[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is biological ageing a solvable problem?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 1466528836668.gif (577KB, 500x498px) Image search: [Google]
1466528836668.gif
577KB, 500x498px
How possible do you believe it is that, with sustained effort, we could eliminate the suffering and ill-health associated with biological ageing by developing deliberate medical interventions to reverse the damage accumulated by the body over time as a natural consequence of metabolism?
>>
>>8419507
It is possible. Several people are already working on it it's called negligible senescence.

You probably won't see something pop until the 2020s-2030s
>>
>>8419530

How can I make it happen sooner?

Even by a month?
>>
File: girlslaughing.jpg (9KB, 205x249px) Image search: [Google]
girlslaughing.jpg
9KB, 205x249px
>>8419530
>he fell for grey beard's meme
>>
>>8419540
Go into bio-engineering or biology and work your ass off.

Donating money to any legitimate organization that does work for anti-ageing. We've had multiple threads about this. (You may not be able to find them in the archive however)
>>
>>8419608
Nobody mentioned grey.
>>
>>8419624
>Pretending negligible senescence isn't a meme.
>>
>>8419507
Yes its caused by DNA so it is solvable by genetic engineering.
>>
>>8419661

Does this apply to humans who are already alive? Can somatic gene therapy achieve that kind of modification?
>>
>>8419661
Its causes by entropy and probability. It's over for humans.
>>
>>8419685

Why do some similarly complex biological systems (other large mammals, in particular) cope so much better with entropy than humans (given their much longer lifespans), if that is the case?
>>
>>8419540

Donate to SENS
>>
>cas9
>Crisper
Pretty cool if someone can figure out something to actually use it for.

If this shit starts to extend the lives on a large portion of the population though it will be regulated as fuck or only available to the super rich/elite with the overpopulation meme cited as the reasoning.
>>
>>8419673
It should be, but that depends on the treatment method
>>
They have recently discovered a species of fish which can live up to 500 years.
Biologically speaking it's possible, how to modify our bodies to reach that is another matter.
>>
>>8419685
No retard aging is caused by telomeres not entropy.
>>
>>8419879
>negligible senescence.
Telomeres shortening is a symptom of ageing, or a defense against ageing problems like cancer, not its cause. It's likely other problems would be aggravated if we only treat telometers shortening.
>>
Ask these guys: https://www.calicolabs.com/
>>
>>8419868
It is very possible to modify living cells on a large scale, meaning we can change the genetics of any organism regardless of maturity. I was involved in a study where this was achieved in rats with HIV, however the process is costly and it is very difficult to prevent an immune system response to the new dna. In my opinion, we will see this type of type of technology become much better over the next decade. that being said, there are huge moral and ethical implications applying this type of gene splicing to human beings. Not to mention that the process of halting aging would likely require extensive hormonal treatments and be to costly for the average person. Regardless, the study of genetic engineering is rising at astronomical rates. The future is bright.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.