[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

CRISPR-is it gonna help us in the near future?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 16

File: cris.jpg (166KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
cris.jpg
166KB, 1920x1080px
Hey guys, is CRISPR going to help humanity in the near future?

Not like end aging or cure death, but more like take care of smaller problems?

Minor disorders, Male pattern baldness, blindness, intelligence, better immunity or anything along those lines?

To be hones my biggest fears are;

1) being old and bald
2)not being able to stay in shape when im old

seriously, i just want to know if we can at least cure some minor shit. I dont want to age like my grandfather and have alzheimer's at the age of 60, thats just fucking sad.

(i know cure isn't exactly the proper term but it works, i also know minor doesn't = easy to fix but im just curious)

what do you guys think? can it do ANYTHING to change our lives in the near future? (10-40 years)
>>
>5-7 years
cure minor shit like baldness

>10-15 years
cure chronic diseases

>15-20 years
designer babys, give your baby extra ordinary intelligence, strength and other shit

>20-30 years
immune to every disease

>30-40 years
slow down/stop aging
>>
File: jaxon7.png (343KB, 699x435px) Image search: [Google]
jaxon7.png
343KB, 699x435px
>>8419942

>30-40
>become immortal

you made me feel nice but i have to be skeptical, is it realistic that we can cure things as minor as baldness?

Would people even do research for that shit?

all i see is people talking about designer babies and super powers, but what about every day shit? can this shit cure my allergies? will people even care to do research for minor problems? or will they brush them off as being not important enough.

i think CRISPR wont cure shit, not anytime soon, because folks would concentrate on fixing disorders and big issues, not small ones. (and that would probably take longer)

that, and the "ETHICAL" aspects of this thing (like its ok to be high and mighty about having ~pure~ kids, even if they can literally be born with NO FUCKING BRAIN)

I so fucking hope im wrong.
>>
>>8419955
You have to start small and convince people that CRISPR isn't some new meme technology that will be forgotten in a week, but a life changing technology.

Curing baldness would be a good start.
>>
>>8419963
Seriously? Baldness? The first things we are gonna fix are probably DNA-simple things; like baserepeating disorders.
>>
>>8419963

i hope so, if they try to tackle something big i fear they may come to a halt and just do nothing for like 10 years.

and then people will just forget and not give a shit. this would be VERY SAD, and HORRIBLE for future generations.

seriously, they need to show the tards that "MUH MEYDICEEENIE CAN HELP MAH HAR GRO"

the average person (at least where i live) would call this shit useless if it couldn't cure their "stink-foot"

sad fucking life.
>>
>>8419963
Unless people really push CRISPR in these 40 years - like really doing lots of mad experiments aging won't be slowed that much.

But indeed by removing some shitty genes 120 years would become the new dying age.
>>
>>8419932

Can someone explain me CRISP in a way that my very small brainlet can understand and why is supossed to be revolutionary?
>>
>>8420006
This video is how some of us got hyped by it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAhjPd4uNFY

It already does what you request:
>>
>>8420004
>>8419955
>>8419942
We can't forget that something new and improved will replace CRISPR 20-40 years down the line.
>>
>>8420006
CRISPR methods allow you to target the Cas9 protein to a specific location in the genome with high accuracy and precision. We've had ways to target proteins to genomic locations before (TALENs, zinc fingers, etc) but they rarely worked and were a pain in the ass. CRISPR just werks.

Once you have Cas9 targeted to a location, you can do lots of things. You can create a single or double strand break event, either to disrupt a gene through end-joining repair or modify it through recombination-mediated repair, or you can produce translational fusions of other proteins with Cas9 and recruit some other protein to the position where Cas9 is bound.

The beauty of CRISPR/Cas9 methods isn't that they're novel, really - it's that we finally have a system that actually works and is easy to use. Think of it like if you had to fix a car except you didn't have any metal wrenches, so if you wanted to screw in or unstick a bolt you had to cast a new wrench out of clay every single time. It would be a garbage tool and nobody would want to use it even if they could get it to work. And then one day someone walks in and plops a case of metal wrenches on your workbench and you fall to your knees and cry because you didn't even know such a thing was possible.
>>
File: rev bio.jpg (188KB, 1280x924px) Image search: [Google]
rev bio.jpg
188KB, 1280x924px
>>8419932

Everything is possible. Really.
>>
>>8419942
>cure minor shit like baldness

>cure
>baldness

its not a disease, it's the clear next step in evolution
>>
>>8420423
This means that the wrench is going to be used in new revolutionary methods - even evolve itself as a tool - like in the end cars have now ateliers with robots and automatic processes which fix everything up.

