[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much sleep do you need?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

File: 1471425179885.jpg (934KB, 1200x3316px) Image search: [Google]
1471425179885.jpg
934KB, 1200x3316px
How much sleep do you need?
>>
sleep is for pussies
>>
I've been on a Everyman polyphasic sleep cycle for nearly 9 months until July.
That's 3 hours of sleep per night and 3 naps during the day, each 20 minutes long.
With these cycles, you are basically maximizing REM sleep, while minimizing sleep altogether.
>>
>>8397533
Any side-effects? I tried some years ago but after some time waking up from the naps was a pain, I don't like sleeping a lot
>>
>>8397253
After years of getting between 3-5 hours I decided to try and get at least 8 every day this week. I have been waking up more tired than ever and it feels like 8 isn't enough. But through out the day I feeling amazing.
>>
File: polysleep.png (315KB, 1281x766px) Image search: [Google]
polysleep.png
315KB, 1281x766px
>>8397253

is this a meme /sci/?
>>
>>8397253
>>8397533
>>8397575
Are there any merits to these sleeping patterns?
>>
>>8397575
I honestly don't understand people who are able to take power naps. Even if I'm tired, it takes over an hour for me to fall asleep, and during the daytime I usually can't sleep at all regardless of how tired I am, so if I wanted to take a power nap I'd basically have to be a fortune teller and adjust my alarm clock accordingly. I guess it's cool if you can fall asleep immediately at any time of the day but for me that would be impossible.
>>
>>8397253
It's genetic.
>>
File: 1475528138449.jpg (856KB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1475528138449.jpg
856KB, 2560x1600px
Guys dont worry, ill invent a product that will nullify the need for sleep.
>>
I sleep over 12 hours a day and drink 24 cups of coffee.
>>
>>8397253
Most of them are just rich guys (not even actually from 0 to millionaire even) and politicians aka no one actually impressive. Tesla was a hack and Edison a thief. Franklin had fairly normal schedule same with Churchill.
>>
>>8397253
why the hell is Einstein not on this list, wasn't he one of the weirdest ones ever?
>>
>>8397575
Yes.
>>8397584
Hardly.

https://www.supermemo.com/en/articles/polyphasic
>>
>>8397735
Make consciousness inside androids, then eradicate human race - disease, sleep, hunger, death all problems solved.
>>
>>8397253
>Trump
>3 hours

Maybe that's why he's always so cranky.
>>
>>8397603

Do you drink coffee? You won't feel the effect of caffeine for quite awhile before it actually stops working. I used to be the same way and couldn't fall asleep even when I was dead tired. I couldn't even fathom taking one nap. But if you cut out caffeine entirely, it becomes far easier to power nap. I just don't care to cut my sleep down from around 6-7 hours a night so I don't bother with it.
>>
>>8397775
>Most of them are just rich guys (not even actually from 0 to millionaire even) and politicians aka no one actually impressive.
How is being the leader of a world power not impressive? Do you think they just sit around all day? They have to constantly interact with people, make decisions, and deliver speeches in front of millions of people. That sounds exhausting.
>>
>>8397253
I sleep 9-12 hours a day.
>>
>>8397795

That was a very interesting read, thank you.
>>
>>8397885
Mostly because you are chosen by people without direct correlation to competences and how competent you were is never objectively judged anyway. While they are supposed to be charismatic and have stressful jobs it isn't really the same as being one of a kind prodigy moving entire fields of science forward.
>>
>>8397900
are you me
>>
I read an interesting article on the evolutionary origin of sleep - the re-uptake of synaptic neurotransmitters.

I wonder how much sleep a person gets corresponds to neurotransmitter re-uptake and if it's still a significant factor in why we sleep. Obviously these polyphasic patterns and power-naps raise questions about the necessary of extended periods of sleep completely.
>>
>>8397253
midnight to 6am masterrace
>>
>>8398188
>not 10pm to 5am
>>
>he gets less than 8 hours of sleep in one session
No wonder you are all brainlets.
>>
>>8397253
>voltaire drank 40 cups of coffee a day

How? Wouldn't he throw up?
>>
File: 1461983266505.jpg (246KB, 1066x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1461983266505.jpg
246KB, 1066x1600px
>>8398455
>only 40

balzac says whaddup
>>
>don't get recommended amount of sleep at night
>get fatigue and mania
I don't see the advantage 2bh
>>
Not implying I'm some sort of high-performing individual but the less sleep (<6 hours), the better what sleep I do get tends to be.
>>
>>8397253
I sleep for [math]\lim_{\delta \to 0} (24 - \delta)[/math] hours.

It is known that your productivity during the day is a function of how much sleep you get. In fact, the more sleep you get, the more productive you are. This function is
[eqn]P(t) = \frac{w}{24-t}[/eqn]
for some [math]w > 0[/math] and where [math]0 \leq t < 24[/math] the number of hours of sleep you got that night. You can plainly see that as the hours of sleep approaches 24, your productivity approaches infinity. Thus, it is only logical to sleep as close to 24 hours as possible, so that when you are awake for that infinitesimal period of time, you will be able to get an infinite amount of work done.
>>
>>8398496
id rather sleep for 24 and complete an undefined amount of work
>>
>>8398455
I once had 48 cups of coffee in a day. The only thing that happened was a jitteryness and lots of sweat the whole day.
>>
File: download.jpg (17KB, 413x395px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
17KB, 413x395px
>>8398507
>>
>>8397253
10-12 hours.
>>
>>8398512
A disclaimer: it wasn't a randomly drinking 48 cups in a day thing so that might affect my body's reaction. I probably wouldn't recommend it unless you already drink a lot. I sometimes had 48 cups in a day but I was literally only drinking coffee for a year every day. During this time I was sweating all day and jittery all day but the 48 cup-days did have a noticeable increase of jitters and sweat for the day. No problem sleeping either.
>>
>>8398512
I had 20 in one evening and I barfed. Maybe I just have a weak stomach.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.