8421461
your point is actually shit and I directly addressed what you pointed out. If you're too stupid to understand then you're truly salvageable
>>
>>8421472
You didn't say at all how;
mathematical models not exactly lining up with the physical world = fabric of space time is unbendable. I see what you're trying to say, but we're talking relative to the observer, not in the grand scope of the shape of space. We can't really bend it because we're in it, but you know what I'm fucking referring to. Can we initiate an action that bends space time? Yes we can
>>
>>8421139
Umm... You cannot, not, bend the fabric of the universe - basic relativity. It bends all the fucking time.

>>8421033
But yes, it is. While they may theoretically exists (and in fact, probably do, given that all the other predictions have been solid so far), traveling through one would be a lot like traveling through a black hole - you become spaghetti then and are eventually reduced to elementary particles.

You might be able to send information through one though.

Creating one involves some non-FTL travel between the two points, so there's limited usefulness in that.
>>
File: gravitational_lense.jpg (50KB, 800x475px) Image search: [Google]
gravitational_lense.jpg
50KB, 800x475px
>>8421480
>mathematical models not exactly lining up with the physical world = fabric of space time is unbendable.
No, the mathematical models says that space bends, and the experimental and observational evidence says that space bends. Which is why we see shit like this, and why your GPS works.

Whether *we* can artificially bend it (beyond sticking a lot of heavy stuff in one spot) that's another thing, but naturally occurring bent space is everywhere.
>>
>>8421355
Do you even know what a documentary is
>>
>>8421488
>>8421488
That's what I'm saying though, that other anon was all like
>can't bend space
Of course it bends
>>
>>8421499
Mah bad, I just read the first sentence of your post and was triggered.
>>
>>8421502
Same
>>
File: 2385720476.jpg (35KB, 570x427px) Image search: [Google]
2385720476.jpg
35KB, 570x427px
>>8421348
>>
File: Untitled2.png (291KB, 1800x852px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled2.png
291KB, 1800x852px
>>8421343
>>8421033

in relation to pic above,

basic topology prohibits it.

in order to make space time overlap (which may be impossible) you first have to rip it apart (which is also likely impossible)

wormholes could exist from a topological point of view, but not as described in pic above.

if they were to happen they might work more like pic related.
>>
File: Untitled.png (307KB, 1800x852px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
307KB, 1800x852px
>>8421526

less sci fiy wormhole. although in 3d, a brainlet could possibly be unable to distinguish the difference.
>>
>>8421033
If wormholes exists, you could probably transmit information through it. Objects should be destroyed.
>>
It is not a meme. Although we are quick to bring it up in a discussion even though it is still a far fetched idea, it certainly is not impossible.
>>
>>8421355
I watched that movie again recently and there are a lot of unresolved plot threads

for example they use the scanner to detect lifeforms across the ship but I don't think they even explain wtf that means. Was it supposed to be ghosts? Can the machine detect ghosts? Are they ghost busters?
>>
>>8421754
*The scanner detects thousands (more?) lifeforms on the ship.
>>
>>8421757
Haven't seen that movie in years, but maybe it meant the ship itself was alive, and possibly just as insane as everyone else who came back. Unable to mutilate or kill itself it utilized the rescue crew for that task. That puts a whole new spin on things. I think I need to watch it again.
>>
>>8421355
Thank fuck I'm not the only one who thought this.
>>
>>8421139

You can't into gravity. The currently accepted, most complete theory of gravity the human race has, is built on the premise that it is directly due to mass bending and curving spacetime.
By the way, the recent detection of gravitational waves from the merger of two black holes, is concrete proof that spacetime is constantly warped and bent by mass/energy.
>>
>>8421442
Do you know anything about general relativity? Learning it now in uni. Black holes were predicted as a result of certain boundary conditions in the Einstein field equations. We have recently (empirically) detected the merger of two black holes into one larger one, and the subsequent emission pattern of gravitational waves (also a prediction of the field equations).
Really anon, I have the paper sitting in front of me right now.
>>
>>8421033
There's a fine line between theoretical and bullshit.
>>
>>8421306
Pichacu Kaku?
>>
>>8421139
>cannot bend universe
clearly never learned about the fucking paper folding demo. what a faggot
>>
>>8421634

>transmits information through
>implies an object isn't considered information
>>
>>8421492

I think anon was attempting to be funny.

