[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The science of 4chan

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 13

File: image.jpg (128KB, 1013x586px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
128KB, 1013x586px
We /fieldofstudy/ now

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1610.03452v1.pdf
>>
File: 1185577897180.jpg (221KB, 500x600px) Image search: [Google]
1185577897180.jpg
221KB, 500x600px
>>8411068
>"final boss of the internet"
>>
ignoring its content, the density of loaded words used in the abstract really makes me question the value of the paper, and the quality of its writing
>>
File: 1475198540303.jpg (232KB, 720x533px) Image search: [Google]
1475198540303.jpg
232KB, 720x533px
>We /fieldofstudy/ now
>We
>identifying with /pol/
>>
>>8411080
its not much of a study.

just really basic shit they did, probably took a couple of hours in total and they got paid big.
>>
I was genuinely surprised to see an integral in this paper. I guess the social sciences are really steppin it up.
>>
This. /pol/ is a cancerous containment board. They have very little to do with actual 4chan users.
>>
>>8411068
Why didn't they bother providing a shred of evidence for any of their claims?
>>
>>8411084
>>8411114
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>8411068
This is what the eu wastes it's money on

Also here's a way better article written by some Indian bitch that describes chan culture disturbingly well

https://scholar.google.co.jp/citations?user=xESJHQ4AAAAJ
http://enculturation.camden.rutgers.edu/attaining-the-ninth-square

>Simultaneously, the Slowpoke-Geass instantiation attests to a return to orality as a mode of memory preservation in a transient digital environment without an archive. Taken together, these case studies illustrate the destabilizing ontological encounters typical to 4chan and the cybertextual practices required to productively engage with the site.

>These discursive practices must be enacted simultaneously through use of multiple tabs, frequent refreshing, and individual conservation in order to sustain an archive and manufacture institutional memory.

>This interaction transpires largely around trolling and memetic activity. It also occurs around the negotiation between ludus—rule-governed systems with a predesigned goal, ending with a clear triumph or defeat—and paidia, objectiveless, freeform, explorative play founded on the pleasure of the player’s mental and physical exertions (Frasca). This lusory behavior galvanizes permutative, combinatorial, and transformative discursive play. 4chan’s cybertextual and lusory qualities are thus imbricated in its production and preservation of institutional memory in a uniquely transient setting. Users’ ontological encounters with synchronicity, anonymity, and ephemerality engender distinct discursive processes that lay down principles for future communal practices and archive maintenance.
>>
>>8411192
I find this ludis/padia terminology interesting.

>4chan’s continual and anti-systematic contingency is unpredictable and destabilizing. According to Knuttila, contingency is created through moderators’ site modifications and additionally self-generated by 4channers, who respond subversively through ludic memetic incorporation—“gaming the system”—using hacks or unofficial script alterations to reclaim 4chan’s interfaces, including ASCII modifications to usernames,11 :stopmusic: and similar functions, and digital steganography (Knuttila).

>Even accountability measures such as the recently instated ID tags on /b/,12 intended to undermine 4chan’s intrinsic subjectivity, actually further cybertextual reading processes. The tags are only useful when users expend effort to correlate tags to posts, usually to identify trolls using the multiple-use, shared Anonymous identity for deceptive, sock-puppet purposes.

>Knuttila determines that the convergence of contingency and alterity radicalizes 4chan’s culture as one of automatic subversion and dissent via flaming, trolling, or mimetic attack. Because of this, he suggests that contingency is an embedded element of automatic dissent and that, within this culture, nothing is sacred, everything may be criticized, and anything remotely hierarchical or authoritative will be subverted (Knuttila).

