[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is MIT a meme?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

File: MIT.jpg (4KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
MIT.jpg
4KB, 240x240px
Is MIT a meme?
>>
>>8413885
No
>>
>>8413885
Maybe
>>
>>8413886
>t.triggered MIT student
>>
>>8413885
>>8413891

t. MIT reject
>>
>>8413885
Meme Institute of Technology, duh.
>>
i dont go to MIT but the reason they are seen as a good school is because of the high amount of funding they get, which attracts a lot of experts in various fields (chomsky, minsky, etc.)

most of the time, quality correlates with funding
>>
>>8413900
Harvard gets 3 times the funding, yet they aren't superior to MIT in STEM.
>>
Everything's a meme to you fucking faggots
>>
>>8413895
OP here. I don't even live in the U.S.
>>
>>8413910
"is x a meme" is the meme of all time
>>
>>8413909
Actually they are, you see MIT already lost out, MIT doesn't have a medical school like Harvard. That's a lot of funding and research outcomes lost
>>
>>8413885
depends on what field you're talking about
>>
>>8413885
It wasn't at one time, but now it is
>>
File: actually.gif (11KB, 500x422px) Image search: [Google]
actually.gif
11KB, 500x422px
>>8413885
The Massachusetts Institute of Technology is a private research university in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
>>
I heard the average debt of the MIT student is like 25000$, with an average income of 87000$/year.

So it's not a meme : MIT is very great.

Harvard is a meme.

100k debt for gender studies.
>>
>>8413909

Harvard uses money for their Law, Business and Medical schools. Not everyone at Harvard wants to go into research, while essentially everyone at MIT wants to go into research

Harvard's funding doesn't seem that impressive once you see that they have to fund the non-STEM departments and schools too, while MIT has a slightly obscure management school.
>>
>>8413909
Do you think Harvard's not as good in mathematics? I doubt it to be quite honest.

I'm also interested in how do Harvard/Berkeley/Stanford/MIT/.. differ, from your point of view. Especially in mathematics, especially grad studies.
>>
>>8413885
They're as good an institution as you'll encounter.

I'd rather attend Yale than any other university though.
>>
>>8413885
You think people who go to MIT browse /sci/?
No way
>>
>>8414143
haha it ain't the same school it was! All those nice ass buildings are just a skeleton now. Filled with all the humanistic and liberal trash of our generation. These institutions only exist to spread an agenda now, unfortunately. Not MIT though---it's a good school

You couldn't pay me to go to Yale.
>>
>>8414009
Thanks for the clarification, dad.
>>
>>8414165
I really don't care what kind of people are there, I'm no socialite, their medical school would be the best fit for me.
>>
>>8414106
Berkeley is probably the worst or on par with Stanford out of the ones you've listed, at least for graduate school.

For undergraduate Stanford >> Berkeley because private institution.

In terms of mathematical ability MIT stands out in top but Harvard might have better research/funding.
>>8414160
https://warosu.org/sci/thread/S8317325#p8320319

Memorized the post number oddly enough
>>
>>8414165
Not that I disagree with you though.

https://heatst.com/culture-wars/yale-rehires-worker-who-broke-priceless-stained-glass-calhoun-window/

>>8414174
>>
>>8414192
Yeah I made that thread where the MIT anon posted so I remember that.
But that's just one instance.
>>
>>8414169
You're welcome son.
>>
>>8413885
Yeah a superior institution. It's most likely the best there is.
>>8413900
This anon has a point although I don't think they are just seen as good and funding is not just a correlation. The funding actually makes the faculty better and helps them produce better students. It's a cycle where funding makes them better which helps them get money which makes them better.
>>
File: image.jpg (69KB, 657x575px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
69KB, 657x575px
Well I'm a electrical engineer. I started out going to a local cc for general Ed and then I went to cal poly for 3 more years to get my masters. I have made friends who went to Stanford, cal tech, and Mit. They all have the same income as me, same general quality housing, and I'm just as good at my job as they are. Probably better because instead of getting stressed out on being the perfect student, I worried a lot more about working on my craft. Just as a musician, which I am one, would practice and their instrument for hours and hours, I would spend hours working with electrical appliances and reading books and talking with engineering students at the university I lived near. I got really good and I have made a fulfilling career with my talents. I also play in a few bands on weekends as a side job and I'm a part time data scientists.
>>
>>8414106
Berkeley is the real meme. Outside of chemistry they're barely better than UCLA
>>
>>8415096
Same thing for me too

I'm a mechanical engineer who went to School of Mines, and I make the same, if not more than most of my coworkers who went to MIT, Princeton, Stanford, Caltech, etc. Especially at the level of my job, the employers could care less if you went to a prestigious uni, and only care if you're experienced and passionate about your craft. Many of my coworkers started off making less than 60k/yr because unlike me, they had no actual experience working MechE outside of basic 40 hour internships where they just did paperwork and rudimentary application work.

Pretty much unless you're trying to get a PhD and/or go into extensive research of your field, going to high end unis doesn't really make sense.

Either that or I'm just a brainlet faggot that doesn't know anything about anything.
>>
>>8413885
No but your life is OP
>>
File: lablogo.jpg (73KB, 2025x204px) Image search: [Google]
lablogo.jpg
73KB, 2025x204px
Researcher at pic related
MIT campus is a bunch of fags
ask me anything
I probably won't answer
>>
>>8413930
Why would MIT have a medical school?
>>
>>8415199
Retarded undergard freshman at a small shitty school here. What's the best way to get into research? Pretty much all professors seem to want experience which seems impossible to get. Comp sci major, but willing to do anything at this point desu.
>>
>tfw in the middle of applying for undergrad
>everyone is applying to really good schools along with me
>no clue what to think about any of it besides "they all seem pretty neat"
Is MIT really just a meme? Seems like it isn't. But with that acceptance rate I kind of wish it just was one.
>>
>>8415295
Because free funding that can easily be channelled for better quality research in other fields, med is a cash pull.
>>
>>8413891
Someone answers the question and you call them triggered. This is the future ladies and gentlemen
>>
>>8415302

(not 199)

Just be enthusiastic and willing to work on projects that aren't directly related to your primary interest. I'm an accounting major and I got a job working in a chem lab by being willing to do some coding work for their equipment.
>>
>>8413885
It's becoming a meme with all the hard luck cases they take.
>>
>>8415127
>>8414192

The average person at schools like MIT generally fits the same demographic as the most hard-working people at less prestigious universities. The only way that going to schools like these makes a genuine difference is if (a) you're able to cash in on the name brand of your school or (b) you're able to make connections with people having pull with prestigious graduate programs (if you're going into academia).

In my case, I went to Columbia. Overall, we're ranked higher than MIT, but we're ranked a bit lower than MIT in my major area (computer science). When I went to graduate school, I didn't have an issue being accepted to schools like Princeton, likely because Princeton recognizes the Columbia name. I was also able to take advantage of the Columbia name when it came time to enter the workforce--first-year compensation at my first job after graduate school was in the vicinity of 200k/yr.
>>
>>8416021
The Princeton name probably helped more than the Columbia name tbqh

but that's honestly really neat senpai
>>
>>8415302
do an REU
>>
>>8413885
Lrn2meme
>>>8411321
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.