[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What made you pick your field? For example, I genuinely never

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: 1466043867006.jpg (43KB, 308x317px) Image search: [Google]
1466043867006.jpg
43KB, 308x317px
What made you pick your field? For example, I genuinely never understood people who study geography. What's the appeal of it?
>>
>>8418291

>geography

I dont know why i like it. I remember as a kid i could memorize all the countries, rivers, oceans, islands and cities. It helped me win 4th in the state geography bee in 6th grade. I still don't understand how i could this and yet be a utter failure at all other subjects (SS i do well in, Chemistry as well). I was diagnosed with Autism a few years ago and the psych told me autistic people are naturally drawn to memorizing random things. For some its numbers or superheroes, for me it was maps, geography and history.

I don't have a field btw. I crashed and burned after high school and now bum around at home.

I know this isn't the place for this but i feel empty and hollow. knowing i will never have a career that can help humanity or even a professional career is horrifying.
>>
>>8418327
Fix yourself dumbass.
>>
>>8418327
>Geography and history students are autists
Well, that settles it.
>>
>>8418291
NEET here, but i want to study statistics because i have always been good at this and love it as well

Also considering Applied Math but i'm shit at geometry and i'm pretty autistic about everything else so i gotta git gud at geometry if i want to dual major
>>8418327
Get a earth sience major with geography, anon-kun
Also what's SS?
>>8418376
Everything degree in science and related are always autists
The only ones that aren't are shit like art and social work
>>
I always liked the idea of internalization (including crossover fiction, like what medieval Batman would look like, or a futuristic samurai like Samurai Jack), and I realized that I was drawn to category theory because it finds the threads of commonality and essence relating things. Also, probably Asperger's.
>>
>>8418291
I was drawn to physics because I wanted to learn how/why things work and physics seemed the most fundamental field to study the universe with. It's more complicated than that, obviously, but I'm still happy with the insights it gives.. more or less. Except for the fact that there aren't any fundamental "why"s.
>>
>>8418291
I never understood anyone who doesn't study physics
>>
>>8418615
Would you please elaborate on what left you unsatisfied?
>>
>>8418549
social science probably/
>>
>>8418327
>I know this isn't the place for this but i feel empty and hollow.
What is the place though? Get yourself together, the sooner the better. The hardest step is to actually try and do something. You just need to stop putting shit off, get up and do it.

>>8418549
>NEET here, but i want to study statistics because i have always been good at this and love it as well
Legitimately wondering, what do you love about statistics? I really dont like the statistics I know. Ive been told it gets better when you get to stuff like time series.
>>
>>8418722
I just like it since there is lots of math in it that i like and i like collecting data and doing statistics about it

Also i like economics so maybe i could do Economics and immediately do a Masters in Ecometrics once i get more money
>>
>>8418767
For me its everything I do not love about mathematics. I like topology and differential geometry which is the polar opposite of statistics.

From what Ive heard the path of Economics Bsc followed by an Econometrics Msc is not a good fit. Its probably best if you do (applied) maths or econometrics in undergrad as well.
>>
>>8418787
>econometrics in undergrad
Oh, didn't knew about that

But yeah, i could do Applied math but gotta improve my geometry skills so i can be good
And also i'm really interested in Finance and related, so that's why i would pick Statistics as my first option too

And captcha gave me a business sign
>>
>>8418291
boss said if i got the engineering degree he'd pay me 35k$ more a year. i said okay.
>>
File: joint.jpg (23KB, 500x499px) Image search: [Google]
joint.jpg
23KB, 500x499px
>>8418291
When I was younger, I was obsessed with history, socialized less with other children and stayed at home reading fantasy, science fiction and history books. I remember being able to read Lord of the Rings to my class when I was six, and I always had a natural affinity for reading and the English language, and loved writing stories and learning obscure things that other people didn't know about.

