[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Super legit science question

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_0361.gif (488KB, 460x336px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0361.gif
488KB, 460x336px
Does /sci/ like carl?
>>
He was a crank
>>
>Reddits le hero xD IFLS!!!

But other than that yeah hes pretty cool I guess.
>>
One of my favorite scientists. He was cool as fuck. We've lost a lot if great minds to cancer.
>>
he was truly le epic. epic for the win

edit: thanks for the gold!!
>>
>>8409700

We needed a popscience hero and he was the popscience hero we deserved.
>>
he was an eloquent speaker and writer but that doesn't take away from his meme status

that being said watching cosmos when i was 13 was pretty inspiring, but the way people jerk off over him is depressing
>>
>>8410094
>his meme status
>
>the way people jerk off over him is depressing
Not attacking you or anything, but I never quite understood this attitude. First, is it bad to have people you look up to and admire? Second, are those who excel at inspiring others through speech and/or writing somehow less worthy or being looked up at, and if so, why?

I think that people like Sagan are important for getting people interested in science and technology. The average person can't extract any value from hard, dry science because it's so far removed from everyday life. Someone has to bridge the gap and make it approachable and intriguing.

It's all anecdotes but as an example I owe my appreciation of the sciences to watching Bill Nye as a kid, as well as to my parents "bridging the gap" by making the wonders of the universe as palatable as they could to the mind of a kid. If it weren't for them I wouldn't have that appreciation and in fact likely wouldn't have my current well paid career.
>>
He was cool, way better than Meme deWeed 420son. Contact was a nice read.
>>
>>8409700
He's the best science educator ever.

Bill Nye, Michio Cuckold and Neil DeGrasse are trash.
>>
>>8409700
He was an actual scientist with real accomplishments.
>>8410343
This.
Nye and DeGrasse are comedians.
>>
>>8410324
Contact was cuckoldry in novel format

>muh strong wymin scientist who don't need no man
>>
>>8410479
Confirmed didn't read past page 40. Faggot.
>>
>>8410094
>but that doesn't take away from his meme status

Sagan did a lot of research. Another job of his was also reporting science to inspire the younger and, why not, other adults who might get interested in it.

He was a brilliant astronomer and a great person. Tired of your stupid elitism, /sci/
>>
>>8410146
>>8411697
you guys misunderstand, i respect his scientific work perfectly well

he just gets lumped in with other "popularizers" and every "i love science xD" person cites him as a favorite.
>>
>>8409700
Feynman is better and actually an important scientist.
>>
Do I get to be a respected figure in science if I write books for teenagers rebelling against their catholic parents? He hardly accomplished a thing, he was just a talking head.
>>
Feynman was the only non-meme popularizer.
>>
File: crypp.gif (3MB, 480x255px) Image search: [Google]
crypp.gif
3MB, 480x255px
Sagan? Ehmm... fuck, no!
>>
>>8410343
I agree except for Bill Nye. Bill Nye was fucking great. Although I think I should put a bit of emphasis on the was.
>>
>>8412283
'was great' as in he was great in our eyes when we were in elementary school
>>
File: image.png (94KB, 938x823px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
94KB, 938x823px
>>8410388
This. He worked at NASA and on the voyager missions. Based Carl.
>>
>>8411733
That's not Carl's fault. People nowadays are just stupid.
>>
>>8412130
>worked on the voyagers
>he never accomplished anything lol
He accomplished more than most of /sci/.
>>
>>8412130
He pushed for the mariner, Viking, voyager and pioneer missions which revolutionized our understanding of the solar system.

>b-but muh ivory tower!
>space probes aren't real science!

Okay faggot.
>>
Actual scientist who created the popsci entertainment meme unlike the others who were in comparison MS or PhD holders with no real accomplishments.
>>
>>8412351
Popsci entiertainment meme?

Are you actually implying there's literally anything wrong with educating the largely scientifically illiterate public about science?

Why is everyone here so pretentious?
>>
>>8412360
What I'm talking about is the "DUDE DID YOU KNOW HOW BIG SPACE IS LIKE WOAH AMIRIGHT?" popsci meme that Sagan popularized. Not saying that his version is cancerous and it being a meme doesn't make it bad. In fact I got into Biochemistry because of people like Sagan. However most people here see it as entry level so to speak. I don't mind and even like talking to people about basic things in my field that excite me and they don't understand but there are plenty of others that get annoyed at this. The real reason why people here hate it is that many here are a bunch of uptight faggots who spent too much money on a degree and didn't get a good job because of poor grades or poor marketable skills getting sour at popular people spouting popsci memes and getting good money for doing so. Not going to lie I wish I could be like Vsauce spending about 20 hours worth of research into a video and getting bank for what is essentially an undergrad paper's worth of material.
>>
>>8412321
>>8412340
yes and I'm glad he did those things, but popularizing science, speculating about science and writing about science are not in and of themselves science and he did not contribute anything to actual human knowledge
>>
>>8412400
You think he didn't actually conduct science as the head of astrophysical research at Cornell?

