[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you guys actually learn during class/lectures? I sit there

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_2629.png (1MB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2629.png
1MB, 750x1334px
Do you guys actually learn during class/lectures?

I sit there like a cuck and can't learn a damn thing. Taking statics, physics, calc 3 and some other shit and I don't learn anything, while my classmates seem to get it.

I have to go to the library or learn the material myself to get it, class is a waste of time.
>>
>>8419474
I've had good teachers and bad, my favorite so far is one who expected you to read the section before class and who worked like hell to be a suplimentary source for the book. We actually held discussion rather than lecture.
>>
Read the lectures material beforehand, turd. The kids who just "get it" are doing just that.

One can't hope to make meaningful observations and statements the first time they see something
>>
Okay, looks like the way to go is to read ahead. Thanks boys.
>>
>>8419474
Going to lecture, paying attention, and taking good notes is 90% of my studying. Other people might be different, but for me hearing the content from a person makes it more understandable.
>>
>>8419492
Haha, this is what brainlets actually believe.
>>
>>8419474
This was me for 100% of math undergrad. I basically taught myself everything post-lecture doing the problem sets and reading the book.
>>
>>8419488
I had a topology professor who would give students a proof to figure out in homework and then work on the chalkboard the next lecture. This would segue into actual lecture. Really a nice method for encouraging pre-class reading.
>>
>>8419474
>another blog post
>>
>Plasma Physics
>tfw it feels like you're deriving something for the sake of math rather than for some sort of physical meaning and you don't understand what in the hell it actually has to do with electrons or ions.

I mean thank goodness for the textbook shedding some light on this but damn.
>>
>>8419474
not the case here
I personally study on lectures only
>>
I'm going to start recording lectures starting this year.
>>
I can if the professor is competent

Here's a situation I'm currently in where I must teach my self the book and get nothing out of lecture

>electronics II
>professor is some young Chinese guy probly 5 years older than me max (I'm 22)
>heavy accent, sounds like he just learned English last year
>really nervous looking up there lecturing, speaks in a choppy and broken manner
>probly never had to speak in front of a group before, judging by how fast he talks and how nervous his body language is
>makes constant mistakes
>no notes, just reads off power points and scribbles notes on the side in a slapdash and sloppy manner
>assigns a homework like every two weeks
>jumps from chapter to chapter and teaches the material in the most nonlinear and confusing way

As a result the class is like 3/4 empty unless homework is due. I just sit there and study the book while him talking is just background noise. I have to be present because everyone's lack of attendance hurts his feelings and he gives attendance quizzes by surprise.
>>
>>8419831
>every Asian stem professor ever
>>
>>8419492
Are you serious?
>>
>>8419474

>while my classmates seem to get it.

Usually the majority of people who don't say anything aren't quietly resolving huge problems of the universe in their own heads, theyre actually not listening and are scraping by a pass.
>>
>>8419474
Instead of sitting there and listening, try to be personally active in whatever is being taught. It probably works a lot less well in high level college courses where it's straight lecture and you can't take your eyes away or else you'll lose track of the lesson and miss some details in your notes, etc. But if you can, look away from the lecture and try to do whatever the fuck you would do with the info you just heard when you're learning it on your own, ex. If you go back and learn it from the textbook, then sit there with your textbook open and follow the lecture until you don't get something, then go to the book to try to figure out what you just heard. If it's just an attention thing, all I can say is pay more attention and try to be interested, it's easier to swallow when you're interested in something.
>>
>>8421126
Not an uncommon thing at my university. All the profs are published, so they just regurgitate chapters with no reinforcement. Don't get me wrong, they ask if you have questions, but ppl don't like to stand out. Pre reading really helps retention in such instances.
>>
I'm only like this for math. All other subjects, I can usually follow the lecture pretty easily.

Dunno if I've got some aspie mental quirks or what, but it's like the math and speech parts of my brain just don't communicate at all. Can't follow someone talking about it, and can't put it into words to describe it myself either. But I can learn it from the book just fine.

Which is why I fucking hate the daily post-lecture group work in my calc 2 class.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.