[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is psychology a science? Would you consider it STEM?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (84KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
84KB, 300x300px
Is psychology a science?

Would you consider it STEM?
>>
>>8416171
I actually would. I've seen many people on-line bash psychology as a field but it can actually be quite rigourous. Those researchers don't just fuck around and tell gossip at the coffee table, you know.
>>
>>8416171
Many people here say it isn't science, but that's technically wrong.

It's a science all right, it's just not hard/rigorous at all in comparison to the natural sciences.
>>
>>8416171
"""""soft science''""""
>>
>>8416171
cogsci > psychology
>>8416176
>can actually be quite rigourous
citation needed
>>
>>8416171
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychology

its all there, black and white, clear as crystal
good day sir
>>
>>8416171
Most people here are at odds with their psychologists.

That said, psychs do go a little overboard when it comes to the classification of behaviors/thought patterns/personalities... and the whole arbitrary criteria distinguishing healthy from unhealthy thing.

It's also a field that, like Anthropology, is really vulnerable to the politics of the moment. A few school shootings go down, for example, and suddenly violent daydreaming among adolescent males is a disease to be cured.
>>
>>8416171
>Is psychology a science?
/sci/ only considers it a science when its talking about IQ or race.
>>
>>8416171
My school offers 2 degrees, BS psychological Sciences, and B in Psychology.

First one offers emphasis like (also requires a minor in bio, chm, phy, or math:
>neurobiology/pharmacology
>cognitive science
>quantitative

Second one:
>social work
>social psych
>personality
>family child dev

There is a large amount people who have degrees in the second, leading to stigma and employment problems for the entire field.
>>
How the fuck is history a science? A bachelor of science in history.
>>
>>8416171
No, science requires studies to be able to be reproduced. Sadly that is not the case in psychology. And psychology is definitely not a STEM field.
>>8416300
This post demonstrates well how psychology relies almost completely on other fields to save face. Without other fields backing psychology up, we are left with a laughable mess.
>>
STEM is obsolete, psychology is part of the STEAM which is the future
>>
>>8417845
Reproducability in psychology is higher than in medicine. I think that you'd agree that medicine is a science.
>>
File: heil.jpg (118KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
heil.jpg
118KB, 480x640px
>>8417845
>>8416205

>tfw when not all psychology is about mental illness.
>tfw when problems as youve described are problems with society.

>>8417845
no field i think can stand on its own methodologically and it doesnt make sense to think so since you cannot divide the world into discrete independent fields (much the same as you cant do that with mental health) and psychology in its own right has occasionally had great successes such as its influence on behavioural economics and work in social psychology and psychometrics.

if psychology wasn't replicable at all, then you wouldnt have theories in psycology.

>tfw science in general isnt as straight-edged or systematic as people think.

>tfw most people dont know that replication problems are prevalent across all science especially in medicine and replication problems happen all the time but aren't published.
http://www.nature.com/news/1-500-scientists-lift-the-lid-on-reproducibility-1.19970

>tfw when good science in society is being maimed by overcompetition for funding.

i actually dont know about the question is psychology a science. like biology it is an incredibly broad field with blurred borders and a great methodological diversity. its quite a superficial question desu and i dont think a field needs to have what we would call scientific rigour or methodology to contribute great ammounts of knowledge.

a good book also is "what is this thing called science?" an intro into history and philosophy of science giving a glimpse to just how messy science really has been, most of the examples being in physics.
>>
>>8417950

Great book. Every muh it's not science should give it a look.
>>
>>8416171
Psychology is in a prescientific stage. There is no consensus or shared paradigm among psychologists. Instead, there are a number of competing schools of thought which each pursues its own theory that accounts for several specific phenomena. Same is true for linguistics, cognitive science, neuroscience, etc.
>>
I would consider psychology a science. Sociology on the other hand.,....
>>
>>8417950
>physics used to be speculative junk science
>so it's ok that psychology still is
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.