And the more I think about it, the response was funny...
>>
>>8421771

Go ahead. And watch it again, if you're the sort of person who likes wasting time watching shitty movies.
>>
>>8422123
anything larger than photons. asshole.
>>
>>8421139
a white hole?
>>
>>8421033
Absolutely, any discussion of travel via wormholes must remain purely in the theoretical realm until we have a theory of quantum gravity
>>
>>8421139
Define you definition of "Fabric of the universe"?
>>
File: Consider_This.jpg (29KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Consider_This.jpg
29KB, 600x600px
Blackholes are Wormholes

You can enter a Wormhole but your body matter will be disintegrated and ejected as disordered energy somewhere else
>>
>>8422139

Don't look now, but information larger than photons can move through wormholes.

Asshole.
>>
>>8423334
Black holes are quark stars.
>>
My fear is black holes, a question:

What is the probability that one approaches the solar system?

I hope that is zero ...
>>
>>8424002

Sauce?
>>
>>8424042

It's not zero, but it's very close to it.
>>
>>8421033

Yes. Even if you could jump into a black hole and arrive at a singularity on the other side of the galaxy, you're still at the bottom of a black hole with no possible way out.
>>
>>8424042
>What is the probability that one approaches the solar system?

Given a long enough time period, close to 1.
>>
>>8421786
>>8421463
>scientific realism
>2016

hahahahahaha oh fuck
>>
>>8424259
Is that taking into account the 'evaporation' of black holes?
>>
>>8421139
except, the universe IS infinite
>>
>>8421488
Explain the GPS bit- I never got that. Do they all use atomic clocks?
>>
>>8421139
Just thinking out loud here, but if you really could bend the fabric of the universe, would you not only be able to traverse space, but also time, in a hypothetical situation? Or am I completely off on how four dimensional space-time should work.

Also, I'd like to understand a little bit more about theoretical models about the universe. How, in a general sense, does 4 dimensional space-time relate to our view of the 3 dimensional observable universe?
>>
>>8424223
>>8424259
It would be ok to be afraid of an event like this? Or im so stupid that I'm afraid of something stupidly improbable?
>>
>>8424499

I wouldn't worry at all.

Good night anon
>>
>>8424387
Given that the rest of the universe burns out, and the large black holes absorb all the remaining matter that hasn't been put beyond their reach by the accelerating expansion of the universe, magnitudes of trillions of years before they evaporate, yes.

But the sun will probably expand to fry us before we run into one, and the biosphere rendered useless for life well before even that, so meh. Bobby McFerrin had it right.
>>
File: bhidf.png (143KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
bhidf.png
143KB, 1920x1080px
>>8424223
>>
>>8424249
The idea is that there are two or more black holes bending space in such a way between them as to create a funnel.

>>8424437
GPS works by satellites and timing. Since the geostationary satellites in question are in a higher orbit, they are under less gravity, and, relative to us, time slightly moves faster for them. Einstein's relativity calculations are applied to compensate for this, as otherwise, within a week or two, the GPS information would be off by a few thousand miles.

http://www.astronomy.ohio-state.edu/~pogge/Ast162/Unit5/gps.html

>>8424433
[citation needed]
We're fairly certain there's a limited mass within the universe, at least, judging by the CMB.

