[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why can't mathematicians solve real life problems?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: 1472587073506.png (283KB, 714x335px) Image search: [Google]
1472587073506.png
283KB, 714x335px
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Prize_Problems

Only a handful of them may have practical implications.
Almost all the useful work is made in silence by physicists/mathematical physicists and engineers.

>By and large it is uniformly true that in mathematics there is a time lapse between a mathematical discovery and the moment it becomes useful; and that this lapse can be anything from 30 to 100 years, in some cases even more; and that the whole system seems to function without any direction, without any reference to usefulness, and without any desire to do things which are useful.

Johann von Neumann
>>
>>8397601
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Prize_Problems
I meant to post this link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unsolved_problems_in_mathematics.
>>
File: 1474198637289.png (1MB, 1064x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1474198637289.png
1MB, 1064x1080px
>he is bound by the real world
Don't bend, ascend!
>>
>>8397621
Off of this board with you pedophile cartoons.
>>
>>8397601
You said yourself that the practical problems are solved by engineers and physicists, so why would the mathematicians focus on those problems when there are other problems the physicists and engineers won't touch?
>>
>>8397647
>why would the mathematicians focus on those problems
To make something useful out of their lives.
>>
File: 1474311537626.jpg (49KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1474311537626.jpg
49KB, 640x640px
>>8397629
Take your baits away first. If it was the case that you are serious, then go find applications for the stuff.
>>
Mathematicians are just ahead of the curve. The things pure mathematicians worked on, such as complex numbers, euler's zeta function, etc... are all just now being employed by engineers and physicists.

The same is likely true for the mathematical work being done now. In the years to come physicists may start using "pure"mathematical structures from today.
>>
>>8397651
But those problems are (potentially) useful. They may not be useful during the lifetime of the mathematician but they're useful to people in the future.
>>
>>8397651
>To make something useful out of their lives.
Do musicans make "something useful out of their lives"?
Some people enjoy math and produce the content.
Sometimes there is even a practical spin-off.

Go somewhere else with your literally (literally) fascist attitude, telling people what they should work and how they should live their lives.
>>
>>8397693
In a way math is like internet memes. Pure math is 4chan, physics is ebaumsworld, and engineering is reddit.
>>
>>8397876
made me chuckle
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.