Maybe one day - we would write the genes inside sperm and ovules.
>>
File: 1468906679230.png (105KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1468906679230.png
105KB, 512x512px
>>8419942
>tfw you will reasonably live another 60 years, enough time for the price of immortality to become affordable.
>>
>>8419932

It and technologies like it will completely solve most of our problems by raising the average IQ a couple of sd's. Imagine a world were the average person has an IQ around 150, the problems we have today would be quickly solved by such people.
>>
>>8420679
Would it be possible for adults to become more intelligent with gene therapy, or does it have to be done prenatal?
>>
File: 1461806933136.jpg (161KB, 539x866px) Image search: [Google]
1461806933136.jpg
161KB, 539x866px
>>8420672
>>8419942
>You were born in the time Humanity acquired a form of immortality and got it.
>You were born in the time Humanity made a harem of loyal VR waifus.

Humanity has done a good job.
>>
>>8419932
It is already helping us.

However, it may never help you.
>>
>>8420672
>>8420693
Then religious fags take over and burn everything to the ground.
>>
>>8420690
prenatal. sorry
>>
File: 1476816940947.png (513KB, 975x591px) Image search: [Google]
1476816940947.png
513KB, 975x591px
>>8420700
Your dubs have doomed us all.
>>
>>8420702
Oh well, cybernetic augmentation it is.
>>
>>8420423
So CRISPR can be used on already existing cells? Because Im retarded and don't know shit about this. I thought it could only be used on younger people that haven't finished growing or something idk.
>>
File: 1466432355528.png (48KB, 882x549px) Image search: [Google]
1466432355528.png
48KB, 882x549px
>>8420706
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com(5).jpg (74KB, 600x318px) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com(5).jpg
74KB, 600x318px
>>8420721
>Implying western civilization won't colonize mars and glass Earth from orbit on our way out.
>>
File: don't forget.jpg (430KB, 900x925px) Image search: [Google]
don't forget.jpg
430KB, 900x925px
>>8420721

Unlike the Christians of that time, Muslims today who desire the end of progress are a minority and have absolutely no power (no Muslim state leader powerful enough, no economic or military power).

The next hole, if there will be a hole, will be because of the retarded media and companies that promote a superficial life.
>>
>>8420700
Anon you're under the implication we can't shoot them. Most countries aren't Europe you know.
>>
>>8420721
Anyone who unironically posts that image knows less about history than the average church goer knows about science.
>>
>>8419942
>>5-7 yearscure minor shit like baldness

this is where the progress will stop. The financial incentive is to make expensive cures for aesthetic issues.

Haven't you seen the prophetic future vision that is the movie Idiorcacy.
>>
>>8420693
I wish my parents and grandparents get to use it
>>
Crispr is done on the stem cell level so it probably won't help you personally.
>>
>>8420721
how do you quantify that
>>
Is there a gene trick to make neurons grow back? I don't mean restore memories and shit just make brain healthy and young again.
>>
>>8421273
Probably.
>>
>>8421128
the number of people involved in scientific research, the amount of research published, number of patents, etc

look up scientometrics

i have no idea if the graph is legit though
>>
>>8420721
Black science man educated me and I learned that it was fine for Muslims for a while until a boss in their religious ranks said science is demonic work as well as math from that point scientific discoveries ceased.
>>
>>8420714
If you can express or introduce the Cas9 protein and the guide RNA, you can edit DNA. The problem is that editing is still a stochastic event if it even occurs. If you want to introduce a large scale genomic edit in an organism you either need to edit it while it's still a small bundle of cells or you need to edit or replace an extant major cell population. Right now the approach is that you remove some stem cells from a patient, edit them, and put them back in the patient.
>>
>>8419942
>slow down/stop aging

What if it turns out aging is a mitochondrial disorder? can CRISPR work with mtDNA?
>>
>>8419932
I'm pretty sure if CRISPR ends up not being a meme it will take much to long for it to have applications outside of designing babies, and by the time all the babies live forever, noone will be around who can still die.
>>
>>8420702

Are you sure we can't still edit the genes for our intellect if we're old?

I mean, if we alter the way we regenerate couldn't we also mix that with higher intellect to make our selves smarter?

Tbh, I hope your wrong...
>>
>>8420773
Slight misinformation here, the catholic church at the time where the main proponents of Science and where the ones who saved so much info from roman times, without them science would have been set back way harder.