>>8423993
[citation needed]
...Unless you mean you could eventually beam enough information or energy through the wormhole to build something larger than them on the other side.
>>
>>8424249
>the bottom of a black hole
the what?
>>
>>8421033
>>8421526
Poorely formulated but yes, in GR the gravity doesn't change a manifold, it changes its metric tensor. Which is perfectly sane. With wormholes you have to change the whole topology of a manifold. Which is veeeery awkward, stupid, unreasoned, unsmooth, useless and ridiculous. Only a dick could think of it. It's a maximum cancer idea, I hate it even if you use it in a movie. Please stop.
>>
>>8424834
Homer Ellis confirmed for being a dick.
>>
File: really white hole.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
really white hole.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>8423072
it's like a black hole but it's white
>>
File: bending2.jpg (109KB, 650x582px) Image search: [Google]
bending2.jpg
109KB, 650x582px
Earth also bends,warps,and twists space/time.
Frame dragging.
>>
>>8425633
a black whole sucks time and matter out of the universe right?
shouldnt a white hole return it?
>>
>>8424834
I kinda get what you are saying but not really. You mean that you can bend space however you want so long you don't open a hole in it and connect this hole elsewhere?
>>
>>8424499
When it comes to universe, galaxy, and world ending theoretical possibilities the best thing to do is to don't think about it.

It's out of your power anyway, and stressing yourself will solve nothing.

Besides if something of immense power destroys the Earth your death would be fairly quick.

I personally worry about a nuclear holocaust more than I worry about rogue black holes.
>>
>>8425857
But... this...
>http://newsok.com/article/5520832

:c I hate black holes :c
>>
>>8424223
>>8425869
>>8425857
>>8424624

Given this, should continue to have fear for these niggas?
>>
>>8421306
What's it called?
>>
>>8426031

>The Sam Neil story
>>
>>8423072
>>8425633
>>8425737
>WTF R white holes!?!?!?
You're living in one:
https://arxiv.org/abs/1311.4853
>>
>>8425926
>>8425869
Micro black holes aren't a threat - if they already had strong vectors, they'd pass through the Earth with little to no effect. If they did get caught in the gravity well, they'd oscillate in the middle, but wouldn't gather much matter.

The reason for that is micro black holes put off a shitton of Hawking radiation. So, as a certain heavily accented speculator once said, getting matter into them is kind of akin to getting a beach ball into a fire hose, that's turned on.

If they passed close enough to you, rather than sucking you into a timeless vortex, they'd fry you with radiation.

Also the article is neglecting the fact that atomic sized black holes don't actually last very long. Any created at the dawn of time would have long since evaporated. However, they may still be common, as they can theoretically be created by other means.
>>
File: riemann.jpg (250KB, 903x986px) Image search: [Google]
riemann.jpg
250KB, 903x986px
>>8426142
>cosmology
>differential geometry

It must be nice to study untestable/unobservable "science"
>>
>>8426552
Well, cosmology is testable, to a degree... But yeah, this is string theory tier shit right here, and some of it may even come down to a simple matter of perspective.

But that's pretty much all you're going to get when someone says "white hole". (And mostly what you'll get when someone says "wormhole".)
>>
>>8426566
checked. dunno if you were the one who linked that false white hole paper, but the abstract/intro/conclusion were 'interesting' - what bits i could follow.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0370269313009805
>>
>>8426591
Yeah... True it's interesting, and maybe not entirely without purpose, but until you can find a way to test it... I mean, like string theory, you can make up perfectly functional mathematical models explaining why everything is as it is, but with no way to test them, it's just really elaborate mental masturbation. Math isn't reality, it's only a language, and can describe all sorts of perfectly logical things and interactions that are, nonetheless, not real and not happening.

Though there is also the matter of doing the work to see if it creates more problems than it solves. (Like say, Electric Universe theory did, well before Rosetta crushed it for good.) A lot of these explanations don't even pass that test.
>>
File: tumblr_l6vhql2ySE1qb8m44o1_500.jpg (45KB, 421x427px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_l6vhql2ySE1qb8m44o1_500.jpg
45KB, 421x427px
>>8421306
Please does anyone know the documentary he's talking about?
>>
>>8426612
String theory works when you "invent" the tiny undetectable 'strings' that make up literally everything.
>>
>>8426634
More to the point, it operates on such a small scale you can't test for their existence, not even indirectly.

