[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the /sci/ approved way to developing a good work ethic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1

File: 1476139567430.jpg (14KB, 271x321px) Image search: [Google]
1476139567430.jpg
14KB, 271x321px
What is the /sci/ approved way to developing a good work ethic

How do we end the "smart but lazy" meme once and for all
>>
>work ethic
Do not waste your time creating such a thing, it pans out as a concept designed to distract and disorganize workers /age slaves.

I don't have a work ethic. I operate on universal underlying personal ethics. I probably appear to employers to have excellent work ethic, but it's strictly an indirect consequence of the above. An illusion in that sense. If I ever compromise my ethics, I either have a good reason, or will very soon be living with the knowledge I was too weak, stupid, or cowardly to do things how I truly thought was right.

The best work ethic is one that can prove its own irrelevance.
>>
>>8419843
t. ignatius reilly
>>
>>8419847
You'll be okay.
>>
Just fucking do it.
>>
>>8419843
What are you even trying to say

This reads like an /x/ post
>>
>>8419859
I think I'm shifting into a bit of a hypomanic phase.

Not that what I said didn't make sense. I'm posting to let you know I'm giving you a pass for being a stupid fuck because the fault might lie with me to some very marginal degree I can't really evaluate right now.

Enjoy your slavery.
>>
>>8419871
Another guy here, you aren't making much sense at all. It seems you're arguing that a "work ethic" is pretty much irrelevant and that it will come if one works on their ethics in general. Am I reading you right?
>>
>>8419876
Yes. Delineating work ethic from the primary underlying ethics opens one up to manipulation and poor self assessment. It allows work ethic to exist in a compartmentalized and "partitioned" state, and a person will potentially lose sight of the whole. It's not its own separate deal and shouldn't be treated as such.

It detaches one's real ethics from their real world basis. It is a means of alienating the worker from their own principles and maintaining hierarchical control structures. In this way the me at work is not truly different than the me at home. If you make it that way, and inject social and cultural feedback loops at that low level, you're askin' for trouble. Crowd psychology (group dynamics) has traced this out extensively, but it should be avoided intuitively anyway.
>>
>>8419827
there are several psychotherapy methods for developing better focus and concentration. one of the more common I've seen cited is CBT. applying it to yourself is of questionable use, as it's sort of self-defeating if you don;t have the motivation in the first place, but if you're okay with shrinks then might be something to pursue.

a lot of brain training exercises have questionable efficacy as far as I can tell. short-term RCT's have picked up results, but some longitudinal studies on IQ with a "brain-train" group found almost no positive results.

as for medications, adderall is my poison of choice. Judge me if you will. When I go on "vacations" from it, I stack caffeine and L-Theanine, which is backed by enough studies for my skeptical brain to receive psychosomatic benefits at least.
>>
My work ethic comes from my need to be better than everyone else.
>>
>>8419904
this. Competition drives ethic like nothing else, especially when matched by true peers.
>>
check out cal newport's blog, he has alot of tips about getting productive and getting shit done

he got his PHd in comp sci from MiT, has a pretty regimented work life balance, able to finish 5 in the afternoon and getting enough quality hours in, and has a good publishing paper record

I would also say that alot of the distractions we have in this modern world enable us to procrastinate and leave things until the 11th hour. Also analysing why you are doing something and why you aren't giving 100% may clear things up. If you're getting a college degree because everyone else is, or for a well paid job down the line you are being driven by external factors and not your own so you may be perma coasting
>>
>>8419958
How do you stop being driven by external factors and shift them to legitimate internal ones
>>
Eat that frog
>>
>>8419974
Pick up that frog.
>>
>>8419843
/r/iamverysmart
>>
>>8419904
Pretty much this. If I'm jealous of someone, it makes me work harder. If someone I dislike knows a lot about field x, then I deliberately go out of my way to see if I can learn their field better than they do, just to put them down in my own sick way. Basically, I want to be the smartest person in the room due to megalomania/insecurities.
>>
>>8420002
>reddit references