>>8411118
Because lite "sciences" are paid to confirm biases so that people in positions of power can cite them
They arent there for truth
>>
>>8411191
lol?

go back to red[math][/math]dit
>>
>>8411196
>Because lite "sciences" are paid to confirm biases so that people in positions of power can cite them
Ayy
>http://rsos.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/3/9/160384
>>
File: 1475266597725.jpg (26KB, 600x375px) Image search: [Google]
1475266597725.jpg
26KB, 600x375px
>>8411068
>4chan's Politically Incorrect Forum
>>
File: 1475946263959s.jpg (2KB, 125x113px) Image search: [Google]
1475946263959s.jpg
2KB, 125x113px
>>8411192
>sociological bullshit

kys
>>
>>8411483
Imagine writing a proposal looking for funding for a project like this
>>
>>8411114
A third of activity on 4chan is in /pol/.
4chan isn't an sjw safespace for special snowflakes like you anymore.
4chan is a mainstream website now.
>>
>>8411583
...you're so dump it actually did manage to astonish me
4chan was the bastion of free speech for years before we went mainstream. It was as anti-hugbox as it is. It's the mainstream media that's a safe space, not 4chan, you dump newfag cunt.
>>
>>8411494
I don't think this project had any funding.
I think the author just browsed /pol/ for free.
>>
>>8411068
>https://arxiv.org/pdf/1610.03452v1.pdf
>In this Section we display some of our rare Pepe collection.
This is troll paper
>>
>To some extent, this illustrates how quickly /pol/ can execute on a raid, but also how short of an attention span its users have

This is gold. I'm putting this in the office.
>>
>>8411633
It was commissioned and funded by the UN

If you google the names of the researchers you'll see they're very real people who obviously picked up on some of the jargon
>>
>>8411068
Is this the kind of shit you end up doing when you study sociology?
>>
>>8411097
>got paid big

You don't work in academia do you?
>>
>>8411652
It is a compsci paper.
>>
>>8411627
They got paid in hot pockets
>>
>>8411649
I wonder if their time spent on there changed their ideas about anything.

When you stare into the abyss for too long, it will stare back.
>>
>>8411068
if you didn´t know this you should leave this board. This means that if you care for this board let it get to its conclusions without you. love me aka you, cus we the same.
>>
>>8411068
>https://arxiv.org/pdf/1610.03452v1.pdf
this cant be fucking real
>>
>>8411483
An image board is a type of forum.
>>
File: 1473742778056.jpg (71KB, 474x641px) Image search: [Google]
1473742778056.jpg
71KB, 474x641px
/pol/ is a board of peace and 4chan a land of tolerance.
>>
File: polfags.jpg (267KB, 960x652px) Image search: [Google]
polfags.jpg
267KB, 960x652px
>>8411191

>>>/pol/
>>
File: polfags.jpg (40KB, 1441x422px) Image search: [Google]
polfags.jpg
40KB, 1441x422px
>>8411844
>>
>>8411068
Wow, they talk about integrals and the Dirac distribution. Sociology decided to step it up I guess?
>>
/pol/'s growing popularity is a natural backlash to the long reign of political correctness in US/Europe, people are starved for unfiltered interaction
>>
>>8411890
Where is the nigger that keeps crying about white oppression, SJWtard that keeps bitching about patriarchy and the jihadist achmed who keeps making fun of the dead american soldiers? It's missing a lot of resident pol stereotypes.
>>
>>8411205
You're a reddit faggot if you aren't /pol/. This is 4chan faggot.
>>
>>8411929
back to /cesspol/, honey, away with you
>>
>Stringhini
Now thatsa spicy meataball
>>
>>8411068
That it's only on arxiv, the authors don't reference it on their pages and that the grant is already expired shows that even in cybersecurity, the anus of CS, peer-review is working
>>
>>8411068
So the worst thing /pol/ does is use the n and k words ? oh wow I'm browsing there too if thats all there is to it.
>>
>>8412103
>cybersecurity, the anus of CS