Im not a christfag but they where pretty based back then tbqh, things like the inquisition are just taking very small minor instances and blowing them way out of proportion.
>>
>>8420700
Nevermind religious fags feminists are ALREADY trying to get humanoid robots banned because >muh misogyny >muh women as dolls shit and we're still years away from having good, fuckable sex bot never mind the kind of 10/10 model looking companion/fuck toy that will come in the future.
>>
>>8419942
>50 years
mudslimes will decolonize science and get rid of CRISPR
>>
>>8419963
>Curing baldness
wouldn't that be sexist?
>>
>>8420773
>The next hole, if there will be a hole, will be because of the retarded media and companies that promote a superficial life.
Not quite like that but close. A good portion of humanity will "turn off" from life over the course of 21st and probably into the 22nd century.

What do I mean by that? I mean people that get replaced by robots that are literally unemployable, the millions that will intentionally lose themselves and live their whole lives in VR the ones that will only dabble in real life when it comes to robots and robot sex and so on.

Kind of like NEETs today but on a far far far wider (society wide, in fact) scale. It will be the first time significant portion of a species will be given a way to tune themselves out of life and live in perfect contentment a fake (virtual, robotized) life.
>>
>>8422755
Sounds neat, but won't this turn affect mostly those that come after 2050+ Not anyone born before?

>>8422433
Baldness knows no gender or race.

>>8422428
/pol/ please go.
>>
What would humans do if we were immortal and had no struggles? If there was nothing to work towards what would be the point of living?
>>
>>8424155
>Hurr durr immortality means life has no reason.
>There will nothing to work for.
You can do anything. Even if humans obtain immortality we still have to stop the universe from acquiring a heat death or we will seize to exist. You can also do things you never done before and master it.

Art, physics, video games, and etc. You will find new things to do. You will eventually also forget some stuff from a few centuries to X-time and will have to go back over them. There is always a point to live.

Just because you're a immortal doesn't mean you still don't have to work for something dumb ass.
>>
>>8424256
>Hurr durr someone asks a question so my autism starts to tingle
>>
>>8424263
/sci/ is nothing, but autism.
>>
>>8420447
But can we modify all the cells in a mammal body. Won't that cause cell damage and since nothing is 100% specific, won't it also cause unwanted DNA variations? Or will this be only appliccable to smaller cell cultures/transplantable cell masses/organs?
>>
File: albert-einstein-marilyn-monroe.jpg (13KB, 245x303px) Image search: [Google]
albert-einstein-marilyn-monroe.jpg
13KB, 245x303px
If you just cut paragraphs willy nilly out of a book, the story will stop making sense.
>>
>>8424155
I don't know, the universe seems pretty large.
>>
It would be awesome if they could cure baldness, but I think it's a long way off. No one knows exact how DHT damages hair follicles, but it seems to have something to do with the sensitivity of androgen receptors. A recent review of research seemed to suggest that while we are aware of some of the genes that are involved in baldness, it will likely be a long time before we know all the genes involved.

On top of that people on average have roughly 100,000 hairs on their heads, and they'll probably lose half, that's a lot of genes that will need replacing.

It's a massive fucking industry though that most companies are scared to touch because of harsh FDA regulations on cosmetics.

I remain optimistic, but in 5 - 7 the Japanese will be stem cell cloning hair, the French will be bio-printing it and they'll be little incentive to stop balding since there's heaps more money in just replacing all the lost hair. I think it's an awesome application for CRISPR though.
>>
File: beachp.png (454KB, 697x360px) Image search: [Google]
beachp.png
454KB, 697x360px
>>8420773
>The next hole, if there will be a hole, will be because of the retarded media and companies that promote a superficial life.
Well not exactly

Even though Consumerism promotes the production of "worthless" items and "worthless" research for human work hours the rise of education in the west AND the eastern countries will promote productive research even through a largely dumb and withdrawn human population. Even if military spending will get bloat in a military-industry complex human work hours and money is still being indirectly put into productive research

With Quantum computers coming along with how ugly folks dont feel welcome in the majority culture I doubt we'll face a hole
>>8419942
>mfw I was born just too late to be eternally young
>>
>>8424479
>,
>>
File: truth.jpg (497KB, 1437x1761px) Image search: [Google]
truth.jpg
497KB, 1437x1761px
>>8419942
but can I reverse circumcision?
>>
>>8423012
>/pol/ please go.
but decolonized science excist!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9SiRNibD14
>>
>>8419932
Will never be used because of ethicsfags
>>
>>8425335
You may have been born early, but that doesn't mean you cant live long enough to get it.
>>
>>8419942
Add about 20 years to everything.

