[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Nuclear Engineering and Foreign Languages

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1391162543985.png (6KB, 782x543px) Image search: [Google]
1391162543985.png
6KB, 782x543px
Hey /sci/

If I wanted to learn a language for the sake of prospects in nuclear engineering (particularly reactor design that's all wrapped up in tape right now in the USA thanks to the NRC) careers, which should I learn? I've had friends recommend Russian and French. Are there any others I should consider?
>>
SENPAI desu that's it, you could argue German as well if you're not a brainlet. Mandarin may or may not be useful, people haven't figured out what chinas endgame is yet
>>
>>8421181
>German

Aren't they shutting down all of their power plants right now so they can buy nuclear power from France?
>>
>>8419500
Fission or fusion?
>>
>>8421466
I mean as exciting as fusion is, I want to actually have a job. Though the fusion-fission hybrid reactor that the Russians and Chinese want to build sounds pretty exciting.

https://www.rt.com/news/196088-russia-hybrid-nuclear-reactor/

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/china-build-hybrid-fission-fusion-reactor-by-2030-1511328

There just seems to be very little information about it.
>>
>>8421441
That's a political position, the fact remains a lot of the cutting edge literature is in german,. Just last week our department had to pay a fucking scientifically literate translator for a plasmas materials interaction paper. $600 senpai.... If you came up to me knowing German and weren't a complete brainlet, you'd probably get a research offer
>>
>work at a commercial PWR in region IV of the USA

how about you just try to get a english speaking job but with either an architect engineering firm (e.g. circle bar W) or join an international organization like WANO/IAEA or an international branch of EPRI/NEI/INPO?

what part of the nuclear industry are you looking to enter?

also, its not particularly the regulators fault when the public opinion on nuclear generated electricity is: Whats Nuclear Power?
>>
>>8421441
the germans had a knee jerk reaction to fukushima. last i heard from our Siemens contacts is that the germans have already brought some of their units back up.
>>
>>8421484
thanks for the info, I'll keep that in mind. I kinda want to learn German for family reasons too anyway.

If you don't mind saying, what kind of work do you do?
>>
>>8421565
Studying the effects of fusion science on plasmas, can't divulge details, as plasma science is done seriously at like 3 colleges, and it wouldn't be hard to pick out departments. Me saying I'd offer you a position based on just knowing German is a bit of overkill, don't expect it to make up for a shitty GPA or muh pure math degree. Think of it as a hobbies which would get you brownie points every now and then if it comes up
>>
>>8422007
>plasma science is done seriously at like 3 colleges
Princeton, MIT and what else? Michigan? UCLA? Wisconsin?
>>
>>8419500
French and Mandarin are the languages of nuclear engineering, mainly French.
>>
>>8422007
UCLA, MIT, and Washington@Seattle are your big boyz, texas@austin, , michiga ,Wisconsin, and Princeton second place IMHO.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.