I don't like telling people to kill themselves but honestly, kill yourself any time
>>
>>8419843
>If I ever compromise my ethics, I either have a good reason
That's not compromising your ethics. You just have an ethic that says its ok to change your behaviour when under pressure. I know your ethics better than you, from a single post on /sci/
>>
>>8419899
I was with you until you started tenously pushing Marx
>>
>>8419966
the legitimate internal motivations only you can develop- it's like a flame that you need to kindle or a hunger that needs to grow and constantly be fed. some people draw motivation from past failures in their life- times they were spurned, times they wern't good enough, not getting into the college they wanted. that kind of motivation can crush your soul but it can also drive you. if you only have external motivation- like money or women, it creates an entitlement in yourself and you may never get these things. you want a kind of motivation that is free from financial success, accolades and closer with fulfillment through achievement and mastery

Read books/ watch documentaries about people you admire and try to take some of what they have and put it in your own life.take note of what drives them, and why you admire them in the first place

Start from your goals and work backwards from there. if you don't have goals seriously sit down and write them down. if you can't write any down think about the kind of life you want and why those things are important to you and try derive some goals from those things. start working towards the things you have on the list, if they stop being relevant to you down the track move on. keep evaluating this list as your priorites change and as you try new things.

if you don't have any direction you are cursed to drift forever and never fully realise your talents. one of the worst things you can be is mediocre, not giving 100% in something, not being able to be proud of something. the only person you should be accountable to is yourself, only you know if you go all out. if you are one of those people who can get good grades by doing everything at the last minute, just imagine how much more you could be if you did it early and worked on other things. when everyone else is stressing you're cool and collected.

sorry for the long post, it's not really an easy question for me to answer, only you can really find the answer.
>>
Anyone else only study because they feel guilty if not?
I spent all summer reading ahead, and now I'm reading ahead to the next year
>>
People who are lazy are so because of genetic and environmental reasons.

How do you even turn yourself around when you have been lazy for 25 years? It seems like after first years of college at 18-19 years is the latest when lazy people start becoming disciplined.
>>
>>8420180
What are you studying anon?
>>
You aren't going to develop a good work ethic until you can find some passion for what you are doing or why you are doing it. There needs to be a drive to accomplish your goal, whether it is to get good marks or just to expand your knowledge. Curiosity is a big drive for me, but it's different for everyone. It all starts in your head.
>>
>>8419827
I started taking strattera after finding out I had adult ADD. Now I ride this weird psychotic-dreamland feel into the world of self discipline and meeting deadlines. Its actually changed my life.
>>
>>8420202
Do the meds have any side effects?
>>
>>8420209
If I take them on an empty stomach the nausea is borderline unbearable for the first hour. And it makes me feel... weird. But the results have been good.
>>
>>8419827
I'm a racist and if I don't perform at my best all the time I feel like I've let down not only myself, but also my race, as if me failing in life will put us in a weaker position in the world. My race is my team and we all gotta chip in. If I don't work hard to make myself the most qualified and obtain the important positions in society, how will I and my fellows race realists ever create the perfect mono-ethnic society we have dreamed of?

If any of you met me in real life, I know none of you would ever guess that this is the origin of my work ethic, as I don't look like your 'everyday racist' and I work within a multicultural environment on a daily basis.
I realize it's strange a strange source for motivation, but fuck it - it gets the job done. That's why I don't bother with researching human races further than I've already done. The work ethic and drive it has given me has already made my life great and will continue to do so in the future. I am very proud of what I (and my race) have accomplished so far.

Maybe at some point in the future I will become convinced that the world is not like I had initially thought, but I'll still have the knowledge I've attained, and it won't matter that I've had an unusual source for the motivation. If you're a fellow black man, I encourage you to take the steps I have taken and great things will happen to you too.
>>
>>8420267
Found the juden.
>>
>>8420186
Compsci, with analysis on the side to avoid boredom
>>
>>8419827
>How do we end the "smart but lazy" meme once and for all

Remove consumerism.
>>
>>8420710
But before consumerism we still had people working like slaves it's just that they were farming instead of sitting at a desk.
>>
>>8420713
Remove healthcare.
>>
>>8420071
I'm not much of a Marxist really, but a lot of his core ideas, and the language that formed around them are very concise and direct.

>>8420069
>You just have an ethic that says its ok to change your behaviour when under pressure.
Ethical frameworks don't have to be self consistent, especially over time. I tend to view it as something being compromised by force, you view it as a set of heuristics that modulates otherwise unavoidable losses. They're both the same thing, framed from different angles.

So yes, that's right.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.