There will be vast gaps between ability in research and approval of application clinically.
>>
>>8425342
I don't see why is that a problem. Yes they're being so completely retarded you question if it was not staged before you realize in horror that it's true.

But think of the bigger picture - they're literally dumbing themselves down and ensuring Africa will always be a worthless continent just waiting to be exploited by non-Africans. They're literally destroying what little progress they've made since decolonization and that's good for us and extremely, extremely bad for them.

if they want to believe that some retarded nonsense bunch of illiterate villagers cooked up is just as valid as Newton that's good for everyone but themselves. And I guess whites in South Africa but if they haven't either entrenched themselves with million layers of police and/or just fled the country by now they're also too dumb to live, white or not.
>>
>>8425853
I think the worst part is they haven't even figured out that they need to decolonize decolonization.

I mean they're speaking English for fuck's sake!
>>
>>8425853
Well the problem is. You got retards like the woman in the video, but you also got exceptions who will get fucked over if you let people like her continue to do what she does.

And the exceptional people will be fucked over hard if you abandon them because they are stuck in Africa, the worse continent on earth.
>>
>>8419932
It will be used to give old men longer boners.
>>
>>8420693
>>8419942
>>8425749
>You still have to wait a long time for all this shit to come.
>When it comes out at first it will be expensive and riddled with errors, so you have to wait more time for bugs to be fixed.
Damn, technology.

Reminder: Over time new and better things than CRISPR will come speeding up the progress. Also a lot of the stuff we view now will be changed dramatically also speeding up the progress (maybe hindering it).
>>
Can I research this if I study biotechnology?
>>
>>8426619
Yes
>>
>>8425340
Yes with time travel.
>>
>>8419932
in about 10-15 years ai will fix most shit so its all good. if government actually fuckin invested in it
>>
File: animatrix.gif (1008KB, 364x243px) Image search: [Google]
animatrix.gif
1008KB, 364x243px
>>8427652
serious question, is this possible or an illogical fear of humans?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGwz1s1E1aw
>>
>>8419942
Dude, it takes 8-10 years for a single drug to make it through clinical trials. Theres no fucking way any of that comes that quickly
>>
>>8427660
Most fear of AI comes from the unknown and humans being pessimist. Since AI with consciousness doesn't exist we do not know the true results of it.

Is it illogical to fear. Kind of, but it makes sense to fear it as we don't understand it yet. To make progress however, we must put fears aside and go balls deep into it, like plowing your waifu.
>>
>>8427666
Not that Anon, but when did he say it would be for clinical use and trial. He just posted estimates of when they happen.

Stop assuming shit.
>>
>>8427667
>To make progress however, we must put fears aside and go balls deep into it
It could be too late then
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0_DPi0PmF0
>>
>>8427671
Top kek. Man I hope you're not serious.
>>
>>8420690
>>8420702
>>8420707
You can, just like any kind of gene therapy that isn't germline, it'll just be a lot more complex
>>
>>8428386
Wouldn't increase through intelligence via gene therapy be mastered before you do it for embryos though?
>>
rejuvenative medicine is going to be about the biggest industry ever. there are still people that don't have cars and smartphones but everyone instinctively wants to be younger.
>>
>>8428452
Yep. It will be a big industry that's going to make a lot of money and influence the world and government.

My only question is. Will the older people who use the rejuvenative medicine be looked at as normal people and left alone, or be hated because "Playin' god.", "Nobody should live longer than they have to.", etc.
>>
File: 1474492266600.png (1MB, 3630x1615px) Image search: [Google]
1474492266600.png
1MB, 3630x1615px
>>8420721
>>
>>8428478

very few people will forgo life extension because it's "unnatural". they'll handwave it and find a way incorporate it into their existing belief system.
>>
>>8420721
>The Great Supine Decline
>>
>>8428608
That is also true. To be honest life extension and rejuvenative medicine would be a blessing for a lot of people.

It also would be good for the economy as many skilled workers stay in, population of countries would smooth for good reasons and nobody has to worry about importing people to make up for numbers.
>>
>>8420721
WE DRINK TO OUR YOUTH
AND TO DAYS COME AND GONE
FOR THE AGE OF REGRESSION
IS JUST ABOUT DONE
>>
>>8420748
Western civilization is already on the brink of collapse under the pressure of Islamic invasion
>>
>>8420748
>duckduckgo

You know they sell your information, right?
>>
>>8428670
You mean Europe because the US and Canada are just fine, semi-along with South America.
>>
So what are some of the problems with CRISPR? Didn't the Chinese recently call off a study on embryos because it didn't seem viable, and now they're actually using it on people?
Thread posts: 90
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.