[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the most versatile engineering field?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 4

File: engineering-blueprint.jpg (2MB, 2000x1319px) Image search: [Google]
engineering-blueprint.jpg
2MB, 2000x1319px
What's the most versatile engineering field?
>>
>>8402207

mechanical engineering

or an applied physics degree
>>
Electrical.

You can do software stuff, you can do hardware stuff, and you can do MechE stuff.
>>
>>8402207
Electrical engineering with focus on applied mathematics. You can go software or hardware or physics or finance or ....
>>
Bump. Any new opinions?
>>
Industrial engineering

But that's not real engineering though
>>
mathematics
>>
>>8402217
What about chemical engineering
>>
>>8402251
>and you can do MechE stuff.

LOOOOOOL, delusional gooks actually believe this shit
>>
>>8402207
Arguably Mechanical Engineering. It certainly is the broadest, and has been the most important engineering (after Civil) since the Industrial Revolution. In this modern world, EE has come close, but it's still not as versatile.
>>
How about environmental engineering?
>>
>>8402495
Meme degree.
>>
>>8402476
ME here, this is true when it comes to control systems. In fact, my first boss had an EE degree
>>
>>8402207
Systems engineering bar none.
For specific tasks that aren't your direct field of study ME probably has the most cross-applicable skills and knowledge but for anything larger than that I'd put all my money on systems engineering.
>>
Mechanical. I got a degree in mechanical and I'm working as a ceramics engineer.
>>
Graduated engineers what gpa did you have?
>>
>>8402639
3.25ish. Strictly engineering was like 3.8 or something, but I had a giant pile of minors as well as the pointless waste of time classes they make you take as "basics".
>>
>>8402461
Not as versatile as you might think. Almost all of us are in manufacturing. We learn a broad set of subjects, but we have pretty limited application. At least at an undergrad level, don't know how postgrad people do.
>>
>>8402461
This guy here
>>8402625

I took what should have been a chemical engineer's job. The reverse would not be true for a ChemE taking an ME's job.
>>
>>8402639
I think 3.6-ish? I remember being magna cum laude
>>
>>8402553
what the fuck do they even do?
>>
>>8402668
That should've been a materials engineer's job desu
>>
>>8402207
social engineering ;)
>>
>>8402207
Electrical, especially in the coming years which will be your work life
>>
ee by far

t. ee/math dual major
>>
Mathematical engineering
>>
physics major
math minor
>>
>>8402476
>ME thinks his field is super specialized
>Another engineer can do my job? No way you're delusional

>>8402522
Lmao rekt
>>
Whats the difference between compE and EE?
>>
>>8402207
Packaging engineering
>>
>>8403350
How many CS classes you take
>>
>>8403350
EE is employable
>>
File: BuvHiWoCcAAeKwI.jpg (36KB, 592x790px) Image search: [Google]
BuvHiWoCcAAeKwI.jpg
36KB, 592x790px
A degré in physics.

>you can continue studies whenever you want
>you can pick whatever engineering field you want
>you can apply in fields that are normally for mathematics or computer science.

A Degree in Physics is really great
>>
>>8402207
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechatronics
>>
>>8403350
EE you learn digital electronics. You could work on any level from optimizing the designs of CPUs to coding high level applied mathematics algorithm stuff.

>>8403417
Employability has Much more to do with behavior than degree.
>>
>>8402207
applied mathematics
>>
>>8402207
The question is stupid. No one alone is enough to do great things in these times. Be an engineer with broad knowledge and you can fuck them all together.
>>
>>8402973
They typically hire chemical engineers for it. There's a couple industrial too.
>>
>>8402522
That's the only field of ME that overlaps with EE besides electromechanical systems in general. And there's a hell of a lot more to ME than just controls.
>>
>>8402639
4.0 overall, 3.85 major (ME). I know that sounds ridiculous, but it's possible when A+'s count as 4.33 grade points. Yeah, I fucked up a couple ME classes. Not that ME is hard or anything; I'm just stupid.
>>
File: 1475021513531.jpg (36KB, 334x400px) Image search: [Google]
1475021513531.jpg
36KB, 334x400px
>>8404475
>A+'s count as 4.33 grade points
What the actual fuck
>>
>>8404475
>A+'s
Did you go to a meme school?
>>
>>8404475

>A+s

you're either a lying high school brainlet

or a brainlet going to the chittiest school in the nation

fuck off either way
>>
>>8402207
Civil engineering. Check Mate
>>
>>8404504
Yep.
>>8404513
State university known for engineering college among other things. I wondered the same, and after researching some other universities, I found that Caltech does the same thing (though, many other top universities don't).
>>
>>8404528
Never heard of a college giving A+ as a mark.

Any grad school will recalibrate all those to 4.0s for you when reviewing your credentials.
>>
>>8404521
Caltech, Stanford, and Columbia all use the same system. Although, at Caltech, at least more recently, it is considered a 4.3 scale.
>>
>>8403110
> in this paper sigma now means...
That's just called math. Why mathematicians in different fields don't understand each other's syntax
>>
>>8404522
best be trolling nigger.
>>
>>8402710
Slowly and excruciatingly pointing out the surprisingly obvious.
>>
>>8404589
in all infrastructure there is a civil engineer. Roads, bridges, Buildings, pipes, ducts, canals, dams, power plants, etc.
What other engineering can know, or do that much
>>
File: 534521234.jpg (13KB, 441x167px) Image search: [Google]
534521234.jpg
13KB, 441x167px
>tfw after being in engineering school for 4 years you don't want to be an engineer anymore.

honestly, i just want a comfy gig with mediocre pay where i don't have to work to hard. junior engineers get ridden like town bicycles in industry.

kind of want to try my hand at farming.

whats an ez job for mech E?
>>
>>8404606
So mechanical engineering - but only with concrete and steel.
>>
>>8402553
What is the difference between systems engineering and computer engineering?
>>
>>8404612
Manufacturing engineer at a box factory?
>>
>>8404614
nah, Civils actually diverge from Mechanicals quite a bit. Its mostly environmental stuff, GIS/surveying, and soil mechanics.
>>
>>8404618
They're worlds apart. Systems engineering typically involves project planning and management, engineering economic analysis, trade studies (pros and cons of different engineering solutions/designs), and, if you're lucky, some conceptual design.
>>
>>8402301
>Electrical engineering with focus on applied mathematics. You can go software or hardware or physics or finance or ....

This. I remember many of the EEs at my undergrad minored in math. A few doubled in electrical engineering and applied mathematics.
>>
Industrial design :^)
>>
Industrial engineering
>>
ME or EE. Pick your poision.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.