Shortly after, I started acting out at school and at home, and I was diagnosed with Autism and also IQ tested at 134. My family and different educational support services kept telling me how smart I was, and how I would always have problems understanding human emotions. I had no problem understanding human emotions, reading people or making friends - I just didn't share the same interests as them and felt alien - I tried to make friends with adults who would talk to me about history or politics. I was isolated from other kids in a prefab, and by self-fulfilling prophecy and social starvation I ended up become a social retard and legit autist despite being gregious with my peers initially. I was also exempted from doing mathematics as a subject by the school authorities, which still causes me severe problems today.

When I was 12, I start questioning my diagnosis and convinced social workers to reintegrate me with mainstream education for secondary school. Around this time, I got interested in drugs from talking to people online. When I was 13 I started smoking weed and found it helped my social anxiety with people my own age and helped me make friends again. I started to get obsessed with pharmacology though, and the focus of my reading shifted a bit. I read nothing but pharmacology books and drug accounts. After reading Junky by William S. Burroughs, I bought a gram of heroin off the internet when I was 14 and got busted before I could take any. cont. in next post
>>
File: 1452017385541.jpg (120KB, 550x413px) Image search: [Google]
1452017385541.jpg
120KB, 550x413px
>>8419098
Shortly after, I met my best friend for most of my teen years, who was three years older than me and a prodigious achiever in scientific subjects, and also into drugs. He suggested to me that I look into Organic Chemistry. I downloaded Claydens, and from the moment I started reading it, I burst into the most obsessional interest I had yet. There was such an elegant and intuitive logic about all of it, and a perfect mixture of every single application of the human mind - subtle interpretation of little nuances and forgotten items of knowledge feeding into and supporting a final deductive coup, spatial orientation and interesting inversions and minds-eye visualizations, an almost infinite body of knowledge with countless possible combinations of molecular constituents, a huge practical moiety that served as the art to support the science.

I fell totally in love with it, and the interest in drugs that had led me there became a secondary interest. Though my interested waxed and waned over the years, it was always there. I struggled with Maths as a teen, but excelled (constant As) in every humanities subject so despite barely scraping the barrel in Maths I still did very well academically. Heavy drug use took it's toll as well, though, and my performance was inconsistent at times. Though Organic Chemistry and Pharmacology I got into another form of intellectual crack as well - Medicine, another that consistently weds creative intuition with learning and book knowledge. Neuropharmacology, Psychiatry, Anesthesiology were where all the different currents of humanities, philosophy and science met and I made up my mind I was going to become a research neurologist. I went through a bad break-up shortly before my final exams though, and ended up having to go into a Biochemistry B,Sc instead of Medicine. Where I'm currently doing well and preparing for graduate Medicine.
>>
File: Dr Pepe.png (132KB, 396x385px) Image search: [Google]
Dr Pepe.png
132KB, 396x385px
>>8419115
The reason this shift in subject appealed to me despite my natural affinity for the humanities revolves around my desire to be correct - in the humanities, everything is nebulous and ill-defined, and the evidence for your claims that be arranged and rearranged to back up virtually any positions - whether those positions are close or the polar opposites of each other.

In such an environment, there can be no actual development of ideas, only stagnation. To develop an idea, you have to first accept it as a true and correct premise and work forward from it, and add to it from experience or whatever else. The current plurality of views in Academia precludes this, and it essentially like a self-consuming circle of snakes critiquing each other and building a shaky structure of self-reference. New ideas can't arise out of this, because it is anthropocentric, and inevitably the same small handful of fundamental variations of different ideas will resurface in different language, and with slight variations. Humanities, if anything, is a dying academic field, while science is one still being born and the only remaining place where based on the practical worth of your ideas, of your skills, you can be either objectively right or objectively wrong and prove it.

I still want to work in a context where I interact with people and have some meaningful effect on their lives, where I can directly interface with problems of consciousness and the practical injustices of people's lives, and work in a complex environment where human factors continually require a constantly regenerating and fluxing systematic approach to identify the best outcome.
>>
>>8419131
Applying to nsf grfp?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.