How dumb are you?
>>
>>8412491
oh yeah he lead the planetary studies lab for a few years right? shit I forgot, what significant discoveries did he make again?
>>
>>8412382
>DUDE DID YOU KNOW HOW BIG SPACE IS LIKE WOAH AMIRIGHT?

Telling people that science teaches humility and curiosity is probably the most important thing you can learn about it. Especially in undergrad or beyond where some people are on a constant power trip where they believe they're a superior race. It's about breaking the historical cycle of human egocentrism that cucks us from advancing as a species.

Why the fuck do you think we're not in mars right now ? Because dumbfuck politicians have no incentives to do stuff besides being re-elected and avoiding total anihilation by the opposing block. Either way the concern is power because muh monkey brain.

It is litterally possible that we all die here because the masses are too stupid to rebel against the gentle self masturbation of modern entertainement and the leaders too content about the hardcore masturbation that power gives.
>>
>>8412516

Nothing much to be honest, he discovered that the temperature on Venus was off the charts in comparison with it's distance to the sun and discovered the effect of a carbon dioxide atmosphere on a planet's temperature, thought a little bit further and then had this hunch for this unimportant minor effect that's going on in the earth. Nobody really believes in it: Global warming.

He was also the first to promote a serious theory on the formation of life (as in with actual experimental data); But that's not really scientific right.

He was among the first to theorize oceans on titan. Which proved right but, you could have done it anon.

Also he's the guy that had the fucking idea about the gold disc on the voyager spacecraft, so thanks to him for basically conserving something of our culture while we blow ourselves into collective oblivion.

He did other minor stuff, such as teaching at harvard, working at NASA on the majority of the probes we sent to space, so... you know, no biggie.
>>
>>8411733
I don't understand the "I love science" type. If you love it, be a practitioner and contribute. Shit or get off the pot. Kurzweill types keep trying to sell hydrocarbon technology as a new religion. It's stone age tech. But then again, they also think their new twitter,vine,zoopon app will transcend human thought
>>
>>8412283
>vehemently denounces GMOs
>visits Monsanto HQ
>GMOs are great guys
Real scientist of supreme integrity gets his head turned on some dollar dollar bills yaw
>>
>>8412578
This

Also the biggest argument about Bill Nye is actually hearing him talk about shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROe28Ma_tYM

I'm a foundation math masters, philosophy undergrads are a meme but even I cringed at this, just look at him attempting to formulate a coherent thought and failing miserably, it's like he's high.
>>
>>8412360
Everyone subsequent envies the Sagan tradition and are illegitimate variants. To distinguish themselves beyond prototypical meme status requires more ambitious thinking in education, not more 'you're all stardust' kumbaya
>>
>>8412545
I'll give you Venus and Titan but desu someone else would've done both of those things anyway and he just got to it first, abiogenesis is a ridiculous theory and the data he uses to support it is totally inane, the gold discs on voyager is among the memiest of memes that ever got taken seriously by NASA
also you keep saying he "worked on" shit at NASA, he didn't do jack shit, he promoted it to the public and made minor suggestions
he was a popstar scientist, nothing would be different today had he not existed
>>
>>8412600
>I'll give you Venus and Titan but desu someone else would've done both of those things anyway and he just got to it first
That can be said for pretty much anything in science, you ass.

If anyone is being a popsci fag it's YOU, because you've bought into this ridiculous notion that the only scientists who matter are the 'stars' of the scientific world.
>>
>>8412600
>I'll give you discovering global warming
Still not an important scientist

Kill yourself
>>
>>8412612
Second line is supposed to be greentext here
>>
>>8409700
Honestly, not really. I'm a mere freshman in physics but I tend to follow more of Tyson and Bill Nye.
>>
>>8410388
Yeah but the whole point of Sagan was that he was a popular science guy that talked about education. My role models for great scientists are more often than not my professors.
>>
I can tell you by means of my omniscience that at least 1/3 of the faggots in here had Sagan as an important figure that inspired them to aspire a scientific career, including me. So, no matter whos jerking off on him right now,or what the memegod says, he was an important figure.

respect +1
>>
>>8412616
When you get to about half of your first year you'll get to realize that they're mostly full of shit about facts, promoting stupid science and chad attitudes.

There are accounts of NdT charching 75K to students for an astrophysics lecture where he literally read Carl Sagan texts, talked about k-12 level pop science and made fun of humanities students. Just watch him talk or look up his twitter and make your goddamn mind.

>>8412620

If you had been accepted at Harvard or Cornell he would have been your role model then.

>>8412625
He left us so soon. There are still members of the old guard like Zubrin who will passionately science and conserve the humanist outlook.
>>
>>8412604
well yeah, picking up data and drawing simple conclusions is nothing worthy of a huge shrine in the science hall of fame
for example Newton's theories of kinematics required work and mental power to do but figuring out that there's a force that makes stuff fall did not
>>
>>8412633
>>trash

Then explain why nobody did it 2K years earlier ? There has always been at least one top notch civilization in that period, measurements were available and extremely precise.