If we one day build a particle collider the size of the orbit of Mars, maybe we'll finally kill it once and for all, but until then, you can say almost anything you want when working in that realm.
>>
>>8426156
So ... it's something we should worry us ...?
>>
>>8426671
Well, if you're worried that you might get struck by lightning, win the lottery, and be stuck by a meteorite, all at the same time, then you might have to worry about a micro-blackhole passing close enough and slowly enough to fry you as well.

But, even then, at least you still don't have to worry about getting sucked into one, as they don't work that way.

Slick bathroom floors, on the other hand...
>>
>>8421306
thats a movie
Event Horizon
WE DON'T NEED EYES WHERE WE'RE GOING.

It's a great movie though
>>
>>8423072
A whiteboi's boypussy
>>
>>8425633
A white hole is literally a portal to another universe.
>>
>>8421033
my thoughts are going to you, meeting in a different time. I am literally making a wormhole to you reading this.
>>
>>8421033
It is possible in theory, but we won't do anything with it anytime soon. But as humans we keep advancing, so maybe if we become type 3 civilization we will use worm holes, just like we use relativity now.

>>8423072
>>8425737
>>8425633
>>8427108
>>8423334
White hole is something that emits matter/energy because someone thought that black holes has to have opposite.
But now we know that black holes are "white holes" as well because of hawking radiation. They even can emit visible light.
Things that fall into black hole doesn't disappear or get moved to somewhere else. They all are become energy and are slowly returned back to universe as radiation as black hole "evaporates".
>>
>>8427127
That's... Not actually what a white hole is supposed to be, or what the theory was about. But as they probably don't exist, meh.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_hole

Naked singularities are also sometimes referred to as "white holes" - but these, also, should not exist (probably, hopefully).
>>
>>8427198
Well, that's interesting. Sorry for spreading bullshit, I just got memed by popsci.
>>
>>8427230
Actually you're not *entirely* wrong though. Plus Hawking radiation eliminates the paradox that "eternal" black holes represent that makes some white hole theories possible.

It's used to describe several different theoretical phenomena, really.
>>
>>8421488
>implying there wasn't some greasy smudge on the telescope lens when they took this photo
>>
>>8427249
There's a whole lotta greasy smudges on a whole lotta orbital telescopes then.

...Though astronomers do tend to be pretty greasy.
>>
>>8424666
satan is always right in enough time
>>
>>8424666
>>8427379
So ... I believe that humanity still much time left ...

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX-HUv1QRtU
>>
File: a4.jpg (30KB, 415x278px) Image search: [Google]
a4.jpg
30KB, 415x278px
Wouldn't you need extreme mass to bend space like that?
>>
looks at OPs pic...

the smallest distance between the two points is the smallest.

bending space just means you take the longer way round.

>what the hell just happened?
>>
>>8428000

no but seriously.. maybe if you have some sort of excellerative forces that you can produce or make use of..

then wormholes can be like the highway.
>>
>>8421754
Wasn't that because the ship was actually alive after going through hell? The doctor said that the ship now had life, or something like that. Can't remember the exact quote.
>>
Look up based Isaac Arthurs video on wormholes

They'd be too dangerous to have in our solar system
>>
>>8424673

Kek
>>
>>8424673

I'm saving this picture my friend
>>
>>8426975

It was....ok.....

I did cringe when Ensign Justin was cast out into space. Felt bad for him, actually. You just know that he got fucked up from that experience.
>>
File: image.png (39KB, 766x514px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
39KB, 766x514px
>>8428423
I need more
>>
>>8428016

Wasn't it the same doctor that found himself gutted, hanging upside down above the operating table?
>>
>>8428008

Lest we forget just how much energy it takes to bend space in the first place.
>>
>>8424818
>>8424679
>The idea is that there are two or more black holes bending space in such a way between them as to create a funnel.