How so?
>>
Not related but anyone has that post of the anon explaining the distribution of GETs in 4 chan?
>>
>>8412131
They just make web crawls, throw some analysis at it and look for some hypothesis in the results or just make the most obvious claim possible, make up a witty name for their paper and are proud that mainstream media cites their work. I have seen 0 results from them but they feed the buzzword machine and get a shitton of funding. Literally social sciences with a stronger statistics background and a big cluster
>>
>>8411843
So they're doing pretty well as adjuncts go?
>>
>>8411192
>>This interaction transpires largely around trolling and memetic activity. It also occurs around the negotiation between ludus—rule-governed systems with a predesigned goal, ending with a clear triumph or defeat—and paidia, objectiveless, freeform, explorative play founded on the pleasure of the player’s mental and physical exertions (Frasca). This lusory behavior galvanizes permutative, combinatorial, and transformative discursive play. 4chan’s cybertextual and lusory qualities are thus imbricated in its production and preservation of institutional memory in a uniquely transient setting. Users’ ontological encounters with synchronicity, anonymity, and ephemerality engender distinct discursive processes that lay down principles for future communal practices and archive maintenance.
this is fucking word soup
>>
friendly reminder most published papers are only read by 2 or 3 people
>>
File: 1475448073928s.jpg (8KB, 250x182px) Image search: [Google]
1475448073928s.jpg
8KB, 250x182px
>Dirac delta
>FUNCTION
>>
>>8412473
fuck off Paidia scum
>>
>>8411114
>This. /pol/ is a cancerous containment board. They have very little to do with actual 4chan users.

That's extremely naive.

You don't have to actually visit /pol/ or /r9k/ or support any of their views, but the mere fact that you're aware or "repill" and all the racist ideology through 4chan, and the fact that you wouldn't be exposed to these contrarian ideas if it wasn't for such web sites, says that it has a lot of influence and a lot to do with all 4chan users.

It's like hating your favorite national sport and telling others you have nothing to do with it. Yes, you don't play it, but even the act of rejecting it to the ones around you puts you in its context. It means it has a spot in your mind, you have opinions about it, take it into account when discussing other things, and so on.
>>
>>8411097
>they spent 40 hours a week for 6 months grant-writing and churned out a study after 2 hours of shitposting

Sounds like a thesis to me.
>>
File: pol.png (237KB, 1174x643px) Image search: [Google]
pol.png
237KB, 1174x643px
>>8411097
It's not a bad paper.
It's basic data analysis, but generating statistic of post content (hate speech) per time per county and cross correlating links and youtube comments, together with 30 sensible graphs on a 15 page paper is not something you do in 2 hours.

Although when you read the abstract and some of the content, they either a) are long 4chan users themselves or b) try to appeal to the 4chan audience. E.g. they show the most commonly posted picture, a pepe, and call it "probably the least rare pepe" which should go over the heads of the academic audience.
>>
>>8413613
It is poorly written though it's way too verbose and I don't know whether that can be chalked up to only one of the researchers being a native English speaker or what but you shouldn't have to perform an analysis of the statements themselves to figure out what they're saying
>>
>section 9. Rare pepes
>>
>>8413613
Don't forget the fucking rare pepe "collection" at the end of the paper
>>
File: hate comments per second.png (39KB, 586x545px) Image search: [Google]
hate comments per second.png
39KB, 586x545px
>>8413613
I love this. /pol/ finally has a performance metric. You can never stop improving, Red Queen and that stuff.
>>
>>8411196
>mimetic attack
kek
>>
File: Capture.png (979KB, 870x933px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
979KB, 870x933px
>the rare pepe figures at the end
I haven't seen this much shitposting in a paper since the EM drive paper
>>
>>8414018
Keked irl
>>
>>8414018
At least this one didn't claim to fundamentally change the nature of nature itself
>>
>>8411068
>I'm not shitposting, I'm doing /science/
>here's my 400 page case study on memes
The lengths you'll go to justify the time you wasted on 4chan
>>
>>8411924
>>>8411890
>Where is the nigger that keeps crying about white oppression, SJWtard that keeps bitching about patriarchy and the jihadist achmed who keeps making fun of the dead american soldiers? It's missing a lot of resident pol stereotypes.
See troll.
>>
File: pepe stylish.jpg (83KB, 600x696px) Image search: [Google]
pepe stylish.jpg
83KB, 600x696px
>>8411068
memes make the world go around
>>
>>8415953
just don't fall victim to a memetic attack
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.