Because Newton invented integral calculus which is a formidable tool that's necessary to comprehend the equations of movement. Retard.
>>
>>8412629
How would he be my fucking rolemodel? Btw I'm samefagging for the top two replies. My point is that NdT and bill nye work to make america think, idgaf if he charged that amount for a lecture. The people who paid for it are stupid, not NdT. I really don't see how they spout out bullshit facts...
>>
>>8412664
>My point is that NdT and bill nye work to make america think
>Gives shitty K-12 lecture to masters students for 75K and gets away with it
Really makes you think

>"My role models for great scientists are more often than not my professors."
>How would he be my fucking rolemodel? (If I was in a college that he taught in)
Following NdT and Nye really made ya think good, boi.

>"My point is that NdT and bill nye work to make america think"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROe28Ma_tYM
Really makes you think huh ?
Whatever shit they say is either inaccurate movie stuff or ripped of from Sagan anyway.

Get back to whatever fucking highschool you crawled out of.
>>
The more charismatic popularisers of science we have, the better. We need to capture the interest of kids in science and keep them interested in these difficult to master subjects beyond their desire to potentially prove how smart they are, get in to a good university and make money in the future.

Sagan was great at this. Cosmos is seminal. Nobody ever said he was Einstein's equivalent but yet he did make significant contributions and this is significantly more than each one of his haters will ever achieve. Yes, he isn't the coolest kid in the world and his style is a bit stoner-y at times but so what? It's not like Chad Thundercock, who thinks he's lame, was ever going to be a world changing physicist, is it? Carl wasn't speaking to Chad.

It is hard for me to imagine what a petty, miserable and jealous faggot someone would have to be to actually hate Carl Sagan. Reading this >>8412600 anon's comments gave me some insights, though.

If you aren't trolling, then please do as that other anon asked and kys. Humanity will just have to do without your contributions.
>>
>>8412683
I didn't pay for those, idgaf. If you watch these guys speak on the media though, they are truly inspiring. I love watching NdT defeat the arguments of flatearthers and people who think global warming is a hoax, it's hilarious. How would he be my professor if he is dead, is my point. God you are so fucking stupid man.
>>
>>8412683
I will admit Bill Nye didn't give a great response in that vid but I mainly follow NdT. I just like that they are out there defeating the idiotic arguments of conservatives that vote for people who will never allow this nation to progress in STEM.
>>
>>8412691
>Muh inspirationnal bullshit

>>8412694
The thing is NdT is playing on another level when he does this. Any fool knows that actually responding to crackpots/extremists actually spreads their opinions and give legitimacy to their voice. This is why any competent politician never negotiates with terrorists. This is the big problem when you debate global warming even though it's a 99% of the scientific community agrees it's a thing, the media will always present the issue 1V1 and you get the impression that it's not so clearcut. This is also why Trump is in such a good place in the polls, there is a .98 correlation between his polls and the coverage he gets, and he knows how to get coverage. That's how he went from minor annoyance to republican nominee.

When NdT raps against those fucking flat earthers, not only he contributes to their point of view and makes it seem like something to actually debate about. But moreso he doesn't close the debate, he doesn't invite to observe together, he's insulting, he's dismissive. That's terrible for someone who is a science popularizer because it makes kids think it's ok to treat people like that just because science is on your side.

In truth, he knows he will never convince his opponent with that kind of rethoric. What he wants is a flame war so he can get more TV time. There's a reason why fucking americans still teach creationism, talk to any southerners about liberal atheist, they'll tell you that they're arrogant little know it alls because that's what they've encountered (Usually you hear the most from the more vocal extreme part of a community), and they're de-facto closed to their point of view because of that. If you came to such people and talked to them about how you can breed dogs to inherit certain characters and that it may happen randomly in nature, they'll agree, they've seen it first hand. It's down to earth stuff, and they will accept it. But never if you treat them like retarded people.
>>
>>8412728
>>8412694
(cont)

Plus he's constantly wrong about a ton of shit. Never corrects it or aknowledges it.
He acts like a cringy manchild on twitter
Talks profusely about fields he was no knowledge about, interrupts actual doctors of that field to tell shit.
The Hayden Planetarium he's in charge of is literally falling apart, he doesn't give a shit, he's never there.
He often expresses superiority to other fields when the fucker failed half the diplomas he applied to and never published besides in associate so that some people can have papers with his name on it.
He keeps on jerking off about being the inheritor to Sagan's position when he is absolutely everything the man wished to fight against in America. He doesn't know shit about humility.
He literally cannot approach a subject without the lens of hollywood pop science
He is divisive instead of bringing people together
He takes people for idiots constantly and dumbs down everything he explains all the time. Perhaps because he's a bad science communicator, perhaps because he truly thinks people are idiots, perhaps because he doesn't actually know shit. Meanwhile Sagan took his time and could explain extra-dimensional perspectives to a child in 15 minutes.
>>
>/sci/guide/books

Ctrl+F Tyson
0 results

Ctrl+F Nye
0 results

Ctrl+F Sagan
4 results:
-One book in best-of Astronomy/Cosmology
-One book in best-of philosophy of science
-One book in best-of skepticism (Sagan was one of the founders of american skepticism)
-One book in best of sf.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.