[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

slowing aging and rejuvenation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 1455835347896.png (553KB, 520x844px) Image search: [Google]
1455835347896.png
553KB, 520x844px
I don't post in /sci/ often, I just come here once in a while. In my sparse visits through the last few years I have seem a few anons who were interested on slowing aging and rejuvenation.
I am a 4th year bio major, but I have been reading aging related papers for 6 years and had the opportunity to work in a famous anti aging lab in the US for a brief period and I am currently working in a small lab in Brazil in anti aging as well. I don't like to display personal info on 4chan so I will not give a lot of details, it's just so you know I have actual experience with this.

in this thread I invite all anons interested in the topic to discuss what you are doing, what you have learned and wish to learn about this wonderful field of science.

There is one thing everyone unfamiliar with the subject needs to know first:
this kind of research is very different from the medical approach given to aging so far. thanks to numerous treatments, sanitation and healthcare, we are able to increase our lifespan by a really nice amount. but right now, doctors see aging as a natural process and simply aim to treat the pathologies that come with it, without focusing on the common causation of all these pathologies: senescence.

(cont)
>>
File: 1455591307897.png (396KB, 1200x750px) Image search: [Google]
1455591307897.png
396KB, 1200x750px
The only widespread preventive action recommended so far is healthy diet and exercise. The proposition of anti aging, however, is to use drugs or other treatments to slow the process of senescence itself, not only increasing lifespan but the healthspan of living beings as well. There are A LOT of studies that were successful on delaying senescence on HEALTHY mammals so far, and I will try to post as many reviewed articles as possible, as the thread goes on, as well as tell you the political gossip that influenced the field as well (for you freshmen, know that political views DO influence what gets accepted as fact or gets funded in science. suprised?)

for patient and scientifically lectured anons, here is a great article to start getting into the field:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0092867413006454
>>
>>8398675
https://discord.gg/Bwhz4Pr
>>
>>8398675
Didn't we just have a thread like this with "Is ageing going to be cured before I die" 2-3 weeks ago, and the SENS thread which died yesterday?

Anyways good luck on creating indefinite lifespans for humans anon.
>>
>>8399501
really? I think I missed those threads
as I said I'm not an avid /sci/ poster

SENS is bullshit though. Every legit professor that studied anti ageing didn't take DeGrey seriously
>>
>>8398675
What do you think about
https://www.technologyreview.com/s/542371/a-tale-of-do-it-yourself-gene-therapy/
>>
Brainlet. When can I expect anti-ageing medicine within this century for the public to buy?
>>
>>8398677
Is it possible? Probably. In your lifetime? No.

It would involve way too much fine-tuning on a molecular level, the likes of which we are incapable of right now. All the great tools we have microbiology, like crispr, have been discovered and not invented. We are incredibly reliable on the tools nature gives us rather than ones we make ourselves. That halts progress, limits what we can explore. We would need to see an explosion in innovation for such a thing to be possbile.

Also look up de Grey anti aging institute
>>
>>8400153
a lot of shit that worked on rodents so far is easily available for the public, like aspirin, nootropics and fullerenes.
but keep in mind NONE of that stuff was tested in humans and none, for obvious reason, was proven to extend lifespan on humans. there are, however, tons of companies trying to milk your money selling you bullshit. that's why being scientifically knowledgeable on this field is so important.

>>8400160
did you read the paper?
>>
>>8400181
>None of that was tested in humans.
Can I get a best guess in which testing on humans will occur?
>>
>>8400181
Alright. When can I expect working for humans anti-ageing medicine for the public? 2030, 2050, 2070, Somewhere pass my death?
>>
>>8400273
aspirin and rapamyacin are drugs that were already used on humans for other reasons. that doesn't mean that a daily adminstration for years on people with no diseases at all is safe or will be approved.

>>8400430
in my opinion, you should get educated on the field and start using stuff that worked on rodents/dogs and showed no adverse effects on humans TODAY, if you have the money.
the older you get, the more damage your body will suffer with ageing. most of that stuff PREVENTS the damage but does not fix it, which is one of the problems with the current techniques.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.