[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Time to think

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: earth-from-space_00224720.jpg (354KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
earth-from-space_00224720.jpg
354KB, 1920x1080px
Okay, let's say a meteor is on a collision course with Earth. It's big enoughto destroy almost all life on Earth.
What would be the easiest way to change it's course? And with all the resources available.

Now, let's say it's a smaller one that will cause a lot of damages BUT it's made of a lot of rare materials. What would be the best way to capture it?

I've been thinking about this for like an hour, with technologies existing now and in the near future.

So, what's your ideas?
>>
well seeing that meteors have their own small gravitation, it would be possible to land on it and stay comfortably. I would say we get a crew from an oil rig that knows how to drill into different terrains well. When they land on the meteorite they could drill to the center and place a nuclear weapon of sorts. If a nuclear explosion was placed at the center and coordinated with the meteors trajectory, then the pieces of the meteorite would fling past earth and out of the orbit.
>>
>>8415898
Would a nuke work in space? There would be a shock wave within the meteor sure but not as much as on Earth because there is no atmosphere.
Maybe the radiations caused by the explosion would do something?
>>
>>8415898
Wouldn't it make more sense to train astronauts how to drill instead of training oil rig workers to be astronauts?
>>
>>8415909
No, that's less heroic. We're going with oil rig workers.
>>
>>8415898

>fucking complete nerds have no idea this is from Armageddon.
>>
>>8415891

I would accomplish this the same way the adjust satellite orbits.

You'd need an apparatus to be able to launch and connect itself to the meteor, at which point small amounts of thrust on the end of long tethers can change the trajectory to one of orbit around earth.

Then we've got time to figure out the rest. I'd land it in Wyoming using some kind of thrust to slow it down.
>>
>>8416250
Inb4 you don't slow down enough and the force of the impact sets off old yellow blowing us to high hell
>>
>>8415909
Actually it's easier to be an astronaut than a drilling engineer.

t. guy getting his petroleum Masters in a year or so
>>
>>8416477
I'm going into nuclear engineering, nice though, anon.
>>
>>8416477
Youre retarded if you think this
>>
>>8415891
Pray really hard
>>
>>8415898
>mfw Aerosmith starts to play on the meteor.
>>
>And with all the resources available.

what resources do you believe are actually availible?
Maybe throw a couple nukes at it with the 1 or 2 availible rockets?
>>
File: it_comes.gif (133KB, 356x341px) Image search: [Google]
it_comes.gif
133KB, 356x341px
>>8415891
If it's big enough to cause a KO event, then attaching thrusters ain't gonna work.

>>8415898
Nor is Bruce Willis.

If you see it from far enough away (hopefully it's made of or covered with something fairly reflective, or you just get lucky), it's probably large enough that you could cover one side with white paint - and the increased reflectivity on one side would actually shift it's velocity over time.

Getting it into orbit, on the other hand, would probably be next to impossible, lest it was nearly going to do that on its own already... Though, I suppose if you had unlimited time to work with, and the starting trajectory were just right, you could just keep alternating white and black paint until you got it where you want it, maybe using the moon in the process - but it'd probably take thousands of years, by which time, you'd probably have a more practical super-tech solution.

Apophis is going to make two passes, and, while not quite large enough to create a KO event, it might be small and close enough to redirect and capture - though it'd be a monumental effort.

Granted, you don't really want to capture an asteroid with rare resources, as if you do, they aren't rare anymore, and you crash the market.
>>
>>8415901
No instead of 1 stone you het millions of stones. And they won't be small enough to burn in the atmosphere.
>>
You have to find it in time first. Like 2 years before it hits. Then you attach some kind of propulsion method to it. Just a small push is enough. That said, we have the method of stoppen it but finding it in time will be a much bigger problem. 95% of the astroids that have a small chance to hit earth are spotted just as they pass earth.
>>
>>8415898
I actually worry about this a lot. I'll sleep better knowing we have plans like this in place.

t. Parisian
>>
>>8417735
We don't have plans. Buzz Aldrin and some other astronautes have expressed great concern about this in the past.
>>
>>8415891
Nuke it.
>>
>>8415891
>What would be the easiest way to change it's course? And with all the resources available.

Just throw lots of money at it, that always works!
>>
>let me take care of it.

What will be your reaction when he saves the world ?
>>
>>8417916
Go away Elon you are not helpful.
>>8415891
Send a heavy satellite to orbit the meteor.
With time the orbit will change and if it was very far away to begin with the meteor would miss the earth.

If its closer you can send a meteor to crash into the meteor hoping to change its orbit.

Another way would be to heat one part of the meteor using mirrors somehow so the heated gasses will change the orbit.
>>
>>8415891
Move the planet
>>
>>8415891

Best case: You have enough time to get better data on the orvit, and be able to rendezvous a gravity tractor.

Worat case: Blow it up I guess?
>>
>>8415891
>made of a lot of rare materials
Like what? Give us fucking examples.
>>
>>8417916
Maybe he should start by building rockets that don't blow up on their own, then we'll see.
>>
>>8415898
DON'T WANNA CLOSE MY EYES
>>
>>8417237
>oh no, muh market
>>
>>8415901
I think it would. Energy enough to decimate a country created in a thousandth' of a second in the size of a ball should be able to melt a part of the meteor or at best break a part off and fling it in the opposite direction, both which can alter the meteor's trajectory (opinion)
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.