No, a wormhole is two black holes that connect "at the bottom". You could survive jumping into a black hole IF it was large enough, but you die when you hit the singularity regardless of if it's the singularity in the hole you jumped into, or the one that's connected via the wormhole. There's no way back out of the hole at either end so it can't be used for travel or communication or really anything useful.
>>
>>8428583

So what is the purpose of a worm hole then?

Shuttling degenerate matter? Or is it just some sort of weird distortion in space and time?
>>
>>8426634

String theory works if you posit enough extra dimensions. But guess what, you can prove all kinds of crazy things if you just add extra dimensions, it's cheating and there's no evidence that any of these extra dimensions even exists.
>>
>>8428591
>purpose

This is a meaningless question in physics. The equations predict they will exist, evidence has been found that likewise suggests it, but "why" is not a question you can answer.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3E633552E58EB230
>>
>>8428594

I forget, such a question is nonexistent in physics. Let alone the actual word "why".

I suppose I'm one of a few weirdos who isn't afraid of asking such a question. The universe is a strange place. And it gets stranger the more we learn of it.
>>
>>8428602

Black holes are extremely interesting, and lots of interesting ideas have come from studying them despite their apparent lack of "usefulness".
>>
>>8424673
This scares me desu
>>
File: Wurmloch.jpg (161KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Wurmloch.jpg
161KB, 1024x768px
>>8428583
That's a Schwarzschild wormhole, Schwarzschild wormholes are not traversable wormholes (lest you go all Kip Thorne on them), and thus not what we're talking about.

We're talking about Ellis drainholes, those related Raychaudhuri's theorem, or the flux pinhole wormholes.

The funnel can be created by an interaction between black holes, other heavy objects, and/or dark matter, but it doesn't necessarily have to lead to any one of them, in much the way a series of large objects floating in a pool can make a whirlpool between them, the center of which does not connect them. (And in some variants, the objects that created the wormhole no longer need to be there, or the hole maybe the result of a cosmic string in the primordial universe.)

You still suffer the spaghettification effect as a result of the forces involved, but, in most of those models, as the forces are twisting in a specific rotation and exiting in open space, thus nothing gets trapped inside a singularity as a result of passage.
>>
>>8428605
Black holes have all sorts of potential uses...

Provided you can build thousand mile wide orbital solar arrays to power super-accurate lasers to create them on the trajectory you want them...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x32AkL6HPfc

Traversable wormholes are only good for communication though, and if they can be setup artificially, it'd require you to make the journey at sublight first, setting a whole series of blackholes up along the way.
>>
>>8428605

Yes they are indeed interesting. I believe they play a major role in our universe as ultra obsessive interstellar psychopaths devouring everything in its wake...creating massive amounts of destruction in its wake until everything is consumed; Leaving itself the sole survivor until the next encounter.

And no they don't keep me up at night but I am left wondering about these objects often.
>>
>>8421531
I love this image
>>
>>8421033

Sorry for how im writing this
I am on my phone
I think of space as a body of water
It even states in some religions
If space is a body it would be of mass
Dark matter
Now if you take a fish bowl of water, theres no way you can bend the water to over lap itself, it will just disperse
Now if you put a tube in the water, the distnce from point a - point b will be the same as if the tunnel was not there.
Now if there was a current in the tunnel, whos to say some of the current wouldnt escape around the sides but still flow....why couldnt we just ride the outside of a blackhole and surf it like a wave

Yes this is condescened and confusing but thats all im writing on this POS phone.
>>
>>8430824
Inb4 im retarded >:)
I know i am
>>
File: thatsLife.gif (1MB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
thatsLife.gif
1MB, 400x400px
>>8421033
my cock travelled through your mom's wormhole last night, that wasn't a meme.
>>
File: smellmuhfinger.png (62KB, 200x142px) Image search: [Google]
smellmuhfinger.png
62KB, 200x142px
>>8426628
Space Jam
Thread posts: 123
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.